Best software to use my MPK49 like an MPC in Cubase

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Philoso, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Philoso

Philoso Noisemaker

Question. I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm looking for the perfect VST to use with my AKAI MPK49 that will let me easily create chops out of samples. I'm honestly trying to get as close as I can to the way the MPC renaissance software gets down. I come pretty close with Groove Agent SE4 but I want to figure out how to adjust my start points etc while keeping the slice length the same so it stays on point as move through my chops. In Renaissance i there is an option to just keep Length Slice on. I'm a big fan of battery when it comes to making my drum patterns but I couldn't really seem to get battery to chop samples like I wanted. I'm all about workflow. I want to toss a sample into the VST im working in, cut it to the length I want right there and then start creating chop points. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Cubase is my go to DAW so I need something that works with Cubase.
    PS. Honestly i'd love to be able to use the AKAI software with my MPK49 but i don't know if that is possible. From what I've seen online it comes with the newer AKAI midi keyboards and the MPCs. If someone knows how to get the older 49 to work wit that software that would be the shit.
    Cool thanks peeps
    Philoso

3. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Maybe FXpansion Geist?Not sure though.You could give it a shot.

4. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

If you want to modify your samples(vocals,drums,synth lines),one of the best softwares to do that is Magix Sound Forge Pro,which is on Windows and OSX platforms now.Since years ago it was Sony Sound Forge pro.I use it myself.It's very simple to use and powerfull.But it's not a plugin.And then you will can use your own samples modiefied with Battery for example.
    Others softwares like SoundForge exist,NCH WavePad Sound Editor.

5. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

FXpansion's GEIST 2 as mentioned, Poise by One Small Clue is MPC-based/alike in it's workflow and layout plus very lightweight, MASCHINE 2 by Native Instruments is another good contender but I'd go with GEIST 2 or Poise unless you have a lot of Native Instruments stuff already as it integrates them really well and is in some respects a kind of self-contained DAW but not quite which is kind of what the last time I used an MPC (2500 IIRC) was like (I'm not familiar with the software renaissance thing so unable to offer a reference from that starting point). Xfer Records Nerve might be worth a look also, NI's BATTERY 4 might well fit the bill, I suppose have a look on youtube for demo videos and download demo versions to get a good idea if they setup/work well for what you are after

All the best

6. Philoso

Philoso Noisemaker

Thanks yall this Geist shit is dope as hell. Appreciate that. Seems very easy on the workflow too just what i was looking for. Thanks folks