Best MIDI keyboard without bells and whistles

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by oska, Jan 7, 2024.

1. oska

oska Noisemaker

Hi,
    I am looking for a MIDI controller 32-49 keys, The requirement is good keys, aftertouch, good feel of the keys. I don't want anything else like DAW controls etc.
    So which barebones keyboard should I go for which has the best keys. ON=nly want to play virtual instruments and Kontakt.
    Thanks

3. Dblurgh

Dblurgh Ultrasonic

Keystep. It has a built-in sequencer and arpeggiator, but overall it's very minimal and known for its nice playability.

4. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

hammer or spring keys ?

5. Ryan

Ryan Member

Can you clarify which sort of keys feel good to you? For example, I prefer keys that are rather soft to press whereas others prefer keys that are harder to press...etc
    Speaking about that: my impact Gx49 once had very soft keys when I first bought it, but somehow they got a bit less soft over the years

6. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

You have to specify what you mean for good feel: "natural size" (not mini)? Weighted?

I personally wouldn't care much about the feel, most of them feel plasticky and light, you have to go on semi or weighted to really "feel" the key and usually those are reserved for 61+.

I have a portable M-Audio KeyStation 32 (mini size), velocity but NOT aftertouch, no controllers except a useless button pitch bend, but I wouldn't suggest it to play at least a bit seriously.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

i use NI KK S49 mk2. It plays very nicely and has minimal controls. I use it with Logic so I basically just ignore the screens because I am not going to install VST3 plugins just for a controller. Since the release of the Mk3 boards, you can get one used for a good price. Many people switched to MK3 for polyphonic aftertouch gimmick feature so you could get a good deal on one. Their a?49 without the screens has a different keybed.

8. vcfromjupiter

vcfromjupiter Noisemaker

Sl mk2 by novation, has a lot of control but the keybad its amazing imho, the one the I like the most between NI, Arturia, and other brands

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

both MK2 novation and NI S-series used Fatar keybeds. The Novation MK3 isn't. Some people with the MK3 complain about it, and others say they like it better than the Fatar. i'd get an mk2 of either of them, did anyone ever need poly aftertouch? I haven't seen a single person mention it again after they "upgraded".

10. mrreboot

mrreboot Noisemaker

I have one Alesis Q88, will recommend the Alesis Q series for lower number of keys. Somehow these are exactly 1 to 1 to the M-Audio Keystation series. Semi weighted keys, one fader, pitch-mod wheels, octave shift buttons. Later they did a MKII version as well.

11. evolasme

evolasme Producer

right now im running a novation Launchkey 49. got it used at a great price does everything i need

12. GluBloB

GluBloB Ultrasonic

Try to find a old Edirol (Roland) PCR 300 , 500 , 800
    Those have (at the 500 , 800) - (50 free programmable controllers) , 2 MIDI Ports and Aftertouch

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  13. GluBloB

GluBloB Ultrasonic

I hope I got not banned , but anyone has ever take a look in the cheap plastics (in Novation Stuff) ?

14. evolasme

evolasme Producer

PLastic yes, cheap no this thing seems well made all buttons and faders and knobs are as good as anything i have used before