Best sounding piano library (...to aprox 5Gb)

Discussion in 'Samplers' started by nikon, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Qrchack

Qrchack Producer

Alicia Keys is actually 6.98 GB once unpacked and installed, and mind the fact it sounds a bit softer than other piano libraries out there. 8Dio 1928 Steinway Legacy Scoring Piano is 11.2 GB, so I guess out of the scope of your question. If I were to suggest something, go for The Giant - 4 GB and sounds great, with lots of air and clarity - great sound on lower keys!

2. nikon

nikon Producer

Thanks, but this question is from 2013 :) today there is a lot of libraries of many kinds... And I upgraded my pc with 2TB disks so I have no problems with space.

3. nikon

nikon Producer

Still loving and I most playing with Malmsjo Grand Piano (GIGA)

4. james hill

james hill Newbie

anyone try una corda - how do you like it?

5. rudolph

rudolph Kapellmeister

8 Dio yes, but the 1969 Legacy Steinway. and exactly 4.90 g.

6. rudolph

rudolph Kapellmeister

Una Corda is an excellent library, but very experimental.

7. farao

farao Platinum Record

There are a few that, under certain conditions (Kawai VPC1 controller and LCD open back earphones) can fool even great pianists. Hammersmith is my favorite to play and listen to among them. With a nice covolution reverb and an exiter to bring out the right amount of overtones it is as enjoyable to listen to as almost any recording made. With LCD open earphones that is. Playing it on Kawai VPC1 with a fine tweaked response curve corresponding to the piece/part you are playing is almost like playing the real thing.

8. type2002n

type2002n Ultrasonic

I worked a lot with Roland's Piano 1d, from xp50 onwards, that was on virtually all their subsequent synths. On mixes, Piano 3 from their early 90's 16bit synths, it had that sparkle that could cut through thick orchestrations. I recently found Acoustica's Pianissimo and it sounds absolutely great. Very inspiring, I like it better than The Grand2 from Steinberg. And it's just under 300MB. Synthogy Ivory's Italian Gee sounds really great, but it's an elephant, memory wise. A great piano needs at least 24/96 pcm to be correctly heard. And a super clean sound system. Not every music lover has them. Most people use cd's, mp3's, mp4's, flac's, etc. Low quality. So, being more pragmatic pays off. I'd get a Pianissimo every time, it sounds good even for classically trained pianists. More than that... it would be art for the sake of art. Which is always nice, of course.
    I think a very good midi keyboard, comfortable and expressive, is just as important as the piano library itself.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  9. james hill

james hill Newbie

Nice thanks, yes wasn't sure if it can do "normal" duties also, thanks!

10. zpaces

zpaces Member

I used 'Alicia's Keys'. It's good sounding but it's a signature sound not a "free" sound. I go for NI The Grandeur and NI The Gentleman. Both have snapshot presets for different uses. Additionally I use Spitfire's Feld Piano and Dream Piano by DAT. Both have a cinematic touch.

11. Utada Hikaru

Utada Hikaru Ultrasonic