Best PC Audio Editor?

Discussion in 'Software' started by babybrown, Oct 24, 2011.

?

Poll

1. WaveLab

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. SoundForge

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Audition

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Audacity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. babybrown

babybrown Ultrasonic

What's your fave and why?

I have been using Cakewalk Pyro for the longest time (AiR).

Mainly because I like that I can use VST in it and change to mp3 with metadata quickly

Let us know!

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Editing Audio tracks within live is quite a pain, as far as I know, one has to save the edited track (via external editor) to the desktop, then overwrite back into the project.

All seems like quite a pain in the ass, so I do very little audio editing, mostly just within live tracks, split, move, copy paste etc.

4. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

I find Adobe Audition to be the most powerful tool to edit audio. I have used Sound Forge as well and it was Ok too and there are some functions in it that are not found in AA. But overall nothing takes you to the intricacies of audio like Adobe Audition. Waveosaur is great for fast work where you just need to quickly analyze something, chop bits or normalize etc, also Wavelab was really fun to work on when i first tried it ages ago.

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Yep, Audition is pretty good. It's my DAW but I occasionally use it to edit audio. Very handy switching back & forth.

Wavelab I only use because it has one of the best time/pitch shifting algorithms (DIRAC). Other than that, I don't use it.

6. emax2

emax2 Ultrasonic

I have used wavelab for a number of years.I found wavelab is easy o use.I currently use wavelab 6

7. cxc90

cxc90 Newbie

Audacity, nothing can beat a good piece of freeware, and it also support vst :D

8. lysergyk

lysergyk Kapellmeister

same here, audition is good and is my favourite, it's easy and fast to use...never got used to wavelab, but that's just me, it's pretty good too I'm sure

9. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Wavelab6 here since Wavelab3 .....! Thats the one I started with but Im sure there are other editors that can do the job as well as Wavelab!

10. Xiny6581

Xiny6581 Noisemaker

Soundforge is the one I use when it comes to edit audio. I like it due it's fast, solid and a nice powerhorse. I've worked with soundforge for a long time. SF can deal with VST's and the chainer is awesome.

11. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

Poll has been added. Please vote!

p.s. wavelab is my choice.

12. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Have been using Steinberg Wavelab for over a decade. Also Audacity, Sony Sound Forge, Cool edit/Adobe Audition, etc.

13. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

That's funny because I'm a Wavelab user, but I also use Audition... only for its time-stretching algorithm (iZotope Radius) which I find works better on polyphonic material :
    Code:
    http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/radius/

14. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

I've been using soundforge since version 3 *it ran on windows 3.1 back then*

Have never seen any reason to change after all this time, it's still solid, has everything i need...

15. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

All I ever really need to do is to downmix to mono, chop bits or convert to rex. Ableton does a decent job of chopping transients. I love being able to drop a sample on it and have it chop the transients to notes or pads automatically. When ableton doesnt get it right, I go for Recycle. :wow: or sometimes Edison *yes* Thats all the 3rd party editing I really need tho.
    --
    sG
    I

16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

hmm for me its goldwave over the years now(ok since 2001) its quite simple and the default plugins are working fine and fast. u can also expand it with vst plugs for example from waves.

@One Reason: depends what u normally classify as editing audio in live. when i i compressed or eq a audio file in live - i normally flatten it to have it there.
    also editing cutting or fading is easy!

17. PitchWheel

PitchWheel Newbie

Long time ago I used Cooledit, I think that it later on was renamed in Audition, but now I'm stuck with Soundforge, very powerful, fast and easy to use. I've been declicking some tracks and it has been incredible.

18. bacon fat

bacon fat Newbie

Adobe Audition is amazing, then sound forge... I have been a fan since cool edit days (Multi-tracked with it also back then...)

19. TkiD

TkiD Noisemaker

Ive always used Soundforge since version 4.5. I guess i'm just used to it, it does everything i want, i use Ableton Live 8.2.5, but do any audio creation separetly, editing in ableton and soundforge most of the time. :wink: