Best vocal results

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Cube Sixty-Three, May 10, 2020.

1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

It is not STFU. it is the BIOSTFU Tool vro! Be patient. It will show up next door after Beta testing it.:headbang:

2. wavyj

wavyj Producer

Hahah yes I'm sorry, keep forgetting the full name. Great!

3. SpyFx ✪

SpyFx ✪ Guest

^ are you sure ? :) :bow:

4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Of course. I am 100% sure of what I said. An amazing/best performance is relative to the vocal ability of your singer. Good or bad that is what you aim for as a producer or engineer. But before I try to extract that, I make sure I have the best possible singer for it. In other words, with a grat singer you get it all. With a mediocre singer you only get an amazing/ best performance possible out of mediocrity.:like:

5. SpyFx ✪

SpyFx ✪ Guest

in ^ other words i think we are saying the same thing :bow:, but on my original post i ended it saying that the vocalist/performance is the most important thing....but i might be wrong :winker: :bow:

6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

:crazy: @SpyFx ✪ you asked me if I was sure that nobody had mentioned the vocalist as the most important ingredient, and I replied that I was. I read your post, and everyone else's. The way you wrote it "the most important thing is always to capture an amazing/the best performance that you possibly can first " is related to what I mentioned but not the same. In fact, what we wrote are 2 different things and hence my comment. Again, a producer's and engineer's goal is to capture the best performance regardless of the quality of the vocalist. My view is that a good vocal track needs a good vocalist as the starting point. I don't want 100% of mediocrity. I want 100% of the best. With a great singer, a good vocal take is almost guaranteed. There is no need for 100 retakes. There is no need to spend countless hours trying to fix imperfections with Melodyne. No need to edit out pops, breathing, compensate for proximity, retakes due to mispronunciation...and on and on. :bow:

7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I've recorded a lot of great singers that don't have great voices, or voices that don't record well. The two things aren't the same thing.

8. SpyFx ✪

SpyFx ✪ Guest

^ i understand this part :bow:
    ^...but isn't this a paradox ? how can a great singer don't have a great voice ? (before i get misunderstood i'm only asking because i'm not always 100% sure of all things __>>>recording vocalists speaking here) :bow::bow::bow:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

For the same reason that a great voice does not equal to great singing. You can be born with a good voice but without proper training you may never be a pro. On the other hand, anyone without a great voice can master the art of singing. There are 3 qualities that I have found in all great singers which always translate to good performances. Controlled breathing, enunciation, and restrain. All 3 save you from multiple takes and therefore yield a more natural and pleasant performance.

Edit: Signed by Madonna :hahaha:

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Well, in that case I mean they sing well- the intonation is good, the phrasing is good- but the voice just doesn't go down well. Like- me, I'm a great example. I sing really well but my voice is kind of thin, it's sort of low in range and yet has a lot of high overtones, it records kind of like like crap. I go through hell recording myself. And thus I make a lousy lead singer; I just don't have a voice that works well for that. But put me on harmonies and I blend with anyone. I sound great in the background.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  11. SpyFx ✪

SpyFx ✪ Guest

Now i think/feel the op has so many beautiful answers & things to consider,this became a beautiful thread :bow::bow::bow:

12. benderandgaia

benderandgaia Producer

Thank You Guys For taking the time to talk about this .This coming week i will be sending a song to an important guy in the music industry and I haven't recorded the vocals yet and i have been thinking about how can i get the best out of my Neumann TLM 103 since my room lacks of bass traps and the acoustic treatment is about 40%.

I have a Alctron PF8 Filter but I hear my voice muddier ...

I record close to the mic (I don't sing loud) ,

Would you eliminate that tool (Alctron PF8 Filter) or just place me further away from the mic?

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

To be on the safe side, and save everyone some time you should send your guy several takes, and allow him to decide which one he likes best.
    1. Close proximity with filter
    2. Close proximity without the filter.
    3. Farther away with filter
    4. Farther away without filter
    Remenber, this mic is a bit too bright so you may need to roll off the highs a bit but nothing drastic. Let your guy do the processing.

14. benderandgaia

benderandgaia Producer

Thank You Very Much :mates::thanks::goodpost:

15. SpyFx ✪

SpyFx ✪ Guest

^ No ,since you're not in a vocal booth :bow:
    ^ i would do another take without the filter & mix in the two audio tracks to taste (all in my humble opinion ):bow:

16. benderandgaia

benderandgaia Producer

Thank you for your answer, Im learning from a lot from this community.

17. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I remember and old line that fits this > shit in = shit out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. ProJay

ProJay Kapellmeister

Pardon me, I am going to ask a very noob question. Do i need any other LA style compressor as i have CLA bundle. I saw whitesea studio video on cla and he says they are not accurate.

19. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

You have eloquently summed it up vro

20. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

A
    You should ask him what is accurate for him. The one from UAD? Nothing is wrong with the CLA. In the context of a mix nobody will be able to tell the difference. Emulations are just that emulations. Most important is learning how to use it properly. You can have the best compressor but if you don't know how to apply it correctly to a given track the end result is not going to be pleasant.
    You can try the VC 2A from Native Instruments/Softube , White 2A Leveling Amplifier from IK Multimedia’s or CA-2A from Cakewalk.