Best Thermal Grease for CPU?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Synthetech, Mar 11, 2014.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Geez, that's about 100x too much paste on the CPU, especially if it's one of those conductive pastes like Arctic Silver 5. When applying the paste to CPU you should remember that paste is applied only to help even out the little bumps and scratches between the CPU and the heatsink. Too much paste is actually counter productive. Just a miniscule amount is necessary to make the contact between the CPU and the heatsink better. Trust me, I've done this far too many times and even experimented with the amounts, checking the temperatures later. :wink:

The amount shouldn't even be pea-sized, actually. It depends on the quality of the heatsink and CPU surface. If both are mirror like, you should only put a tiny bit of paste in the middle of the CPU and that's it. Spread it over the CPU with the cooler by rubbing them together. Remember that the best heat transfer happens between the two metal surfaces, not with the paste in between them, especially not a thick layer of it . :wink:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

omg that video... The end is hilarious tho. "you can now install the heatsink safely" ... not. lol

3. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Always love the paste discussion. Here's a nice video to answer any questions (TL:DW makes no difference)

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the best, non-conductive paste you can get atm. The only cooler solution is liquid metal
    but that can damage/corrode your coolers if made from aluminum and shorten other components if not applied correctly.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. yakhi

yakhi Newbie

I use thermal grizzly kryonaut for CPU/GPU. Great thermal conductivity. I think its the best you can get