Best method to transpose audio ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vampgirl, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

I often find myself in a situation where I need to transpose an instrumental track some times for few semi tones. I was wondering what is the best software or method to achieve this with the best possible quality.

I use Studio One and with it I am able to transpose on the fly by a simple right click on the audio track. I also have a plugin called "ElastiquePitch V2". The result with both are very descent. But I wonder if there is a better way, specially when there is need for going up/down few (sometimes 5) semi tones?

3. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

this is the way. make sure you to set the timestrecth algorithm to sound - elastique pro formant or solo, depending on the material

4. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Laersen

Laersen Member

Yes Melodyne. Cubase Pro too but no more than a half tone. Idem For Melodyne.

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

You can transpose pretty much more than a half a note....... I´ve done up to 5 half notes without sounding strange.

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

There was a very similar thread recently. It'd be useful to link it, don't remember by heart.

9. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

Thanks a lot! I just checked and it was on drums! Changed to sound :) thanks for the tip.
    Didn't know that this could be done with Melodyne! I will check this :)
    Going to check this one out too :)

10. Warped Effect

Warped Effect Ultrasonic

Have you tried ToneBoosters VoicePitcher v3 ?, it's one of those high quality pitch shifters with formant correction that hardly anyone knows about, and ToneBoosters doesn't even sell it anymore, because it's a legacy plugin now.

Here's a screenshot of my ToneBoosters VoicePitcher v3 settings for a pitch shifted voice with formant correction turned on. https://imgbb.com/CW7vyyw

You can download the latest version of ToneBoosters VoicePitcher v3 from the sister site by searching for ToneBoosters Plugin Bundle v1.4.9

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. clone

clone Audiosexual

was it the one where I compared this like a trip to Home Depot, where I asked how to use a nail and 14 different people tried to sell me a hammer? it's ok, I ended up going with the 800$ one, the guy told me after I use it 120 times and put everything together is when I will really notice the difference in the higher quality one.

12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The goal was to avoid a repetition of that :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. jon doe like pizza dough

jon doe like pizza dough Ultrasonic

not really sure but nuendo has a awesome transposing algorithm

14. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

Today I tried QuikQuak's Pitchwheel and also updated my older ElastiquePitch V2 to the latest version. They both do a decent job and both are better compared to Studio One's pitch shift. (btw the default studio one Drum preset works best and changing it to sound gave a very bad result). I use these to transpose audio tracks on the fly to adjust them to my voice when singing. So any other person interested in doing th same should give QuikQuak's Pitchwheel & ElastiquePitch V2 a try.

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think if I need an additional plugin to "do the math more correctly" than my DAW software can handle for +/- 6 on a sample without a ton of audible damage in 2022, there is maybe something else wrong. So it takes someone else with a computer to notice the difference, at all? Sign me up. And if you like that, Let me show you this new hammer called Dolby Atmos. People who don't know it's not there don't even know it exists, but they can hear it? great work.

16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That's a fact, a few semitones are handled well by most DAWs nowadays.
    But it doesn't hurt to try an alternative because you never know when you're gonna need more than 6 semitones. And that's when shit starts to hit the fan.
    I get you again. That's related to the pseudo-elitists for which I have such a dear soft-spot.
    At this pace in a couple years we'll have dolby-16D-surround-stratospheric with 16.3 speakers, a couple of them hanging on a drone aboveour heads :rofl:
    And people will buy it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'll spend 800$ on Pitch n Time ( I know this is a joke), and get the audio all perfectly stretched. And then turn around and stick it in a sampler from 1994 to '.f it all up again, "in a more musical sounding analog warmth way".

If you really need more than Logic, Protools channel transpose; or even getting all exotic and using Melodyne or Auto-Tune is not enough; what you really need is better musicians to record.

People will say, it will not translate perfectly when on big screen film work. That might be true, but let's slow down there.