Best PC VST-host for live?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ellin, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

What do you think is the best vst host to make music live?
    What do you think about Blue Cat's PatchWork?

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

1) ableton live.
    2) its good for people stuck with AAX. (PT and AAX = :deep_facepalm:)

4. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I used REAPER for live performance once. No issues, worked like a charm. The routing capabilities really helps in those scenarios.
    Although it's not really "designed" for live music. :yes:

5. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

Do you know "Plug and Mix Chainer"? What do you think about it?

6. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

I actually put a thread up similar to this a few months ago. Cantabile is pretty good, but I have had crashing problems on it. They are coming out with version 3 soon with a new engine and interface, so I will have to try it again. I have used Live Professor for a longer period of time, really liked it, but it doesn't get updated enough to keep up with newer VSTs. They are both pretty good about using setlists for instant preset change. If you are into using, what I think, is an old wiring diagram, unfriendly interface, then try Audiomulch & Rack Performer. Brainspawn Forte seemed difficult to work with, but, version 4 is out. Bloexpander looked good for awhile, but I feel it has issues with many VSTs. Then there is InTone and AirRack with virtually no support. V-Stack looks good, but I think Steinberg stopped supporting it. If you are doing Mac, there is the computer resource hog Mainstage(which is actually a good program, just not good with resources). Then there are......... the DAWs. Ableton Live is used extensively throughout the church circles & is even used to run lighting and lyric prompts along with stems, only be ready to spend countless hours programming your preset changes in it. It is a great program and works well, but quite a learning curve. Love Mixcraft, but no real way to run setlists. I haven't used /cubase for several years, but alot of people use it for live VSTing. I also love Studio One, but again, there could be a better way to run setlists. Reaper same thing. I have used nearly everything available and I have yet to find anything that works perfect for my setup. DAWs use up resources too. Some more than others. I was hoping Patchwork would be the one, but there may be a lack of support and I am not too thrilled with changing patches on the fly yet. There is a real need for a stand alone VST host with setlist programming and is updated frequently. Also, I don't want to spend hours of practice time learning to program a difficult program. MIDI and VSTs are not rocket science. I am a musician dammit!!
    Good luck on your search.

7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

so how did you think about it live vs ableton? ( if you also have used ableton that is )

they seem like such different processes, and ableton seems suited much more to triggering things live with some kind
    of pad controller, but reaper is so customizable.. I have no problem believing it can be used just as well...

8. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

Many thanks Westfinch! I found it very useful your information.
    ... There is a small, easy, simple host, which worked very well on XP and had a lot of cool features: Tobybear MiniHost. I worked a lot with this host, but Toby has not updated for 64-bit systems, even if it still works on Win7 and 8.
    I think Blue Cat Audio is well on the way to create a good host ...

9. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Since you need an interface anyway, I say PreSonus AudioBox. It's an interface, it's a mixer, and it comes with StudioOne. You can run it as a virtual mixer or as an analog mixer with digital assists, or in combination. And it's road/live gig worthy. Trying to use stuff that is not made for the rigors of the stage is just asking for trouble in the long run. Want to use a laptop on stage? Better get one with a solid aluminum case and built to military specifications, or keep it in a flight case.

10. westfinch

You would think so, lol! Actually I have been using laptops on stage for 9 years now. I retired my first one (heavy-ass Dell) about 4 yrs ago, only because the processor couldn't handle the newer progs. I am using a toshiba now. I have only had one crash in all that time, which was caused by the ridiculous heat we were in, and, my backup Roland Module also crashed at the same time. I lost a powered mixer on that gig as well (note to self: never again!). Other than that, never a problem with laptops or hardware. I handle them both with extreme care, and trust the laptops as much as I do hardware. Hardware modules and Keyboards with built-in samples and such are actually computers too. I have an E-mu proteus keyboard with built-in samples that i bought in the mid 90's. it is still going strong in rehearsal after alot of abusive road use. Techs at E-mu said the battery in it would only last about ten years and would have to be replaced along with losing all my soundsets. 20 yrs and still rockin'! Of course, it only takes one drunk at a bar to wipe some equipment out. Just gotta take care of your stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. westfinch

I hope you are right! I remember Tobybear. Wish it could have progressed. So many of these hosts start out with a bang then quit. Quite a shame. I really hate spending my money on unsupported software, but I still do, hoping they will stay in business.

12. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

13. Ellin

Ellin Kapellmeister

So... I tried this new software (also VST): Plug and Mix Chainer ... and found it great! Simple, efficient, intuitive, effective ... for me now is the best host VST / standalone I found ...