Best mastering compressor

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by krewznie, Jul 26, 2017.

1. C7

C7 Member

The best "mastering compressor" is just some bulky (the bigger the better) random piece of vintage (the older the better) gear that has all these pretty knobs and buttons and looks intimidating so you can trick all your clients into believing this magic piece of gear will give their crappy mixes that pro sound.

It doesn't even really need to work so you could probably save some money and buy a broken one. Then just pretend you are using it while you run your clients mix through a DAW plugin and squash the hell out of it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Blue...I mean red!

3. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I personally dont use a compressor in mastering because ive got everything under control via the mixing stage.... sometimes im mixing into my compressor from the start of the final mixdown >>> so best advise for you is to get everything in control on channels and busses and you wont need a Mastering Compressor... if Mastering for loudness use stages of plugin limiters and clippers to get it under control>>> i use hardware EQ,L2 hardware limiter >>> clip my Pure2 convertor and maybe a Limiter like A.O.M on the way back in if im goin Mega Stupid loud for a customer ;) >>>as others here have stated their is no magic one comp does it all mastering solution for any mix \m/

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Start with Cobalt, take it for a 30 day demo, if it does not fit your needs look to Coral...... after that look to algo plugins.

5. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

6. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

ill
    I wholeheartly agree, but still. One can't go wrong with a manley variable mu.:thumbsup:
    eventually every engineer will find a purpose for it.

7. outofnames

outofnames Newbie

Waves LinMB, SSL G Comp, L1

8. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Your knowledge of mastering is incorrect. A balanced mix is not all that is needed to be considered mastered. Read Bob Katz's book on mastering and familiarise yourself with the set of skills and tools to ensure tracks all meet the criteria of being "professionally mastered"
    I despair at the number of people who own a computer in their bedrooms, some plugins, average monitors and suddenly are experts at everything. I've been a pro for almost forty years and I always send songs out for mastering..... not so they sound better, but so they sound equal. Equal to other material whether it's for digital download, CD or a film score. And this can only be done in an environment where the space allows precise referencing.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2017
  9. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

shadow hills is only one i used that worked the way i wanted for mastering, otherwise i would use tube gear preamps and such to delicate the transients

10. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

This is exactly what I have experienced. When in the end I try to use a compressor, the mix usually gets worst because I have taken care of everything during the mix and there is no need for a compressor.
    And sometimes I start mixing by a compressor on the master bus so I can mix with related to the sound I hear.
    Generally doing a crazy thing like using a mastering compressor in the end won't take your sound to next level. It just change the sound that usually is not what you mixed and wanted

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Amen my friend.
    Well said, totally agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Jeffrey_Goinz

Jeffrey_Goinz Ultrasonic

Check this... :invision::dj: https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/ It can be Mighty if you use it the right way, and its for FREE! If you dont Like it, Talk to the Hand!

Here an Example how it can Sound if i Master a Beat with this!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  13. Kambizmahdavi

Kambizmahdavi Member

Tnx a lot my friend

14. karnana

karnana Member

everyone likes u73b

15. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

cytomic the glue

16. Banz

Banz Ultrasonic

The best compressor for mastering is actually the song that doesn't need one.

We don't have ''the best'' in audio, sorry.

17. LeviD

LeviD Ultrasonic

Tokyo Dawn Labs - Nova

18. ontschoeit

ontschoeit Kapellmeister

Guys. We have a task. It has been set. It is plain and clear. So what is the best mastering compressor now? I am expecting the result within 48 hours. Otherwise I'll call other experts.

19. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Hold it stop right now the Almight God has spoken!!! Lol... Get real bro I own a working studio now for 20 years ;) Their is no best compressor or mastering that can fix a crap recording or mix ??? Not even Bob Katz can see threw this load of smoke hahaha your kill in me...if he's needing a Best Compressor as OP is asking he's not using Mastering house now is he ??? BUT if he is I would sugest he us my guy Brad Blackwood... For your future reference you need to read around here more befor you bark at a pro with clams of being one yourself ;) I'm booking all the time feel free to come set in on a session im just an email away ;)

20. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I do not clame to know it all but I do this full time for many years now...You will never hear me state that any plugin will convince me to sale any of my hardware..and their is no best of anything including hardware... Their is unlimited ways to mix and master music. I have my preferred way an others have their own ;) people will always tell you what the best way to do it is and no argument is right or wrong or is ever won on the internet for damn sure lol... All I will tell you is learn as much as you can from all views and apply it to what you do...keep what knowledge works for an pass on the rest ;) if it sounds good it sounds good... Just like recording an acoustic guitar thiers so many ways to capture a sound it really just boils down to what sounds the best to you\m/ i personally like a shure 141 or my Vintage AKG c451e into my 1073 ,dbx160 or Ashley mod CL 52e then hit my 1176 be for interning the DAW .....and theirs a million other ways to do so \m/ so please BTW do mine tell me what is the best mastering compressor ??? Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List