Best Reverb and Delay plugins for Lead Vocals

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by james123, Aug 14, 2015.

1. james123

james123 Newbie

Hey Guys

Plz tell me which are the best reverb and delay plugins for vocals.

Thanku -

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

i like the stock delays most of the time, some extra i go for imperial delay. reverb? valhalla vintage verb

4. Mr_Amine

Mr_Amine Rock Star

Waves H-Reverb Hybrid Reverb
    Waves Renaissance Reverb
    & by the way Waves they have a lot of reverb plugins
    there also : UVI Sparkverb
    There also : valhalladsp

beside UAD Lexicon 224 Digital that i use in my studio
    and for my home studio i use waves & valhalla products

the thing is there is a lot of reverb plugins you have to try and see if the actual plugin work and successfully can give you the result you want
    and for the delay there is
    Sound Toys Echoboy & Waves supertap & Waves H-Delay my favourite Fabfilter Timeless 2

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  5. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I like Fabfilter Timeless for delay, simply because it makes it easy to duck the delay behind the vocal.

Example: Envelope follower -> negative modulation of wet output = voila! sidechain compression

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Every verb can be used for vocals and I am not sure that there could ever be a best (Although a Bricasti unit... but that is out of my ballpark, way out). As long as you can adjust the eq and pre delay I think most any verb is useable. Taste is another thing entirely. I love Valhalla verbs and yes, Fab Filter makes a fantastic delay that you can duck for the vocal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

don't forget to try 112db redline reverb, nice organic sounding reverb
    (to me at least, was looking for a better word than "natural" )

really nice presets on this that you can tweak to your liking

8. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

I usually use Soundtoys Echoboy for vocal delays but I have started to use Imperial Delay as well. I tend to use up to 3 reverb aux's on vocals with various verbs but something from Valhalla tends to be a least one of them.

9. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

Echoboy for Delays. (soundtoys)
    Current fav for reverbs is H-Reverb (waves)

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

It's usually not what reverb and/or delay you use, but how you use them and how you process them. You can do great things with stock reverbs and delays.

There are also different kinds of reverbs. Algorithmic-, and convolution reverbs. Which one do you prefer personally?

Personally I like AriesVerb (algo), SIR2 (conv) and all Valhalla reverbs (algo). For the SIR2 I have a ton of impulses of gear and places, some of which are recorded/made by myself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Most of the time the reverbs and delays in the DAW work fine, and some probably have presets. I almost always change the settings and EQ anyway, but for a plug in, I like the Tony Maserati reverb in Waves. Hard to judge reverb sounds until you get to final mix. The setting you think you want often changes when you get to that stage. Oh yeah, and I forgot, I still like Lexicon. I liked the original, I like the VST version.

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

forgot to mention, GSi tape echo, sounds really nice to me too, sort of old school ( and organic :bleh: sound again)

+1 for Echoboy

13. xsze

xsze Guest

14. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

OldSkoolVerb is nice for plate like reverbs but lately I am experimenting (I should say abusing) a lot with Acon digital Verberate both on vocals and instruments. The reason is simple: I've never heard anything like it. :P

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Ableton reverb, Ableton delays, Valhalla stuff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Lexicon or TC Electronic. They were used on nearly every hit record produced in the last couple of decades.
    With hardware units, true.. but their plugins sound fine, too.

17. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

Boz Imperial Delay because of the massive presets for a quick setup.
    And for reverb I favor the IK Multimedia CSR Hall for ballad/slow rock, Room for fast-tempo rock/metal, Plate for pop/r&b/soul/funk, Reverse for crazy effects / surprises.

18. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

The one You Love most.. that is always the right Answer, my favorite reverb... is is for example,, "Logic - Averb" haha believe or not.. for vocals, and a lot of other things too.. and I have tried them all.. so.. I guess that the one your Ears like more..

19. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Yes. This introduces a useful conversation for our friend who is asking for advice here. The best plugins are the ones you get the best results with. This sounds like a wishy-washy non-answer, but it's true. I'm sure Altiverb is a fantastic plugin, but frankly it has more parameters than some synths and therefore requires more time and effort than I'm willing to invest in a reverb.

To me the reason Ableton's plugins (and Ableton in general) are so superior is because they don't get in your way by making a big deal of themselves. Need a chorus? It's called... Chorus. And the only things that aren't part of the plain grey background are the parameters. I get my best results with them because they are easy to master. The same could be said of Fabfilter's interfaces, though they are some fairly superior plugins by any standards.

To @james123 - if you're like I used to be, you'll thank everyone for their input and then say to yourself "that answer was bullshit. I want the BEST one!". Use the plugins you know how to use. There's a saying I came across in my comic book reading days that I've always liked: "an expert with a rock will beat a novice with throwing knives".

20. Third World Kid

Third World Kid Member

Ah Reverbs! Of all the indispensable effects for mixing in this modern age: compressors, equalizers, reverbs...of them all, it is the function of the reverb that continues to intrigue and fascinate me. How they can be used to bring life and realism to flat and dull audio is amazing. That said my favourite reverb is Valhalla Vintage Verb...The interface is beautiful and very intuitive, nothing complex. And the sound is lush and awesome. I think that all algorithmic reverbs sound different though.
    For delays, I fell in love with Boz Digital Labs Imperial Delay the first time I saw its GUI and heard its performance. Even as a novice with only basic knowledge, it has never been a tedious task for me to get close to the effect I intend to achieve with it.

21. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Lexicon PCM and Echoboy