Best Mastering EQ VST

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by railkiller2376, Sep 9, 2024 at 3:34 PM.

1. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Producer

i would say stock eq in studio one.. there is no such thing as this is better.. if it sounds good to YOU

2. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Rock Star

Hello, noob question here:
    what makes an EQ a mastering EQ?

3. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

Marketing ?

4. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Subtlety, flexibility and high quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I don't think there's any serious definition, but I'd expect linear phase to be an option in a mastering EQ.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Producer

i have tried over the years so many plugins but i realised less is more.. i have tried audio ease, soft tube, crysonic and more and i must say many of them are really useless.. they LOOK better than stock plugins yes.. but believing very expensive waves plugins is sucess mixing? no

7. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Something that doesn't go to eleven and smear your stereo image.

8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

For highs try
    DDMF 6144
    Kush Clariphonic
    PA LTL Silver Bullet
    PSP E27
    Apqualizr 2!
    Slate Fresh Air
    Crave EQ2
    kirchhoff eq
    equilibrium
    TDR
    MAAT eqs
    Pulsar Modular MDN...
    Pulsar audio eqs
    Kazrog avalon's eq section
    Kazrog Eq
    Luftikus, PA MAAG
    Vertigo gyrator eqs, saturators exciters
    Wavesfactory spectre
    Exciters a la audiothing,
    And all mentioned above)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024 at 8:05 PM
  9. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Also, cutting some mud and boominess in lowmids gives some breath, air, unmasks highs.
    Deharsh slightly highmids as well

10. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

Plenty of good options mentioned here already. I would add these from acustica :

Cherry
    Big Ceil
    Erin
    indigo
    Magenta

11. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I think there's a difference between "better" (or "smoothest") and "favorite"

I don't think you can tell the difference (in a mastering context) between your DAW's stock EQ and a super expensive high-end EQ so... yeah, what would be the point? I reckon you're better off spending your time studying and researching about EQs, especially given what you described in your post. But, anyways

My favorite master EQ rn is Michelangelo (remember, "favorite" is not "best", I could probably replicate it using stock plugins as well).

12. zpaces

zpaces Producer

EQs are EQs, (At least for VSTs) They all do the same. Frequency, dB (or dB/oct), and Q. And they sound the same, if there aren't added any distortion, saturation or noises.

13. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

What if your mix need a cut? Do you know what mastering is about?

Just a reminder: mastering while mixing null mastering.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024 at 8:58 PM
  14. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

In hardware world :

1. Mastering Grade EQ has (ideally) almost flat/linear frequency response usually more than 20kHz and some even go up to the supersonic 40-50kHz and more and still flat and goes down to 5-10Hz on the low end. So they practically have more "effective range" to work, and ideally provide more accuracy on the highest and lowest end. Non-mastering EQs, has high-end early roll off as early as 10kHz (ie. 1073) for some vintages and the frequency response are not guaranteed to be flat with high tolerance of variation from unit to unit. Mastering grade usually has smaller range for the tolerance because 100% flat is clearly impossible. Left/Right channel also matched as close as possible down to tubes pairing and wire length, again for linear response.

2. Almost flat/linear input and output stage, usually specially design transformers and high quality selected parts. Modern design removes transformer altogether and advertised as "transformerless" design with balanced input/output in order to give user the option to keep the signal path as clean as possible. Not all, some mastering EQ keep this for "character" or "boxtone" purpose, especially the older design or maybe the quality standard didn't exist back then and the flaw in design turns out to be a good thing.

3. Low noise and THD. Some Mastering EQ even operates at higher voltage (ie. SPL) to minimize the noise, crosstalk and THD. High quality parts also contributes to this, the wires used inside are high quality to minimize the microphonic noise (vibration due to conversion). Power supply and distribution units too for some. Should explain the price.

5. Stepped controls for easy recall.

6. Smaller range (min and max total boost/cut) and increment value (as low as 0.5db per step) compared to the non-mastering unit.

For point 1,2,3 in digital world, for that goal and purpose (linear response), any digital EQ ever beat all hardware mastering EQs just like that, by doing exactly nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. ceo54

ceo54 Kapellmeister

Some Eq's that sound really "musical"

Kazrog True 252
    Softube Trident A range, arturia also makes this model but installing their softwares to test is a mess.
    Overloud W495

They are all very musical but the Trident really cracks the low end. Kazrog has a little air and Overloud is just well balanced.