Best String Ensemble library for modern Music

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Nima, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

Need Your Experiences:

To find the Right Vst Instrument String sample Library You can only check the producers Demo.
    The libraries are Huge and You can not test before Buy. Specially Violin, Viola, cello, bass and their Ensemble have very different taste, and sound, Articulation and Playing technique by Different Producers.

So I would Like to ask Your Opinions What do You find Better as a 300 to 1000 Dollar Investment under Market Products like L.a.s.s., Audiobro, 8dio, projectsam, Spitfire, Native In. and... to use them for different music genres, Pop, Rock, Funk, Jazz, pop-classic, Film, Tv ...

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

For that money, you couldn't go wrong with buying Spitfire Albion and Cinematic Strings 2. ProjectSAM's Orchestral Essentials is good too for ensembles.

However, they are more for modern orchestral music in the main, I.e. Hans Zimmer type film music. For pop and rock, smaller ensembles and chamber strings tend to be used. Native Instruments' Session Strings Pro is a fairly good poppy string ensemble library.

4. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

I have session string the lite version. The sounds lack of volume and somehow they don't integrate in the mix with other instruments where I use High quality Drum, bass, Piano,. and fast melodies and runs do not sound good.
    Is the Pro better in sound Quality?
    What would be Your choice if You wanted to decide?

5. sayhey1988

sayhey1988 Member

session strings pro is not a good string library... sorry.
    lass 2.0 is the best overall library imo. it's legato is unmatched by another library and it's very dry and raw sounding, so with the proper reverb you can fit it into any mix or style you like. i have used it on country records and in full orchestral scores. it has build in reverb via the arc but i prefer my own. the other is albion 1 and 2 sable, which are amazing as well, but lack the range of lass. i use them both (sable) a ton but exclusively in orchestral music. lass has some tuning issues which i like but some people hate. to me it adds realism.... cinematic strings 2 is cheaper and has good mic positions but has crappy legato which is a total deal breaker. it's a pad library- nothing more. finally lass 2 it easy on ram, so you can load tons of articulations at once.
    lass 2.0= 9
    sable 1+2= 7.5
    cinematic strings 2= 5
    anything 8dio= 3

6. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

I dont really see what is the deal with 'best', 'cinematic', 'modern', 'unmisable' etc when it comes to orchestral libraries. Did they make new violins designed to sound better with video games, or did they cast new trumpets for movies? And I especially dont get the fact that we fall into advertising hype. I might have wrong assumptions since I dont really own any of these 'cinematic' libraries. So someone please enlighten me. I know what is a trumpet, I know that best violin is stradivarius and it wasnt made by a Hollywood studio. So I m guessing that its all in the processing applied to them, heavy epic reverb, compression etc, all to make it sound really impressive. That is what synth preset designers do anyways. But as we all know, processing applied before production is going to make it impossible to fit into the mix. And I understand that someone will say 'Oh I m a composer not a tech guy'. Fair enough, but if thats the case, someone will mix it for you after you compose it, right?

7. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

First thanks for taking time.

I was more tending to LASS too. exactly because the reasons You mentioned. The problem with many Products for me is the muddy Legatos.

What do You think about Projectsam Samples?

8. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

The technology progress in last ten Years changed many things. At that time we had to use unprocessed naked libraries of Single Instruments and record 50 tracks to create a small String ensemble. This was a very time consuming Process and often did not sound satisfying.
    Now You can use the pre Mixed ensembles and single Instruments.
    There are now many choices to find the right sounds that integrate to your mixes.
    You need less Tracks to create.
    Less Ram needed.
    Short time needed.
    Professionals have done the sound design and ensemble mix or the suggestions as patches.
    Some people have not enough knowledge to mix classic string or brass section instruments and some have no time. new samples help this people.
    to start a song sketch you can begin with pre mixed libraries like nexus Hollywood to realize an idea and then replace them with more qualitative sounds.

These where some reasons. I hope I could Answer You. You really have to test them to see how helpful ready to go Sounds can be.

9. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

What music do you make...? What character do you need? What articulations do you need? How much detail do you need?

- Cinematic Strings is a good all-around library. It has a bit plasticky sound and the legatos are a bit weird (no separate controls). The vibrato is not ultra stong but can be programmed (even with 3rd party scripting). You don't have solo instruments. Basic articulations. Good for simple use. Bright and light reverb, can easily be bypassed. I'd say mostly for soft Hollywood-ish/romantic sound. A bit weak sounding. Not quite there, not roomy either. Middle ground. Some handy "humanizing" params. Separate sections. Stacatissimo/Runs/.. 3 mic positions.
    - 8Dio. Never got it... (I assume Adagio) What little I tried it's really bad for fast passages and it feels like a puzzle game the way it's constructed but can't really say much. Likeable timbre. Quite a few playing styles. 2 mic (I think) positions. Guess not for me.
    - LASS: The most detailed of all. Dry. Tuning, legato, Glissando, seating params. Heavily Separated Sections. Some accents. Solo instruments. Quite a few basic and other articulations, not any ultra mysterious stuff. Can get some work to fit. 1 mic position (methinks, correct me if wrong)!
    - Kirk Hunter: Quite detailed. Multiple vibratos. Accents. Articulations. Sections (Solo to 18 violins). A bit aggressive sounding but quite good for me. Nice add-on to any of the others. 1 mic position.
    - Sonivox Symphonic: Great chamber sound. Very intimate. Very good for soft, melodic music. Basic articulations. A bit outdated, could use some programming/scripting/updating. Blends extremely well with other libs. 1 mic position.
    - Session Strings Pro: Nice warm character. More intimate. Better for more chamber/room sound but can fit with others. Quite a few articulations. Simple legato but you can hear it. Some FX. Very good mix for electronic warm synths/pads/orchestral hybrids. Has divided sections.
    - Orchestral/Essentials/Symphobia/Symphobia 2: Ensemble sound. No direct sections, just divided by pitch in the patch to different instruments taking lead. But nicely pre-orchestrated. Can make ideas fuller more quickly. Not too detailed. Basic Articulations. 2 mic positions. Good if you don't get too detailed, faster results. Some solo instruments, quite cavernous reverb, Good dynamics overall, not everywhere for me. (Not only strings!)
    - Albion (only first): Quite like Symphobia but 4 mic positions and more articulations. A bit subtler, deeper sounding. (Not only strings!)

Dunno, watch some videos and decide... (And verify, maybe I remember something wrong - Can't possibly detail everything) Most have a bit different bases but they all can get you there with some work.

(Personal likings/opinions ofc)

You look more like you'll take the LASS path... It does feel like the best point to start. Or combine two cheaper, different libs (more colors). But that's not for me to figure out.

I could go on... Maybe I'll post some examples later....

Edit: Examples
    Here's the backing track:
    http://www.putlocker.com/file/FD113B13BC728F89

And next the strings dubs*:
    1) Albion I (Strings Hi + Lo/4 mics adjusted)
    2) Cinematic Strings 2
    3) ProjectSam Orchestral Essentials (Arco)
    4) Kirk Hunter Diamond (9 1st Violins, 9 Cellos with - gain)
    5) Session Strings Pro

* Where there's a choice, all are 1st violins sections and cellos, Arco/Sustain articulations.

Note: All tracks have the same performance/fx/settings. Most of them have a bit different dynamic responses and Kirk along with Session have accents added for variation, otherwise all are Arco/Sustains patches with basic velocity/CC editing. Just for reference purposes. The result depends on how much time you invest in it, your skill, your fx, your taste etc. Some can be tweaked more, some less but you can get to a similar result with all of them.

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I think the original poster misunderstands the concept of string libraries. They are mostly designed for orchestral pieces. I produce a lot of modern film type music. For this, libraries like Albion, LASS, Cinematic Strings etc are the best ones. However, they each have their pros and cons. For example, LASS is very dry and needs a lot of EQing and processing to get in to blend seamlessly with other libraries. On the other hand, Conematic Strings 2 is good "out of the box" and easily blends with minimal processing. Alsion may need some processing, but the multi-mic position allow for it to be easily tinkered so that it blends.

However, all these libraried are good for the moden style film and TV genres. For pop and rock, the string section used in these libraries are too big. Pop and rock music uses smaller, closer and brighter sounding string sections, hence why libraries like Session Strings Pro work well in these styles as they are designed for chamber music, i.e. smaller string sections.

To get one library for all genres will be either a) impossible or b) you'll have to settle for a string section that won't blend well into your genre. You need to decide what your focus is and what exactly you want the libraries for.

Also, people recommending LASS is just daft considering it would wipe out/be beyond the budget you posted and you'd be limited to one library that will work for some genres but not for all of them. Always annoys me when people try to sound like they know what they're on about instead of reading the question. With your budget, I would personally go for Spitfire Albion I and Cinematic Strings II for the movie, TV, game, orchestral stuff and Session Strings Pro as a small chamber library for the poppy and rock stuff and you'll have the addition of instruments beyond string in Albion and you'll have options then instead of having one library which may or may not work in your piece.

PS - remember that all these libraries run in Kontakt, some needing the full version of Kontakt 5 and won't work in the free player. Just thought I'd note as you've not mentioned Kontakt in your original post so that would be a cost for you if needed too.

11. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Audiobro LASS 2 is my library of choice. It has everything and doesn't waste time/space. Since it is dry recorded, you can manipulate it quite a bit to make it sound like a smaller ensemble for Pop/Rock stuff.

For fast runs, Cinematic Strings 2 is unbeatable with its Live Mode and Run Mode. Very realistic, you should check out the demonstration videos Alex Wallbank made for CS2 on youtube.

I have NI Sessions Strings and it has limited functionality. From the reviews and videos, I understand that the Pro version expands a lot on the original articulations and features but it is still not a replacement for a library like LASS in terms of articulations and the amount of things possible overall. Cinesamples are releasing Cinestrings in a few days, it appears to be following LASS's footsteps with some cool new features.

12. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

I love LASS2 as a classic smooth string orchestra/quartet. heard before legato is real, stacatto feels good and natural.
    For auto-arrangement and ARC, you'll need to get in the manual to get something musical, but if you know your DAW well enough, you can do a great job without these.
    For funk/rock , harder music, E-MU synths are the way to go.
    Got a used Proteus 2000 for 60$ few month ago, I use it almost everywhere. crazy shit you can store in 32Mo.

13. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

ps (E-MU synths) : they DON'T SOUND GOOD on their own, but in your mix they're loud and clear, and it's lovely to use (rock, funk, hip hop).

14. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

Thanks taking time for detailed Explanation. I think This post will interest Many Users. Your Comparation is very Useful. exactly the details I need to know.

I personally am looking for a Product Where I have sharp chamber, legato ensembles to play fast melodies and run for Action compositions. Natural sounding Glissando, Portamento. Secondly Bright and Full Sounding Strings for Moderate Parts , Jazz, Pop,Rock -Ballads. I don't want to waste time to mix single Inst. to make an Ensemble.
    I compose songs. I need ready to go sounds to inspire me. I think this is the wish of any Composer.:)

after all Info's, I think LASS is a good choice.

Thanks again

15. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

I did not misunderstand the Concept. Exactly because of this I am asking for others experiences to find a pack that covers my needs and not all needs.
    as a composer I don't like to have 1000s of sounds and libraries. To Compose I need one Good sounding Piano, Drum, Bass, Guitar, Perc and orchestral Lib.
    I concentrate myself more in Music than technique now. It was contrariwise as I was Younger.:)

About Lass, that is what I am worried about. To buy this and see that it can not cover my needs. I noticed the fullness and the Volume of Lass Sounds and their audio demos are all cinematic and classic Themes. I mean there are no Pop, Rock, Jazz, Funk... Demos. Maybe You are Right.

However Your point of view is important to me too.
    THanks for Advise.

16. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

E-Mu I use the Kontakt sounds. They surprise me ever.