Best mastering compressor

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by krewznie, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Yea, but really...what is the best mastering compressor? :rofl:

I'm all ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Manley SLAM, Shadow Hills MFR, Focusrite Red3.
    Expensive but unbeaten. I own the Manley & Red3, still worth their weight in gold.
    Good calbing required.

3. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

+1 one for the Red3 i own one for long time now... an even tho i use it more as a mix compressor than a mastering tool it can do both for what i need >>>their are no rules ;) I also agree that Good Cabling is a must ... an if anyone is using hardware never skimp in this area. clean an pristine lowest noise you can achieve ;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. mstlz1

mstlz1 Member

My go-to mastering compressors are Vertigo VSC-2 and Elysia alpha master. Usually i go for attack 30ms, release 100ms, ratio 2:1, sidechain filter 90hz, gain reduction 1-1.5dbFS and I unlink left and right on the Vertigo. On the Elysia I use it as a mid-side compressor. The only thing I change from the default setting is the attack time except the threshold obviously. I set the attack at 88ms and I again unlink the mid and side so that it works in M-S mode. I reach out for a gain reduction of 0.5-1db.

This seems to be subtle but it really tightens up most mixes.

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Fabfilter Pro-MB
    [​IMG]