Best place to buy gear in NYC

Discussion in 'Selling / Buying' started by DeepStar, Jul 1, 2014.

1. DeepStar

DeepStar Member

Hi fellow forumites

I'm visiting the Big Apple in a couple weeks and am taking the opportunity to buy some sweet gear while I'm there as stores in my country (South Africa) essentially sells US made gear at almost double the cost (Can you believe NI Maschine Studio selling for $1900?? :wow: ). I know of BH Photo/Video's mega store in Manhattan but any others you can recommend in the general area. Or even online as I'm sure my hotel can accept packages for me. The gear I'm specifically after is the NI M/Studio mentioned above and Komplete Audio 6 or equivalent (yes, I'm an NI gear slut! :dunno: )

Thanks in advance!

3. i1studios

i1studios Member

I used to go to Sam Ash Music on 34th St. I've also bought some stuff from the Guitar Center in Union Sq. on 14th St. I purchase most of my stuff online now through Sweetwater Sound at sweetwater dot com. Sweetwater is usually 2 days for delivery to NYC. Depending on how long, you're going to be in NYC, American Musical is right over the bridge and you can order stuff through their website, and it is usually delivered in 1 day to NYC area.

4. DeepStar

DeepStar Member

Thank you kindly for the suggestions. I'll definitely have a look at them. I'll be in NYC for 8 days and will do all my gear shopping first thing just in case places are out of stock or don't exist or whatever. Do any of those places have particularly good prices or are they the same across the board?

5. i1studios

i1studios Member

You should be ok, time wise to compare the prices in the store verses the prices online, but the prices are pretty much the same across the board. Both American Musical and Sweetwater give you free shipping, so either way you're good. You may be able to get a small discount if you go into one of the stores if you're purchasing a few high priced items, but being that they work on commission, you may not be able to get much, if any.

6. DeepStar

DeepStar Member

I'll definitely go in store rather than purchase online if it'll save me a buck or two. Thanks for all the advice.

7. buglife40

buglife40 Member

looking for something vintage at reasonable rates try Armans 251 w 30th street manhattan. lots of goodies their from new to vintage but all used gear.

8. tek909

tek909 Member

Rouge Music