best headphones for mixing & mastering edm

Discussion in 'Studio' started by madcre8r, Mar 16, 2012.

1. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I was thinking of something more similar to an anal probe for subsonics that you sit on. lol could probably market that quicker.

2. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

Anal probe that vibrates at subsonic frequencies? If that's what your into? I think they already make them, just not for audio experences.

I was miles out
    I thought you ment getting a big padded office chair, then dismantleing the head part. Fitting 2 10 inch speaker cones (may be bigger) on eather side of the head area and bulk up the head rest so your ears are aproximately in the center of the cones.
    No resonence build up on frequencies as your not closed in.
    Better bass representation as they are bigger cones
    and you can keep the volume down as you couldn't get closer to the sound source if you try'd

Anyway ou hear most the low frequencies threw your skull so playing it at your head would be the best bet for hearing them.

Then again some of the people on here give me thet feeling they'd enjoy their songs subsonic better threw an anal probe.

You'd be taking the term loveing music to a hole new level.

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

4. Burg

Burg Newbie

I use the DT 880's They seem to be a little more comfortable on my head.

I am now mixing on the SE Munro 150 Eggs and i am still burning them in so I don't have an accurate assessment. They do sound pretty amazing to me though.

Before those I have been mixing with some Crappy Alesis Monitor one's from the late 90's. They suck, but as mentioned before I learned how to use them in conjunction with metering and additional reference sources included ipod ear buds, crappy mono speakers for phasing and levels, big sound system when I can, computer monitor and the like.

Definitely find some good comfortable headphones for yourself as it sounds like that is going to be your primary way of mixing, but keep in mind that you will need to really learn those headphones and how to compensate by checking your mixes (constantly and throughout the process) in other sources and against professional mixes that you want to match.

Some great tips on this thread btw. Thanks!

Burg

5. Mstar

Mstar Newbie

I can get pretty close using Audio Technica ATH-M50s at home since I know them well. The low end is accurate enough for me to make some progress. The high end is off but i just compensate and finish the mix in the office/studio (fine tune). To say never use cans is very closed minded. Listen to things in every environment. Is it natural. No worse than a screwed up room with great monitors and making decisions, based on those "natural" environmental s IMO. *no*

6. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

7. joem

joem Producer

i know that danny from koan sound system uses a 15 quid pair of headphones to mix and master and there songs are awesome its all down to what your comfortable with in the end and what suits you i use a set of hd 25s yea there bassy but i like them i know where im going wrong because ive used them for the best part of around 3 years or so so im comfortable with them.

8. joem

joem Producer

i know that danny from koan sound uses a 15 quid pair of headphones to mix and master and reason4 and there songs are awesome its all down to what your comfortable with in the end and what suits you i use a set of hd 25s yea there bassy but i like them i know where im going wrong because ive used them for the best part of around 3 years or so so im comfortable with them.

9. meatball

meatball Noisemaker

Since this is one of these posts that refuses to die, I thought I'd add a few comments...

My old buddy Dave Rat (RHCP,etc.) has an excellent multi-part video series up on YouTube in which he compares many different sets of headphones using a spectrum analyzer. Be sure to check it out.

This is the link: Dave Rat - The Mighty Headphone Quest Part 1. Check out the other parts, too.

Anyone considering using headphones should at the very least check the manufacturer's frequency response curves to find something as close to a flat reference curve as they can. Some phones, such as the Quincy Jones, Dr. Dre, etc. have notoriously bad coloration.

If you take a look at the frequency response curves of most headphones, you'll find they're far from flat like studio/reference monitors. The boost in the response curve is usually done intentionally to give more character to the phones. This can make them sound "good" but using them to mix on can be difficult because your mix will sound completely different on a different set of speakers in a different environment-- and the result is often flat and lifeless. The difference in characteristics doesn't necessarily have to be "bad", but if you use cans, I'd recommend that you always do A-B comparisons on a few different sets of speakers, in your car, etc. Even if you mix using top of the line Genelecs, KRK's or whatever, I'd recommend doing a few comparisons on consumer-grade electronics anyhow. Bottom line-- Sure, go ahead and mix on your phones, but be aware of the tonal characteristics and mix accordingly and find a pair of cans that best translates the sound you want to different environments.

10. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Heisenberg