Best Streaming Recommendation System - Spotify, Deezer, Apple Music, Youtube Music & Others.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Swg Itsyo, Sep 11, 2024.

1. Swg Itsyo

Swg Itsyo Member

Hi guys, I hope I'm in the right section! I'm looking for a more effective music recommendation system to discover new songs. Often, when I create a radio station from a song, the platforms only suggest songs of the same genre as the artist, regardless of the genre of the starting track. For example, if Justin Bieber made a metal song, the recommendations would still be his most famous hits.

In my experience, in order of quality, the best platforms are:
    1. YouTube Music,
    2. Spotify,
    3. Deezer,
    4. Apple Music.

Do you know any other platforms that offer a more personalized recommendation system? What is your opinion on this?

3. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I discovered a lot of good music at Bandcamp. The good part of it (compared to those 4 you've listed) that it doesnt shove the biggest industry plant Sabrina Carpenter out of nowhere down your throat. I use Spotify to listen to specific custom playlist and build my own. Fuck their music suggestion algo.

Also I'm old school, I have a lot of fav music labels (friends with them for a really long time) and mostly listen and bought their releases for years, I trust their taste and judgement and rarely get disappointed.

I always believe good music are meant to be discovered on your own and suggested by people with similar taste, not forced by algo.

4. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I like how Spotify does it, It has the best algo I've ever used. I sometimes use the cracked version just to discover new stuff and then download what I want to keep in my private collection.

Back in my days (said the gen z lol) we used to get recommendations in blogs, nowadays they're not as popular but I wouldn't underestimate them, here's some of the more recent resources I visit from time to time: https://www.listentothis.info and https://rateyourmusic.com

5. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Used to wrote music review for fun there for 10 years or so, forgot why I stopped but made a lot of friends with the musician all over the world there. good place to learn about music and genre as well, add allmusic.com for credit list.

6. Emma Evi

Emma Evi Ultrasonic

I just listen to music on the regular Youtube for free.