Best reverb for vocals? Also ways to mix reverb in vocals?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by GoldenEar, Sep 14, 2017.

1. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Any idea if the EQ is pre-reverb or post? I prefer pre so the reverb doesn't process the cut frequencies. Kinda funny in that I'm running the Gold strip after the reverbs and it's got the HP/LP in it, but I don't use it because it's post that way. So I have to run a separate eq plug prior to whichever reverb I'm using.

2. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I honestly can't tell (and there's no mention of this in the owner's manual), but I'd be willing to bet it's post-reverb and not pre, since that's usually where most engineers place it, and where most reverb plugs utilize it. However, it can be turned off. You might even want to consider placing your own EQ for cutting your high and low frequencies, then an instance of something like Lexicon PCM and using its onboard EQ to still get the reverb sound they intended.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. For a very fine plate that always puts a smile on my face and has never let me down is SKnote Verbtone which is a physically modeled, non-linear plug with multi-mode modulation. The model is of a 1x2 meter metal plate. It has become my go to for my vocal because it just sounds so sweet to my ears. And did I say inexpensive? $29.99 well spent, though if I had the wear with all I would own a Bricasti M7...swish!

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Compressing the reverb with the vocals on the side/key will make the reverb duck, and let the vocal through. It doesn't have to be much ducking.
    Along with EQing the vocal pre the reverb, AKA the Abbey Road technique (to even further make room) it makes a great combo. At least forme.

5. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@Baxter, thanks for coming back with that answer!

I suppose this could be used also that rather than ducking when the vocal is there to duck when the vocal is not there for example when using a delay and you want it there when the vocal is going, but no tail during the pauses (because you're only trying to shape the vocal sound during the actual vocal part). I see after googling that this is called keying and usually used in conjunction with a gate.
    I did this with automation before (automated the delay bus volume) but this way seems like it would be much easier to get the effect I was after.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yes, it's even more usable on delays, as delays tend to clutter up the vocals if they are too dominant (depends on how similar in color/tone/timbre the delay is though). A little ducking while the vocalist is singing is a great trick.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. As well for electric guitar in a big way. Hear the notes played undisturbed, tucking under the delay and letting the delay bloom as the aftereffect. If you don't want the delay to disappear key just the volume.