Best Free Software for Making Music

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oysters, Nov 4, 2014.

1. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  2. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

I haven't been on the forum in a while but just wanted to thank all the people that constantly contribute good freebies to this thread. Went throught and found tons of good stuff I've missed over the months. It's insane the quality of freebies nowadays vs ones I started on in 2004.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Ok great.
    What would be your choice for the best free plugin, and why?

4. BagelShaggerz

Definitely has to be Vital as best free plugin because lets face it, that plugin can be charged up front the same as Serum but yet its free or at the least very affordable for higher tiers. Even though the free version does it all anyways just like the "demo" version of Reaper. The best part about it is it doesn't seem to replace Serum or even seem to want to with it's sound and output.

It just sort of compliments Serum by doing similar things in function but somehow still sounding different enough in similar applications that I can't let them replace each other and they both end up keepers. I like the farmiliarity but also enjoy the slightly more modern sound that comes out of Vital.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Olymoon

I can only agree with you.:wink:
    Vital is one of the best synth actually, free or not free.
    With it's very well thought GUI it's very intuitive, yet very powerful. Last but not least, it sounds very good, even with a simple saw wave and a modulated filter.
    The possibility to edit / create your own wavetables and save them by resynthesis is also one of it's best feature.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Olymoon

Yes, an old and limited , but good sounding synth.

How do you use it today? Which are it's advantages?

7. droplet

droplet Rock Star

if you can quickly get a fast plucky analogish bass?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. BagelShaggerz

Exactly that, I love being able to just drag & drop any knob or marker onto any other so quickly. The effects are cool and the visual feedback is tons of fun. I love the OTT style multiband compressor in the FX section & wish that the developer would follow release an FX version of Vital like Serum did. There are pad and lead patches I made in other synths that I'd love to use Vital's FX on like I do with Serum all the time.

[The text-speech engine is a quirky touch although Serum already had a speech synth under the hood as a lesser known fact for years before Vital was even a thing. Glad there haven't been any ABBA remixes made with the speech engines lately] *Shudders*

My personal favorite thing is the quality of the filters combined with the FX section, my own collection of wavetables then routing my envelopes or LFO's to fuck about with things like unison amount, spread, formant filters and all sorts of black magic fucker so easily and quickly. I can bang out like 20-40 presets or up to 60 on a really good day with Vital or Serum because they excel in speed and ease of use.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  9. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Platinum Record

Yeah couldn't agree more.. its so so powerful

10. Olymoon

Practical? Yes. Part of the best free software for music? Not enough reason.
    Do you use it? What , in your opinion, could make it part of the best free software for music?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  11. Olymoon

A reminder (again) to everyone here.
    This thread is about the Best Free Software for Making Music.

So please, speak and comment only about software you know, have experience with it, and have a personal good reason to think it is the best in 2022 and explain it.

Otherwise this would be another list of free software, and would not comply with the goal of exchanging about the BEST free software.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. droplet

droplet Rock Star

I've used it and it is good, but i don't use it now.

13. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Maybe the thread title should be changed to 'Free software for making music' and if someone's interested, they could make a new post listing the best of the best in a post they plan on maintaining.

14. Olymoon

Why? The thread have a good title.
    Also, for simple useless listing without any personal experience about the software, you can already find countless places to loose your time.
    So, if someone want a simple listing, he should create a new thread. >This one is now taking care off / maintained, which should have been done since day one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Christoph Bielen - Uniretro VSTi - 1.jpg

miniSoftmusik - Uniretro VSTi - 32 Bit - Windows - Free

Uniretro is a hybrid synthesizer featuring innovative sequencing and retrigger capabilities.

- 3 OSC with Sine, Sawtooth, Triangle, Square
    - 1 Filter with LP 24(A), LP18, LP12, LP24(B), BP12 and PM1, PM2, FM
    - 3 x Multi-mode oscillators with PM and FM capabilities
    - 2 x User Envelopes
    - 2 x LFO
    - 1 x Multimode filter
    - Pitch, Trigger, Hold and Modulation sequencers
    - Distortion, Decimator, Chorus and Delay effects
    - 50 Presets
    - Up to 4 Voices

Why is UniRetro among the best Free Freeware Virtual Software Synths?

It really sounds different from the masses and has an invigorating fresh sound, this sound is high quality. Among the best but not only because of the sound, but especially because of the many routing options and the 3 envelope generators, which especially supports the creativity of your own preset creations. In short, it has more possibilities to edit the sound, thereby you can really create new sounds through your own creativity.

The 50 factory presets are only to show the sound and modulation possibilities of the UniRetro. This virtual software synthesizer UniRetro is an enrichment for the existing music landscape. I hope I made you curious and maybe I could animate you to create your own presets and new sounds with it. Soundwise it is a welcome change for the ears. In the next paragraph I describe the UniRetro in detail. I had bought the big brother of the UniRetro the UniRetroPro for 40€ because it is a great instrument.

Conclusion for Quick Readers:
    + Good sound
    + many possibilities to edit the sound
    + Creative instrument
    - 32 Bit / No longer available

Notes about the UniRetro Virtual Synthesizer from me:

The UniRetro came into the world of music synthesizers at the end of 2008 and surprised with a new sound that did not exist before.
    It is made with "SynthMaker" , which makes a clearer sound compared to "SynthEdit" plugins. "SynthEdit" sounds analog warm and "SyntMaker" sounds clear and brighter.

The 3 oscillators (the sound generators) have the following to offer: Sine, Sawtooth, Triangle, Square. Each of the 3 oscillators has a Pitch, Fine, PM, FM, PS, PWM, AM and Filter/Out control. Which can even be partially selected with 10 modulation destinations.

Now to the filter section, there a surprise awaits us: LP 24(A), LP18, LP12, LP24(B), BP12 and PM1, PM2, FM. The PM1, PM2, FM can be applied to 13 targets each, you surely know this under the term "ModMarix". Also called Source and Destination, with this you can infinitely edit the sound as well as bend and control the sound.

Then come 3 ENV (Envelopes Generators in the form of an ADSR (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release).
    Next are 3 LFO's (Low Frequency Oscillators) with five ways to change the sound Sine, Ramp Up, Ramp Down and Square.
    Then a S/H Sample and Hold and a Glide function.

To round out the sound we find a distortion and a decimator that provide some dirt. The effects section (FX) offers us a delay and chorus to make the sound sound really big. Really exciting and new are the 4 lower windows, with which you can draw in everything freely with the mouse. Available are "Note", "Trigger", "Hold" and a "Modulator". With this you can really creatively create something new.

At the very end we have the inconspicuous looking "Midi" where you can assign the modwhell and other CC parameters. The parameters are Cutoff, Res, Lfo1 Speed, Ldo2 Soeed, Glide, Volume, Distortion and Decimator as well as DelayCross.

Free Download: https://mega.nz/file/D3gHlBjb#95ZusM1wj7LWQL8hd7PqKlmYdm19ABwSX8LIErc02H0

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

2022-10-30_165548.jpg

Trans Computer Maschine v2.60 beta 2 VSTi - Free

Trans Computer Maschine is a Semi-modular Vintage Lead Synthesizer + Pattern Sequencer,
    firstly modelled after two legendary synths and a custom analogue sequencer from Germany.

"Retro fetishists will be over the moon with this one-two punch of vintage voltage."
    Computer Music Special magazine (UK)

"Feast of recognition for classic synths lovers. A great plug-in where you spend hours with sweet!"
    Interface magazine (Netherlands)

"Trans Computer Maschine's proposal has captivated us."
    Future Music, Computer Music (Spain)

"Highly Recommended!"
    MyOwnMusic Review - Professional Audio magazine (Germany)

"More than just a great-sounding alternative to commercial products such as TimewARP 2600 or
    ARP2600V. Due to the step sequencer real-time capabilities, a retest is strongly recommended."
    Rated 6 / 6 - Beat magazine Germany)

The ultimate modular pattern creator !

HIGHLIGHTS

- 3 Multi-Oscillators with Sawtooth, Triangle, Saw-Triangle and variable Pulse shapes.
    - Colour adjustable Noise Generator.
    - 3 mode Ring Modulator.
    - Advanced Sample/Hold section.
    - Selectable 2/3/4-pole resonant LP Filter with auto-oscillation.
    - HP Filter with bus selection.
    - 2 exponential Envelope Generators offering 3 operation modes.
    - Unique Sequencer features like 'skip' and 'set' can be played live from MIDI keyboard.
    - Inter-patch Sequencer pattern 'Copy/Paste' feature.
    - Fully MIDI controllable.
    - Fully VST automatable.

Note from me Beat16:
    Magic sequences of Georgio Moroder, Kraftwerk or Klaus Schulze, Pink Floyd, no problem with this plugin. It sounds clear and powerful and not washed out. Just press the start button and go (is bottom right). he sounds almost like the originals. Very true to life. The corresponding sequences can be found in the presets and are marked with SQ. Especially SQ Run in the Moon and SQ Moroder Express. The video is from me, but is from 2013!

Free Download: http://cescato.altervista.org/download.htm

Cescato Musiktechnologie - Trans Computer Maschine - Plugin - Free - SoundExamples

Demo of my created soundbanks for the TCM II by Walter Cescato´s TCM II Modularsynthesizer - Emulation of the legendary ARP 2600. ALL sounds in this demo are created only with the TCM II and can be found in my created soundbanks. Played without the use of external effects.

2nd Demo of my created soundbanks for the TCM II by Walter Cescato´s TCM II Modularsynthesizer - Emulation of the legendary ARP 2600. ALL sounds in this demo are created only with the TCM II
    and can be found in my created soundbanks. Played without the use of external effects.

Download
    Kujashi Bank 1&2: https://mega.nz/file/2iwGzaJB#NxVhiVzUFDfF7KFEHNcot051AZa17KXk1X2KnCuo8E8

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Pulpo Audio - Tentacle 8 - Sample Player VSTi (64 Bit) 1,2 GB - 1.jpg

Pulpo Audio - Tentacle 8 - Sample Player / Pattern Genrator VSTi (64 Bit) 1,2 GB - Free

Tentacle Sample Player is the new PulpoAudio Instrument Plug-In.

It hosts all PulpoAudio instruments in one only VST® / AU instrument. No more several Plug-Ins (one for each instrument)
    in your VST Plug-Ins list, now it’s only Tentacle……. (which also makes it easier for us to update versions).

1.) Bongo - 48,2 MB - 2.) Cayon - 69,7 MB - 3.) Congas - 46,3 MB - 4.) Güira - 108 MB
    5.) Guiro - 8,55 MB - 6.) Pandeiro - 498 MB - 7.) Tambora - 284 MB - 8.) Timbales - 163 MB

My comment from me Beat16 to this wonderful virtual instrument: The most important thing is as always the sound, the sound is top class, very good sound quality, sounds very clean and therefore belongs in the best plugin area. A special feature is the pattern generator (picture is in the file attachment) and the style section, plus the style editor for musicians who want to make their own sounds. All around a creative instrument with which you will have a lot of fun. Rating 5 out of 5 points.

Free Download: http://pulpoaudio.pulponet.de/?page_id=115

DPinga Bongo is a set of bongo drums and a campana (hand cowbell) suitable for afro cuban & salsa music.
    - 16 Bongo sounds.
    - 10 Campana sounds.
    - Up to 8 velocity layers each.
    - 4x round robin.
    - Adjustable gain, tuning and pan per drum.
    - Adjustable envelope.
    DPinga Congas is a set of conga drums (Quinto, Conga and Tumba) suitable for afro cuban & salsa music.
    - 12 sounds for each drum (Quinto, Conga and Tumba).
    - Up to 8 velocity layers each.
    - 4x round robin.
    - Adjustable gain, tuning and pan for each drum.
    - Adjustable envelope.
    - Congas light with 15 selected sounds for easy playability.
    - Congas full including all sounds.
    D'Pinga Timbal is a set of timbales drums, cascaras and bells suitable for afro cuban and salsa music."]D'Pinga Timbal is a set of timbales drums, cascaras and bells suitable for afro cuban and salsa music.
    • 19 Timbal sounds.
    • 4 Cascara sounds.
    • 2 Mambo Bells with 4 sounds each.
    • 3 Chacha Bells with 3 sounds each.
    • 4 Cymbal sounds.
    • Woodblock.
    • Up to 8 velocity layers each.
    • 4x round robin.
    • Adjustable gain, tuning and pan for each drum/instrument.
    • Adjustable envelope.
    • Timbal light with 16 selected sounds for easy playability.
    • Timbal full including all sounds.
    D'Pinga Guiro is a Guiro as virtual instrument, suitable for afro Cuban / salsa music.
    • Guiro with 3 sounds.
    • each in 7 speeds.
    • 4 velocity layers.
    • 4x round robin.
    • Adjustable tune and envelope.
    D’Pinga Tambora is a Latin Percusssion Instrument.

- 8 patches (lo/hi tuned, long/short, reversed)
    - 42 stroke types, 6 velocity layers, 4x round robin
    - Controllable settings (vol, pan, tune,….) for stroke type groups
    - Basic set of patterns, extendable by user ( made for my needs and my liking. If you don’t like them please create you own…)
    D’Pinga Güira is a percussion instrument from the Dominican Republic used as a percussion instrument"]D’Pinga Güira is a percussion instrument from the Dominican Republic used as a percussion instrument in merengue, bachata, and to a lesser extent, other genres such as cumbia.

- 4 patches (2 Guiras, each natural and muffled)
    - 18 stroke types, 6 velocity layers, 4x round robin
    - Basic set of patterns, extendable by user ( made for my needs and my liking.

Cajón is a box-shaped percussion instrument originally from Peru, played by slapping the front or rear faces (generally thin plywood) with the hands, fingers.

- 37 stroke types, 6 velocity layers, 4x round robin
    - 2 layers (front mic / rear mic)
    - Controllable settings (vol, pan, tune,….) for stroke type groups
    - Basic set of patterns, extendable by user ( made for my needs and my liking. If you don’t like them please create you own…)
    Pandeiro is a type of hand frame drum popular in Brazil. Pandeiro is a type of hand frame drum popular in Brazil. The pandeiro is used in a number of Brazilian music forms, such as samba, choro, coco, and capoeira music.

- 25 stroke types
    - each 4x round robin and (mostly) 6 velocity layers
    - each in 4 tunings
    - most stroke types in “open” and “muted” type (by keyswitch).
    - 2 mic positions (top and bottom mic).
    - basic set of patterns ( made for my needs and my liking. If you don’t like them please create you own…)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Steinberg - VST Classic VSTi (64 Bit).jpg

Steinberg - Modell-E v2.0.0.34 VSTi (64 Bit) Free since 29th November 2011

The Model E VST Plug-In from Steinberg is modeled after the classic Moog Model D Minimoog, capable of the same fat 3-VCO monophonic bass sounds of the Mini. But because the Model E is a software plug-in you get many more advantages over the real deal. To start, you have MIDI, unlimited storage for your created sounds, super-stable tuning, a warm filter and oscillators with crisp, clear sounds.

Of course you are no longer limited to monophonic sounds, the Model E has 64 voice polyphony and 16 multitimbral parts. And the Plug-In comes at a fraction of the price and weight of a real Moog synthesizer! Cubase's MIDI tracks are routed directly to the input of Model E. outputs appear directly in the VST mixer, so effects and EQ can be applied just like any audio channel. All Model E settings are automatically saved with your song files and the final mix can be streamed out to an audio file.

But among all these new features the look and basic design concept remains true to the original Minimoog. Three oscillators per voice, a great 24dB filter with ADS and no LFO. And its sounds are just as authentic. Being digital, it's expected that they should lack some of the 'oomph' of an analog Minimoog. But they impressively cover the gamut of Minimoog bass sounds.

From low heavy bass to nasal whistle-y sounds from HipHop and R&B to Techno. Other features include Mono-Mode and a Glide or portamento type effect. Up to 8 Model E's can independently be used as VST Instruments in a song.. it's like having 8 Minimoogs at your fingertips! At its low price, getting the Model E plug-in is a no-brainer for any Cubase VST user who has ever dreamed of using the Minimoog. It is used by Hans Zimmer.

Features:

- 3 Oscillators & Noise generator.
    - 6 Waveforms per oscillator.
    - 32' - 2' range.
    - 2 Envelope generators.
    - 2 & 4-pole LPFs.
    - Filter modulation & key tracking.
    - Glide.
    - Mono mode.
    - Assignable velocity routing.
    - Stereo spread and Pan controls.
    - 16 part multi-timbral.
    - 64 voice polyphonic.
    - 8 outputs.
    - 128 memories.

Steinberg Model E - SoundOnSound Review

The Minimoog Model D is probably the most famous and influential synth ever designed. With its three oscillators, fat filter, fast envelopes, and versatile routing (for its time, anyway), it set the standard for compact, prepatched synth design. Steinberg's virtual copy employs the same routing and adds polyphonic capability and MIDI support. The VCO section contains three oscillators, each switchable over six octaves and providing a choice of six waveforms. Oscillators 1 and 2 have triangle, triangle/sawtooth mix, sawtooth, and three widths of pulse wave from square to narrow rectangular, while Oscillator 3 swaps the triangle/sawtooth for reverse sawtooth. Oscillators 2 and 3 also have fine frequency controls over a range of ± seven semitones.

All three oscillators, along with a choice of white or pink noise, can be combined in the Mix section using virtual slider controls (a departure from the rotaries of the original). However, the external input of the original has gone, so sadly you can't route other audio tracks through the filter stage, or feed the output of the synth back into the mixer for those overdriven guitar‑like solos.

The output of the mixer is fed into the filter, which has Cutoff (frequency) and Emphasis ('Q' or resonance) knobs, and an Amount control to modulate the filter frequency via an ADS envelope generator. Unlike the original Minimoog, the filter can be switched between the classic 4‑pole type and an alternative 2‑pole mode. The 4‑pole mode sounds fatter as it adds subtle distortion, and will self‑oscillate if the resonance is set high enough, while the 2‑pole mode sounds grittier and more 'digital', but takes less processor overhead. As in the original design, there are two additional switches to add 1/3, 2/3, or full keyboard tracking of the filter frequency. When self‑oscillating, the filter remains perfectly in tune with the other oscillators, and can provide a 'fourth oscillator' when required.

The filter output is fed into the Amplifier, which again has an ADS envelope, but with an added 'Release On' switch that allows the envelope to slowly die away at the same rate as its Decay setting once the note is released.
    In the left‑hand section of the panel are overall Tune and Glide controls, along with various knobs and switches for modulation. The 'Osc 3' button removes Oscillator 3 from MIDI key control to provide a fixed‑frequency sound source, either for drones or, with its Mix slider turned down, for use as a modulation source for both filter frequency and the other oscillators — as on the original, there are no dedicated LFOs. The Modulation Mix control lets you alter the balance of Oscillator 3 and noise, and you can control the overall amount externally using the modulation wheel found on most MIDI keyboards. With these few controls you can create vibrato, wah‑wah and growls, as well as chiffy and breathy sounds.

And There's More

So far, apart from a few controls like Filter Type, the design is largely the same as the original. However, using the controls spread across the bottom panel strip (see page 104), each Model E you launch can run up to 64 voices spread across 16 MIDI channels and four stereo outputs. From left to right are a 16‑LED display showing MIDI activity on each of the 16 available MIDI channels, and then a Channel selector switch to show the current front‑panel settings for each MIDI channel. Next is an Output selector switch to route the currently displayed program to one of the four available stereo outputs; these are automatically added to the Channel Mixer when you activate a Model E synth, and can be seen in the main screenshot opposite.

The Program selector switch lets you choose any of the current 128 presets. You can also use MIDI Program Change commands, or click on the 7‑segment display alongside that launches a large scrolling list of available presets. The current preset name is displayed on the panel, with Copy, Paste, and Compare buttons above it to help manage your sound banks.

Beyond these controls are two rotary knobs to add variable keyboard velocity sensitivity to the filter frequency and amplifier level, and three more knobs for the output. Panorama sets the position between left and right speakers, Spread adds a random pan offset to this, and Volume sets the overall level (which is also adjustable by MIDI volume). Of these three, only Spread is saved with each program. Finally, the Voices selector switch lets you choose the maximum number of voices available, up to a maximum of 64 (processor power permitting of course). You can override this at any time using the Mono switch on the main synth panel to revert to monophonic output.

Using Model E

Sounds can be loaded and saved in banks of 128 presets, and flicking through the five supplied sound banks demonstrated that Model E is certainly versatile. There are plenty of soaring lead sounds, solid basses, soft string pads, and percussive organs. A few to audition are the polyphonic glides of 'Moogstyle' (program 10 of Steinberg bank 1), the chord‑on‑a‑note 'Autobahn' (program 36 of Steinberg bank 1), and the classic synth‑brass of 'Mini Horn' (program 58 of the Hubertus Maas bank).

However, I found many of the supplied sounds disappointing. A fair few novelty effects are thrown in, and none of the banks contained the full 128 sounds (one of the two Steinberg banks only has 32!). However, I changed my mind about Model E once I started to program some of my own sounds: the 4‑pole filter has a rich, natural and above all musical sound, with a lovely controlled resonance, while the 2‑pole version sounds more electronic, making it more suitable for 'digital' sounds, but is definitely the poor relative. The envelopes can also be extremely fast when required (I measured an attack time of under 1mS), making Model E ideal for basses and plucked sounds. The addition of velocity control adds a lot to its expressive powers, and the overall sound is warm and smooth.

Overall, Model E is impressive, despite my reservations about its mouse‑control system (see the 'Mouse Matters' box) and I expect it will sell in large quantities. It will appeal to those who want rich, traditional analogue sounds with the power of three oscillators. I don't expect a glut of Minimoogs to suddenly appear second‑hand as a result, but if you want a taste of the real thing at a much cheaper price you should definitely give this a try.

www.soundonsound.com/reviews/steinberg-model-e-pro-five
    Note from me BEAT16: I have heard many plugins, but the sound of the Model-E is outstandingly good.
    Despite its age, it still cuts a fine figure. The programmers have made a good sounding virtual synthesizer that can still hold its own against the competition. With a compressor FX and some reverb FX you fall in love with the sound. My rating 5 out of 5 points.

Free Download: https://o.steinberg.net/index.php?id=6249&L=1

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. BagelShaggerz

Lets face it, that Steinberg Model-E is so old it makes the wrinkle in my nippple tit feel ancient. I used to use this plugin all the time, back then I was like "oh no way, they dun moog'd" but now they have so many moog emulations that people are calling in sick of 'em. I could never in a million years see that coming back when we litterally had no other choice but to use the couple of bois that made the noise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

StudioLinked - Drum Pro VSTi (64 Bit).jpg

StudioLinked - Drum Pro VSTi (64 Bit) Free

"Drum Pro comes with 20 drum kits and the sounds of 9 vintage rhythm boxes (including TR-808 and TR-909).

Each element is assigned to a virtual pad controlled externally by your MIDI keyboard or drum pad, and has separate
    volume and pan settings. You can also adjust attack, decay, sustain, release, and overall volume, and reverb is built in.

Drum Pro is free, you can complete the then audio collection with payment for expansion packs, but you already
    have enough to spend a good time. Drum Pro is a plug-in for VST and AU for Windows and Mac OS X 32 and 64 bit "

My note: Really great plugin, not only looks great but the samples all sound very good. 5 out of 5 points.

Free Download: www.studiolinked.com/drum-pro/

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List