BEST PC for 400U$D?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Kuuhaku, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Yo, I know 400U$D isnt much but I need a PC setup for this prize, ive been lookin into ryzen 3 3100 + 16gb 3200mhz ram + motherboard but I dont know what would be better for me
    I already have an SSD
    I need: Motherboard; Processor;Video Card (I will not game, but I need to use 2 monitors) and ram
    No problem if it goes a little bit over 400
    thank you :)
    I use FL Studio, omnisphere, kontakt and waves plugins
    I just need them to run 100% fine without any kind of issues, maybe a fast rendering would be cool, but not necessary, I just dont want Pharlight to be lagging and fl to bug when I add like 20 waves plugins.
    Thank you :)

3. Dark6ixer

Dark6ixer Kapellmeister

why not just buy a good used laptop/pc and upgrade it when you get more money - you will end up with something much better than if you pay full price for something new bro - for 400 - that is more than enough to buy one to use fl studio

4. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

The best PC for that amount would be the one you build yourself. It's not hard to do. Just a few screws and a few cables

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Ryzen 3 3100, Asus Prime A320MK and 16gb 3000mhz ram for 210$ is a good deal? Im buying everything used

6. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

400U$D is 2000 of my actual currency, I cant go much over this :/

7. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Price seems ok, though it's interesting that you can get the CPU 2nd-hand as it was only released recently...

You need also budget for:
    a basic, silent (i.e. passive cooled) graphics card
    a (quiet) power supply 450W+ PLUS
    a cheap system SSD (at least 256GB)
    at least one other SSD/HDD for storing your music data/samples/libs etc
    a box (ideally sound dampened) to house it all in...

...well, it'll be tight but you should be able to manage if you shop around for best deals - good luck! :)

8. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

A good case with some fan options is the real thing that is needed. I have done many builds in the same case for years. Doing it yourself it awesome, by the time you're done, It's yours and no one can take that away from you

9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Defnintely self build, or by refurbished. If you do that you'll get good value, you can buy a machine with specs that are proven, you will have enough warantee that if it's going to break it probably will while it's covered- but it won't because refurbs have already been pretty carefully rebuilt; that's the beauty of them. In my experience $400 will buy a slamming machine for production- you don't need gamer specs to do music.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Decades of self-build abuse has taught me that new kit generally fails within a week or not at all unless actively mistreated.

I personally would never buy a 2nd hand drive unless the seller guarantees that it was never actually used.

@Trurl 's point about refurbished PCs, though, is a very solid strategy to consider, 'cos it is true that excellent ex-office kit turns-up on ebay etc that would be impossible to match, even at self-build prices - however, nothing can match the hard-earned satisfaction of seeing your first self-build baby come to life... ah, i remember it well, as if it were yesterday - a fine day!
    :chilling:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  11. cooper

cooper Member

Maybe someone else can confirm, I recently purchased the same components to upgrade my PC but I left out the Videocard and keeping my old one. I believe I saw some mobos with an HDMI and a display port. But I have no idea if these can be used simultaneously. Maybe someone else can help with this, I upgrade my PC almost every 10 years so I can't say for sure anymore :D

For example:
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-E-Gaming/
    ‧ HDMI 2.0
    ‧ DisplayPort 1.2

It warrants some extra research but maybe you can go without a discrete graphics card and save some money or help you get the build you need.

12. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Thanks guys :) I already have built a pc, I have a fx 8300 + 8gb ram + 360gb SSD + 250gb HD
    It runs good but I cant use Pharlight :(
    So I want something that I can use for the next 3 years

13. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Yooo, I have already a gt 9800 512mb, its thrash but it can show my daw image on my monitors xD

14. maxx7650

maxx7650 Noisemaker

Ryzen 1600AF 6 core 12 threads around 100$
    Amd b350- b450 mobo around 100$
    16 gb ram 3200 mhz around 80 $ u left with 120 $ for the rest

15. evolasme

evolasme Producer

Build it yourself but try and do it with with. some sense of upgradeability so you dodnt have to buy everything again when upgrading

16. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

honestly, for 400U$D I would lookout for a Ryzen G model,
    slap it on the cheapest ASRock board (ASRock B450M)
    Find compatible 16 GB sticks on the motherboard support page.

add a power supply, 300 Watts is more than enough so a be quiet! System Power B9, 350W will do.
    Put it in a case like the Inter-Tech B-49 and you're done for around 230 euros.

the rest of the cash you could invest in a pair of SSDs or go for a higher Ryzen G model
    this includes dual screen options tru vga and dvi

17. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

MOBO: B450 MSI Tomahawk Max ~110$ - Best in class vs money mobo.
    CPU: Ryzen 5 1600AF ~100$ - Not to be confused with 1st gen Ryzen cpus, this is a new cpu built at 12 nm arhitecture and it's a budget equivalent to the Ryzen 5 2600 with less cache. It is a 6 core/12 thread cpu @ 3.2 ghz (boost @ 3.6) and atm it's the best low budget cpu for workstation and production.
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 550 Pulse/4gb ~ 80$. Quality low budget GPU that will drive up to 3 monitors and has adequate ram for 4k reproduction. Can even do slight acceleration for Premiere/Vegas etc. Slightly better latency than cheap Nvidias.
    RAM: GSkill Aegis 32GB (2x16gb) @ 3200mhz ~125$ - I have installed it many times on the suggested mobo, it works just fine.
    Total of 415$. If you need to get the total price lower, swap the GPU for a cheaper like a Geforce GT710 which costs about 35$. whatever the case, i suggest you stick with 32gb ram, you will not regret it.
    Cheers :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

If you can wait, AMD motherboards should get cheaper once the B550 is released.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Wow!! Nice pricing, can you send me the link of this Ryzen in somewhere other than amazon? I didnt find it on Brazil market
    also!! These Gskill gonna serve me nicely if I can buy one by one :) Thank you :) :) :)

20. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Also, should I get the 1600AF or the Ryzen 3 3100? Idk who is better :/

21. evolasme

evolasme Producer

good idea but keep in mind make sure your going to get the exact same sticks later on when adding . running different sticks of ram most times is not recommended

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List