Best stable Version of Kontakt 7

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by 3typen, May 28, 2024.

1. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask, due to the fact that NI seems to have major problems with Kontakt since version 7, what is your most stable Kontakt 7 version on the Mac under Ventura or Sonoma?

Reading through the comments on the sister site under releases, it really doesn't seem like any version since 7.1.8 has been really stable. What are your experiences?

3. Ichos

Ichos Producer

Not sure about Mac, but on WIN v7.1.3 by all the teams including R2R, BobDule & r4e is the most Stable... till date :thumbsup:

4. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

Sorry but...How is this answer supposed to help a Mac user who has asked a specific question about the Mac on a Mac system in a Mac forum?

5. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

I've been using HCISO's 7.9 as it has been stable and solid as a rock on Apple Silicon and Sonoma. If I run into an issue, or there are libraries demanding higher, then I will look into his later releases. But HCiSO's and homecracker's release of that on the sister site is a winner in my chipset/macOS.

6. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

Do you talking about the Version "Rev2" HCiSO released? I'am currently running the latest Ventura 13.6.7 on a I7 MiniMac. Maybe there is a User already running under that config. Thank you

7. pdbf

pdbf Noisemaker

Have had no issues with Bob's v7.10.1 on a resource-abundant Windows 10 PC.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. def12

def12 Kapellmeister

No problems with any version. What kind of problems do you have?

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Exactly. 7.9.0 HCiSO's revision (there was a day or so between the release and the revised version as there was a problem they quickly fixed).

But it's been rock solid with KLU, Sonoma, M3 chipped Mac, etc. No problems. I imagine it is just fine with Ventura as well, and I haven't seen any reported problems with that myself. Yours is an intel machine, but I don't think that represents any issue as well. I'm sure later version releases are ok as well perhaps, but that one was solid, has been, and there has been no reason to change ~for me~.

But I'm someone who "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", especially when later rev's release notes had nothing that was deal breaking for me and seemed some others had some issues. And I've been using it a LOT lately.

Best of luck!

10. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

I don't have one yet, but I'm still on 7.1.3 on a system and I'd like to upgrade to a higher version without the hussle to add the librarys again manually. However, the comments column underneath the Kontaktreleases by HCSIO or Moria reads more like the more recent versions of Kontakt or their releases are really problematic (for example the 7.10.x ones). I'm just trying to find out from the experience of others which one is stable/safe and relatively up to date.

11. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

I agree on that 100%. I just got some libs that needed a higher Version. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Ah, understood. I have been migrating a crap ton of libraries and whatnot over the last month with a new system, and I haven't run into any that needed anything over 7.9.x myself... which ones? (and I'm certainly not saying they don't exist!),...

I just looked at the NI Kontakt changelogs for the subsequent versions after 7.9.0, and I haven't run into the problems 'myself', and obviously everyone uses different tools etc, and some of the bugs/scenarios they have fixed haven't been of consequence to me yet... but if they show up, yup, I'll update... I was just tossing 7.9.0 HCiSO out there as I've been using it hours a day for the last month or so, and nothing weird, and I read the comments on threads here and elsewhere from new releases, and I've just stayed pat.

HCiSO releases are 'generally' going to be more stable then MOiRA releases though... and I don't mean to disparage anyone, I'm just saying that generally HCiSO stress tests a little longer, so they aren't 'first', but they have a higher batting average of success for 'me' historically.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

It's been a while since I last moved from one computer to another, but it took a lot of time and everything is running very well, so I'm struggling with the latest versions. On my second system with an M1, the original 7.10.1 (R0) also runs under Ventura without any problems. At some point I will pluck up my courage and try version 7.9. Thanks for your opinion and sharing your experience. Maybe others are also looking for this answer.

i hope you haven't misunderstood the "higher versions". There are some Libs who need a higher version than my current 7.1.x

14. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Gotcha! (yeah, sometimes 7.1.x can look like 7.10.x etc...), and yeah, I imagine there are plenty of libs being released now that require more then the earlier 7.1.x ....

Sounds like a similar situation. I'm moving from 5,1 machines to a new MBP apple silicon, and I'm really happy with it, but as you well know, the "generational" change, and the fact that I have been using Kontakt since v1, and translated so many of my old libraries from hardware samplers (Akai's, SampleCells etc) and made many of my own over the years... it's well over 6-8TB's of mixed libraries, and so I've been pretty careful and measuring thrice cutting once on everything from Kontakt (and not EVERYTHING has to make the move kinda thing) to every other plugin I am weighing putting on the system as opposed to my older systems which had accrued a fair amount of little used bloat...

Are you sure you have to add libraries again with the move from 7.1.x to 7.9. or 7.10.x etc? (And I've always had to keep Kontakt V3,V4,V5 etc etc for legacy projects active on my older systems, but I'm just going 7 here, and keeping my older systems in a time lock for when/if I need something etc)...

15. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

yes, same story, very similar.

no i'am not, i just have read some libs gone "demo" or didn't be recognized anymore, but if you care a lot about about the nativeaccess.xml everything should be fine. (insert prayer here)

16. BlossomwoodsCollection

BlossomwoodsCollection Ultrasonic

7.6.0 is perfect. Just perfect.

Unfortunately, not all my libraries are compatible so I'm currently using 7.10.1 :suicide:

If i had to choose i would go 7.6.0. Last version that came out before all the Native Instruments mayhem ensued LOL

17. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Just back up and everything should be fine. I have been real slow and deliberate, and using KLU 2 and obviously closely reading Fred Blogs pdf and faq, and everything so far has gone fine.... only things bonked were user error/ or perhaps drunken slop, and easily fixed...

I just hate the fact they have made the database inaccessible, user folder library locations across multiple are a pain as you can't set locations and whatnot like you could before, (and quickload and whatnot doesn't cover it)... unless there is something I am missing, but at least you can drop out of that crap new launchpad interface they have (imho), and go. back to library/files in the sidebar, but again, you can't lock in certain locations and scan the database as previous, and that represents a bit of a problem and slow down for me, and I guess I'm gonna rtfm again and see if I'm missing something.. but other then navigation, it's been working great.

18. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

i have read that 7.6.1 is the Version where high CPU-Loads on Kontakt have been reported so many turned back to the previous Version 7.6.0 from HCiSO. Good to know. Thank you.

19. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

Yes, i think so too. By "Fred Blogs pdf and faq" you mean the included Files in the "KLU 2.2.0.dmg"?

20. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

Yup! That's exactly what I meant, great tool the gentleman made, and has been working like a charm for me so far.. (if you haven't made use of it yet, just make sure you closely read the FAQ and the thread... but it's invaluable as a Mac Kontakt user without question....)

21. 3typen

3typen Ultrasonic

i really used the kitty script only, when addin i got the usual error but at the end i can use the lib.
    I never added a Lib with KLU by @Fred Bloggs I just used it to see if i have any errors regarding correct or double SNPIDs.