Best kick samples for edm?

Discussion in 'Software' started by samsome, Feb 6, 2021.

1. samsome

samsome Guest

where can i find the Best kick samples for edm?

THanks!

3. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Normally, someone would say Vengeance but don't forget to look for artists and labels that released sample packs, some examples that come to mind (mostly @ Splice):
    KSHMR Volume 1+2+3
    Protocol presents Nicky Romero
    Mixmash Essential Sounds (Laidback Luke)
    Revealed Producer Starter Pack Vol. 1+2+3+4
    Jordy Dazz The Sample Collection 1+2

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • List
  4. samsome

samsome Guest

hey i wanted to ask you,

have you tried kick 2 from sonic academy? cause I was testing it and sounds pretty good

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

the answer will always be KICK2, bcs its so damn flexible and better than a kickdrum sample every will be.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Yes, but you asked for samples so that's why I didn't mention plug-ins :)
    Anyway, you can combine both if you like, just take the click from already good sounding samples - which is actually your kick character - and the sub or low-end part from Kick 2 to match the key you prefer. Layering is always a good idea to get that 'big' sound btw.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

In the 70ies a kick drum sound lasted for years (ask Xup [​IMG]), today it can be outdated when the sample CD is released. My suggestion would be, grab a drum synth learn how to master it and instead of running behind, run ahead. :yes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. samsome

samsome Guest

where is the click? is it a high frequency thing? i was searching for a tutorial to understand but i didn't like the one i saw

thanks!

9. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

Yes, but not all the way up in the spectrum, otherwise you'll miss the important part. Compare it to layering, the low part beneath 200 Hz for example (to start with) and above the high part, so called click. I haven't use Kick 2 for a long time so I'm not sure anymore how it works exactly but I've just checked some images. You can load your sample in the click section - up to 3 nowadays so it seems - and filter it with the LP/HP knob. The synthesize part has an EQ to tweak. Hmz, maybe I should use it again sometime but I already figured out a different approach to create my kicks and give it an unique character. Using samples, TR-909, Microtonic, multiband distortion (like Trash2), multiband saturation (Saturn2) and Tube processors (like Antares Avox Warm and Wave Arts Tube Saturator). But don't go that way for now. Keep it simple :winker:

10. SamCH

SamCH Ultrasonic

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. The click is the sharp transient at the beginning of the sound of the kick. On an actual kick drum it is the sound of the beater hitting the drum head. Different materials give different sounds. Jazz music would often use a felt beater for a less intrusive sound while rock music uses a wooden beater to cut through more prominently.
    So yes, the click you describe is the high frequency of the sound and is just as important to the sound as the bass frequencies.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. joem

joem Producer

splice

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Oh yes... indeed, indeed young man... COFFF COFFF!... :guru:
    I remember those military parades bands....zzz... those were the drums.... zzz ... I mean the days...ZZZZ :yawn::guru:

Now where did I leave my teeth....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021