Best studio monitors for Deep House music

Discussion in 'Studio' started by themask1005, Jan 31, 2015.

1. themask1005

themask1005 Newbie

Hey there!
    What Studio Monitors will you recommend for Deep House Producers? Mixing, mastering. etc.
    A good piece of great... doesn't mater the range of price. :break:

3. JoeR.

JoeR. Member

4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Please, don't get me wrong, but monitors are chosen by ears, not genre. The principle by which monitors are supposed to be manufactured is that they reproduce sound at the most accurate frequency response so that *any* kind of music thrown at them will show your flaws when mixing.

That being said, there are different kinds of monitors broadly speaking. Descriptions are as subjective as they get to be. There are the Genelec kind which come across as bright and open. There are the NS-10 kind, mid-rangey and not too pleasing. You get boomy and bass enhanced monitors like KRK's RokIt series. Everybody will claim "flat" response, though that claim can't be practically made since a flat frequency response depends on the size of the room and the acoustic nature of it. Even if they were measured flat, your own ear canal would interpret sound differently. Bottom line, listen out to different monitor sets until you find the one that comforts your heart.
    I went from M-Audio's BX5 to Yamaha HS-50s to Roland DS-90A to Genelec 8020. That's it. I'm a Genelec convert. I've flirted with other monitors by loan or work at another studio, and now I'm pleased I have the Gens.
    If you want to find a place to start searching, check some of the so many tutorial videos in how to produce deep house and check the gear those pros use.

All the best.

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Event Opal. They also produce the best country music, aswell as the best grindcore music.

jk. Pick the ("good piece of great") monitors that YOU like.

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Some monitors that are flat sounding. If you get monitors with a pronounced bass you'll mix songs with less bass than it's needed. I always cringe when people who are into dance music search for monitors with "a good bass", which usually means "too much bass". "good bass", on the other hand, means good sounding bass, tight and in balance with everything else.

What Baxter said is my philosophy, too: pick the ones that you like. At least for your first pair of monitors. Listen to as many of monitors as you can with your own material or material that you know really well.

However, I can recommend Dynaudio BM-6A and/or Neumann KH-120A monitors. Dynaudios are pleasant to listen to and pleasant to mix on for hours. Neumanns are as flat as a pancake. :) Also, Focals CMS-65 are very flat. Mix and master on these and you'll get a pretty nice sounding and fat sounding track of any genre. If you can, invest in Focals Solo-6 or better. They're worth it. I mixed on them as well and I was very satisfied with the results.

I've heard and mixed on Neumanns [120A] and Focals [CMS-65 and Solo-6] and I want either of these to complement my Dynaudios BM-12A so much. I think I'll go with Neumanns, but when I finish setting up some more important stuff in the studio as I'm at the beginning of my next personal project.... Oh, and having one pair of monitors is not really the ultimate solution... :wink: No matter how much you like them. I think if one is really serious about his work one should have at least one pair of monitors that you really like to listen to [like my Dynaudios] and one pair of monitors that are just flat and unforgiving, like Neumanns or Focals. :wink: Best of both worlds. It's always handy to have some Sony/Panasonic/Shitsonic boombox on the side for a check up, too. Some people swear upon the Apple ear buds, too, for "some" reason... ;) Lots of check up is good. And one last thing - treated room is the most important. Invest into acoustics first. That's what everyone will tell you and they're absolutely right. Bass traps are the most important.

Cheers! :mates:

p.s. Genelecs, Adams, I would check those, too. And I did. Not my cuppa tea, though, especially Adams - too much highs. I like flat and/or warmer sounding speakers. Speakers with too much pronounced highs will make your ears bleed after working for a few hours with them. I love my ears, thank you, and I don't intend to follow Bach's or Beethoven’s fate in my late years. :) And you can probably guess that speakers with too much highs will translate into too warm mixes... [lacking highs]

7. baseimpulse

baseimpulse Member

Monitors are something you do want to spend a lot of $$$ on. They are truly the most important "INVESTMENT" that you can make. However, If you can not spend a lot of money on monitors, Do no worry, The most important thing is your EARS! When looking for monitors depending on your budget, use your ears to make the best judgment. If you go off of reviews only without hearing them, I do not suggest you doing that. If your working on deep house or other forms of electronic music similar to Deep House, Its always best to listen to as many as you can with YOUR material, so you know what you like and do not like.

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

One more thing - it's also not the most expensive monitors that wins, but the ones you pick and LEARN. It can take years.
    When I first started I didn't fully know my "good" monitors. They were strangers, but with a good sound. Actually, the same goes with people first getting the "shitty and nasal" Yamaha NS10. Their first mixes sounded pretty crappy. Once you learn them (again, can take years) you will make great mixes on them. I just never liked them, at all.

So yeah, it's an investment - Spend TIME and MONEY on good monitors, because you will probably have them for a long time and need to get to know them like the back of your hand. That's the real secret to getting a good sound.

9. Pick one pair of monitors, stick with them if you can listen for hours without your ears and eyes bleeding and if not sell them and get another pair, check your mixes on different audio systems like in a car, phones, headphones and home stereo systems so that you know your end result will be consistent. There ya go.