Best DJ Software For Mixing Classic Disco

Discussion in 'general discussion' started by TonyG, Jul 2, 2017.

1. TonyG

TonyG Guest

I wanted to start this thread to receive input as to what software you use to mix (in the DJ sense) Classic Disco. By Classic Disco I mean Disco from the 70's to early 80's and DO NOT include any "remixes" in which an electronic drum machine was used to substitute the live drummer on the original recording. By mixing Im referring to a DJ set. I have find out that softwares like Traktor CAN NOT do it. The best success I have had has been with Ableton Live. How about you?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Any DAW!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

Baxter is Right, you can do that with any DAW. What reluctance is keeping you away from trying this?

5. TonyG

TonyG Guest

BAXTER and BOUNTY

Any DAW? Sometimes making general statements WITHOUT any knowledge is not sound advice. You CANNOT mix DISCO with any DAW just like you just CAN NOT use ANY DJ software to mix DISCO...and expect good results. Moreover, you simply can not use ANY DAW as a substitute for "DJ Specific Software". DAWs are NOT design for it. Have you guys ever DJ profesionally? It takes more than what a DAW offers for a software to be used for mixing in the DJ sense. In fact, in all my years as a DJ and record producer (37 years) the only DAW that I have been able to use for DJeing Disco has been Ableton Live. Ableton Live is actually the best tool for that job, just on its own. That is the reason why I decided to start this thread. To hear and learn from others who have used other software to mix Disco. Your reply does NOT answer my question.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2017
  6. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Let's start with what do you mean by "mix"? Do you mean DJ stuff? If so, I'm afraid you're not asking on the right forum, we don't focus on live mixing that much. If you mean production of disco, then you can use any software that is designed to do music production, which is called a Digital Audio Workstation or DAW. Traktor is not a DAW, it's a DJ playing software. If you're here to talk DJing, you've formed your question wrong (that's the first thing) and you're asking people who don't do DJing (that's the second thing)

TL;DR if you're a DJ and you don't make music it would be nice if you mentioned it, now go download your acapellas elsewhere

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. recycle

recycle Guest

maybe you want to choose for a DJ mixing software, here you have some:

Serato DJ
    Traktor Pro
    Deckadance
    PCDJ
    MixVibes
    VirtualDJ
    Zulu
    DJ Mixer Pro
    MixMeister

8. TonyG

TonyG Guest

I agree with you as to my thread creating some confusion as to whether i was referring to mixing as in djeing or mixing as in producing and I have edited my question to clarify that. The rest of your reply, however, is unnecessary and not welcomed.

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Wait. Are you looking for DJ software, but Traktor (and Serato, Deckadance, PCDJ, etc) can't do it?

Then I suggest you try a DAW (and do your stretching, beat-sync'ing, crossfades, filter and effects automations, sample-triggers, FX layering, etc in it).

Since alot of Disco is not following click/metronome, I suggest you look into warp/flex/elastic audio/stretch and/or tempo-sync'ing (in your DAW).

10. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Recycle, all the software you mention are good for mixing electronic music but that was not my question. I asked which one do YOU use for DISCO. As I said, you can not use any DJ software for mixing Disco and expect good results. Those that do require extensive preparation prior to mixing. In Traktor, you need to create a beat grid and with some Disco songs it does not even work. MixMeister Auto BPM is a joke with Disco.

11. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Thanks for replying Baxter. Those software can NOT do it. when it comes to electronic music any of the ones you mention are able to because electronic music's BPM as we all know is quantized AND constant. In Disco the drummer is "rushing" and "dragging" and on top of that the BPM varies throughout the song. Using a DAW as you suggested is only as good as using DJ software due to the facts I mentioned and that the DJ software do exactly what you suggested.

12. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

sorry just one simple question. what does " mixing disco " mean ?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Your best bet is to warp your tracks in Live (fix the drifts) then import them back to your Traktor (or rekordbox) library. I don't DJ exclusively with drifting tracks but this is what I do.

14. BuffetFan

BuffetFan Newbie

Your original post is still unclear to me, but I'll give it a shot. If you are looking to make a continuous mix for uploading to soundcloud, another site or a promo cd...Ableton will be your best bet. I have had experience with Ableton, Mixmeister and FL Studio and although not perfect, Ableton works the best for these scenarios.
    If you are looking to mix live, again bleton would be your best bet but you will have to do some prep work before your shows and it will leave you limited to playing only the tracks you have prepared for your show. If mixing live in a club is what you are looking to do, I would suggest steering clear of DAWs and going with Serato or Traktor. I know you stated that Traktor sucked due to the beatgrids, but don't rely on those. Mix straight up.

15. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You CAN do it in a DAW.
    Two ways:
    1)
    It's called warping, flexing, stretching, elastique audio (depending on what DAW you are using). That will fix the song to a steady BPM. If you want it, that is.

2)
    There is also tempo-sync'ing, which allows for a track (or any audio) to be stretched/warped to a "master tempo-sync" (say "Disco Song A). The BPM will fluctuate to match DiscoA, so that DiscoB will be in sync.

Edit: Actually, there is a third way. A combo of both 1 and 2. Win/win/win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. recycle

recycle Guest

Dj’s from 70’s and 80’s used analog equipments for their djset: 2 turntables and a 2 channel mixer, that means no beatmatching, no pitchshifting, no automations etc..
    So, if you cant acheive results with any of the 2017 full featured dj softwares on the market, maybe the problem reside in your skill (lack of). Technology will help a lot, but it cannnot enhance your talent.
    My advice is to carefully listen to mixes from oldschool dj’s like Lerry Levan, Granmaster Flash, François Kevorkian, to get the 70’s feeling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. TonyG

TonyG Guest

It is exactly what I do. Nothing out there compares with Live when it comes to mixing Disco

18. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Baxter I have been there and done that but with some Disco songs it does not work not to mention that it is time consuming. Ableton live is a better option

19. dv8r171

dv8r171 Member

If you're going for that authentic vintage sound...two turntables (and a microphone?).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Recycle, I dont use this site to talk of my achievements and dont even use my real name but I am proud to say that during the Disco era I was a top Dj in the US, playing in the biggest clubs. Accordingly my skills are not lacking and have nothing to do with the goal of this thread. By the way, all of the DJ's that you mention are or were personal close friends and many times collaborators in projects. I also want to note that listening to DJ sets is not going to make you a good one. Being a good DJ back in the 70's and 80's was only achieved by practicing and polishing your skills. I remember practicing 8 and 10 hours per day. Listening to each individual song and learning it. That was the only way. Practice, practice, practice was the best advice that I ever received from Shep Pettibone in my early days.

21. TonyG

TonyG Guest

When it comes to old disco turntables are the easier and best route. Microphone? There was not michrophone at Studio 54, Club A, Area, Xenon. LOL. Turntable mixing, however, is not the theme of this thread.