Best portable MIDI controller in Q1 2022

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, Mar 20, 2022.

1. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I think if you were wanting to use these pads for something like beats/samples, then any 4x4 (or even smaller) would do. But for actually wanting it as an alternative way to a keyboard for entering notes (to control a VST instrument, or synth, for example), I'd heavily lean towards an 8x8 for sure. I mean, you could still use a 4x4 for entering notes, but that only gives you a range of 16 notes, vs. 64 on an 8x8.

So it would really depend on what you're using it for, IMO.

The Aura having the display on it of course drives up the price (and is a great feature you may or may not use). Plus it has knobs for automation, as you noted. However, an 8x8 option of some sort will offer another form of versatility, letting you trigger beats/samples, as well as giving a way to act kind of like a keyboard controller (which is why I want the Launchpad X). But that versatility provided with the extra pads might also be something you don't care about and perhaps you are more interested in other features (like the LCD, for ex).

Some of these launchpads (and alternatives) light up the buttons in a particular scale you're working in.. showing root notes in one color, and the other scale notes in some other color, and leaving the notes outside of the scale unlit... so it gives a nice visual way for playing in scale. Of course the people that are trained in piano are screaming saying "JUST LEARN PIANO", but some of us are old-balls and that ship has sailed.. I just want an easy way to do this. :rofl: Seriously though, I am OK on a keyboard, but looking for a quicker way to do it than memorizing scales.

So, this is why I personally would be picking up a Launchpad X....... but if you've got no interest in using it like an alternative to keyboard and just want to use it to trigger samples / beats, then maybe another device is more up your alley.

I think I'd be using my LX25+ for controlling knobs on a VSTi... or if not that, I might pick up a cheap knob/slider controller of some sort for that. There's some alternatives to the Launchpad X that I believe have some knobs though for that purpose, but I just didn't personally need that. I don't know anything about it, but Ableton Push 2 is an example, but that's quite expensive.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  2. Sauce Cause

Sauce Cause Member

Just research reviews & look for anyone either slamming a product for having shit keys or highlighting the fact that it has excellent keys, trust me 75% of the Mini-Midi Keyboard market is basically shitty plastic with crap components that give crap velocity response & will be much more prone to breaking with any heavy use... Anything with either weighted keys or a top notch keybed is a minimum requirement in such a terribly shit saturated market.

That little extra spent on something with a great keybed & solid stable keys is something that you won't regret! Other functions will be down to your preference though, good luck :winker:

3. Sauce Cause

Sauce Cause Member

100% agree, aftertouch is a must for me also :wink:

4. DEATHROW

DEATHROW Producer

I ordered yesterday the Nektar LX Mini for making Beats.
    I like the overall quality, the pricing and the DAW compatiblety of Nektar Products.
    For working with better Keys like After Touch i have my Nektar Impact GXP88.

Btw: "The LX Mini has 25 velocity-sensitive mini-keys. It can be played expressively and has a defined and firm feel. With a choice of 4 velocity curves and 3 fixed values"

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022