Best Shreddage Alternative?

Discussion in 'Rock, Metal' started by xXDayDreamerXx, Apr 21, 2017.

1. xXDayDreamerXx

xXDayDreamerXx Ultrasonic

Hey there!
    So I've been wanting to compose rock idk, since I first knew it existed tbh. (so around age 4.) But Shreddage is a bit pricey for my range, but I am more than willing to fork over some cash for decently okay-ish sounding set of Electric Guitar Samples or a VST. I'm willing to pay around $80 USD (about 75 Euros) or less. I do have access to a couple of decent Guitarists, I just would like something to use in my DAW to test things out and write chord progressions. (Heck, if it sounds decent to me in the established mix I might just use it for the final version then.) Thank you!!

3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@xXDayDreamerXx
    Im not sure about the prices of these products but for heavy guitars I like to use Impact Sound Works - Shreddage and Orange Tree Samples - Dracus. These are both kontakt libraries. Another heavy guitar I like to use is Music Lab - Real8 which is VSTi and doesnt require Kontakt. But I think these are a little out of your quoted price range.

Heres a less expensive alternative.
    If you were looking for something quick and dirty that already has riffs and phrases try something like Virtual Guitarist - IRON.

5. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Just a keyboard player so no expert in virtual guitar sw/ plugs.. Think everything above with except Torch Electric, is almost twice the price you state. So it's expensive and far from what your "decent guitarists" can offer for the final product. Personal experience. I always torture my friend ;) . A real guitarist can also give you ideas because they know their instrument capabilities better.
    I totally get your "composer" approach because I make music the same way. But it seems there is a void between free and 130$+ SW. So I think you'll have to choose to get something just to show the real guitarist your idea, or get yourself a Shreddage-like library. I will just add the SoniVox - Bright Electric guitar (19$), don't know if it's any good. There are just a few demos, seems you'd need a mic/amp/cabinet + distortion sim on top..

6. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

duude, I play for you forever if you give me 80$ .

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

If u want that 'heavy guitar' sound, try http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1884 . It turns any sound into a distorted guitar sound. Try it on acoustic guitar (keolabs spicy guitar), or even a piano (mdapiano, 4front free).

ALL VST above are free.

8. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE !
    You have a budget of $80 USD... bro....

Shreddage 1 only costs $59 USD !!!

You have made your choice already !!!
    IF you have a need - simply save up cash from 1 pizza per month and buy shreddage 2 when you have enuf (add only $40 to your budget for shreddage 2 - note there are multiple variants of Shreddage 2 but they are Kontakt PLAYER compatible).

Get it done !!! $59 bux... U cant go wrong !

Here is the shreddage 1 demo if you have doubts about coming in UNDER your budget

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  9. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

It depends on what you have in mind when you say rock,

Shreddage the original easily covers that whereas never versions we're created with the extended range/down tuned to at least drop B (B-F#-B-E-G#-C#) and so on in mind (for the djent, prog, technical brutality type of thing, slam DM/tech DM and the somewhat what went from nu-metal into scream then to metalcore and is now currently known as deathcore, Just take Dying Fetus, Cryptopsy, Suffocation...etc. and put into a blender with Agnostic Front, Earth Crisis, Hatebreed, Terror...etc. which is about where the father's of "deathcore" started from; Despised Icon, Legends as are the other aforementioned bands amongst plenty of others to me personally). So if that is what you have in mind the 8 string shreddage KONTAKT library would do the trick as would RealEight which have been mentioned*.

Personally I have a few guitars an octave lower and sometimes just a bit sharp of that (none of the strings are unwound), The two out of my collection which excel at this are an Ibanez M80M 8-String which has a scale length of 29.4" and a Schecter Hellraiser C-VI 6-string but with a scale length of 30". I have plenty more in between the 30" Schecter and the shortest scale I use and tbh do not really like except for the one guitar I have in the form of a Gordan Smith flying V which 24.75". Most of the collection is 25.5" scale length.

*Since most are simply DI'd for multi sampling, It is more of a case of finding what works for what you want including dialling up the type of pedal(s) > head > mic'd cab (or combo) after getting the palm muted thing down, Some pinch harmonics and such from various key switches.

It really is both areas that are critical to nail whatever you are going after, Strumming and jangly nonsense is a cardinal sin hehe and sweep picking, palm muting in numerous slightly differing angles and pressures in relation to the bridge can be the difference between something being a Godzilla sized groove beast riff that djents and meh.

I'd advocate for you to simply learn the really thing yourself, The quality of budget gear is excellent these days.

So yeah depends on what you are really after when you say rock, Sorry I've aksed more than actually answered but it is a point that is pretty crucial.

All the best your way and to all as always :wink:

Dean

10. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I'd just save up a few more months and get something like MusicLab's VIs (RealEight is pretty metal, or RealLPC), any of which can do a hell of a lot more than Shreddage. If you're determined to use Kontakt, Electri6ity completely kills any of the Shreddage libraries, plus it has access to a lot more guitars. For that matter, if you dig the Shreddage sound, just get Big Fish Audio's GOTH library, which also includes a drum kit, bass, a few "goth" synth and piano sounds and a bunch of loop kits. The guitars sound about the same to me as Shreddage and probably have around the same amount of features.

11. stevejobs.haha

stevejobs.haha Member

12. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Prominy's great, but it may be too much for somebody interested in Shreddage (no offense). I own SR5 Rock Bass and that thing is insane (though it does feature a "Lite" patch that streamlines a lot of the deep scripting in the main instrument).

13. xXDayDreamerXx

xXDayDreamerXx Ultrasonic

Way beyond my budget but it does look very cool and I do like the fact it includes Kontakt Player :O Thanks for showing me!

Thanks for all of the suggestions anyways! I don't mind saving up a little longer tbh but I just wanted to see if there was anything within my current budget atm worth looking at
    I will definitely be keeping this in mind ;)
    That sounds really cool, thanks!
    Aaa thank you for reminding me of that although I'll still have to save longer since I'd need to buy the full version of Kontakt.
    Thank you for the BFA suggestion, I'll definitely look into that. I'm definitely am going to look into MusicLab's stuff too.

@Death Thash Doom - I have an acoustic fender gathering dust in my closet, unfortunately my hands are a bit small for actual guitar playing; but I do have some growing up to do still so the best thing I can do is hope my fingers get just a tad longer I guess. So it's definitely not something I haven't considered! Thank you for all of the information and such though, I really appreciate it.

14. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

KMG7 free

can use this for now + save buy somthing later

15. webhead

webhead Audiosexual

16. stevejobs.haha

stevejobs.haha Member

Man, Till then use a cracked kontakt which is available on sister site and when your savings will be enough, just buy it.

17. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I invested in EW/PLAY's "Ministry of Rock" back in the day when it was still a huge amount of money to buy. PLAY is really hit or miss with their stuff, but MoR is so far behind the curve, especially on distorted guitars, that I'd have been better off using that money on guitar lessons. I'm not sure their "Ministry of Rock 2" is any better (it's definitely bigger), but the company itself is awful and a lot of their stuff is just remastered Akai libraries.

18. electriclash

electriclash Guest

:hahaha::hifive::headbang::headbang::headbang:

19. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Let the folks here play it for you ill contribute for nothing in return!

20. Sonny Crockett

Sonny Crockett Kapellmeister

Best choice I think about right now is Orange Tree Samples libraries, but they aren't much oriented to metal in my opinion (if that's what you're looking for precisely).

21. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star