Best Free Software for Making Music

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oysters, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Midi Mouze

Midi Mouze Member

@Mundano what's with the images? I have to read up on my Dutch I guess :winker:

2. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

sorry guys, i didn't realise it was showing weird! I fixed it! Thanks for noticing it. Cheers

3. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

just a reminder. actually today we have free tools that for some years (20 or so) we had to pay huge amounts of money. I was sequencing with an old Roland Sequencer at these years (end 80's and 90's) and delivering music-product out of my Tascam multitrack portastudio... PLEASE don't limit your self with excuses, make music now with what you have at your disposal. Most of these FREE tools are really professional if you know how to work with them. With the time and patience you will have opportunity to financially SUPPORT software development. One gig take you to the other one. Example: in this spring i have composed the music for a short artistic film, showing in 2 alternative festivals. I made it with ONLY free software. This work lead me to the another one, now am designing sound for an exposition... with mostly free software. The first job gave me some bucks to buy some important plugins. And so on... snowball. Don't stop your self. Good night!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

almost for FREE
    https://forum.musictri.be/showthrea...es-sound-grid-wave-multi-rack-for-VST-plugins

[​IMG]
    Steve Pritchard
    [​IMG]
    creative alternative to Waves sound grid / wave multi rack for VST plugins.
    HI,
    Was looking for a way to be able to add external effects and such to our X32 Compact. Main reason was i wanted to be able to use the Multi band compressor that is only available on effects racks 1-4 as channel inserts. But to do that i had to give up the ability to run my reverb and delays and the other effects that run on buss's 13,14,15,16. I was considering the Waves sound grid solution for X32 that runs about 1500.00 ( Sound grid server, waves sound grid card for X32 and waves multi rack software) or for about 500 i could get waves multi rack native using the X-USB card that was already installed. But the issue with this is I also run a wireless net work and run the board via a laptop and X32Edit.. so the X32 stays up by the stage and the Lap top sits FOH. So to get from the X-USB card to the Laptop at FOH would require a long USB run, and also I didn't want to run waves multi and X32 edit on the same laptop ( my laptops are older so didn't want to load them down with processing) Came up with what i think is a creative solution that just requires a couple older laptops and a Second display on the FOH lap top..

Here is what we did.
    1) XLR inputs 1-16 are tied to cahnnels / faders 1-16 ( standard)
    2) Aux in Remap is set to Auxin and then Aux in's 1-6 are tied to faders 17 ~22 for 6 additional inputs. For a total of 22 input points ( I use these for things like keys, or other direct type inputs.
    3) I moved USB L/R from AUX faders 7/8 to faders 23/24
    4) We set up the card to 16 in x 16 out
    5) We set up effects racks 1~4 to be used as inserts so they are no longer tied so busses 13~16
    6) I set up mix buss's 9 ~ 16 to output to card out 1 ~ 8 ( only actually need buss 11~16 for external effects, but have to assign in groups of 8 , so by default, 9 and 10 get attached to card outs, but they are also assigned to Aux outs for monitors. So really only using card outs 3 ~ 8
    7) routed card in 1~16 to inputs sources 17~32
    8) Set fader channels 29-32 sources to card in 1~4 then Aux faders 1-8 source to card in 5~12 then I stereo linked them 29/30 31/32 Aux1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8 and renamed these pairs FX1 ~ FX6 returns. ( stereo pairs)
    8) Named mix bux 11 ~ 16 as FX 1 ~ FX6 ( outs)

This completed the routing..
    Then I found a great program called Live Proffesor 2 This is a program the basically works the same as waves multi rack and can run most VST type plugins just like waves multi rack
    In that program I created 6 racks.. and routed Fx 1 ( card output 3) into rack 1 and then returned back to the X32 thru card ins 1/2 Then Rack 2 gets sent card out 4 and returns card in 3/4 and so on.. So 6 mono inputs, and 6 stereo outputs back to the board . I run this on Laptop 1 which sits next to the board up on stage and is connected to the board vis X-USB, but also is connected to my wireless nextwork..

Then I set up Laptop 2 out at FOH.. It connects to the X32 thru the wireless network like normal, but also on both laptops I run a program called Team Viewer 13.. This is where it gets cool. Team viewer 13 is a program which allows remote control and screen view of another computer Because Laptop 1 and Laptop 2 are both on the wireless net work.. I set up Lap top 2 to remote control laptop 1. using this Team View.. and then put that view on my extended display.. SO.. In the end i have
    1) a dedicated laptop running only effects and vsts using Live professor connected via X USB
    2) FOH pc connected wireless running X32 Edit for control and running Team View 13 to also give me wireless control over the effects lap top so i can remotely manipulate the effects on it. ( tap tempo and change delays and settings ect)
    3) 6 effects sends with 12 stereo returns.. via Xusb and Live professor
    4) frees up effects racks 1-4 in X32 to be used as inserts on channels of my choice ( I run 4 instances of the Dual Multi band compressor which gives me 8 total insertable effects ..
    pretty cool .. ?? total cost to do this.. for me 60$ which is the cost of the Live Professor software. ( I had a couple old laptops and display) VSt's can be found on line for free or of course bought, and ended up with something similar to waves sound grid..

5. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/

surely you are aware of this:

[​IMG]
    Let's all become something.

MORE

SOFT PIANO
    [​IMG]GET

OUR TIME - HOMAY SCHMITZ

Recorded at Air Edel Studios, this sound has become a favourite of music makers across the globe. The soft tone is achieved by placing a thin strip of felt between the hammers and the strings.

STRINGS
    [​IMG]GET

LIGHTS - OLIVER PATRICE WEDER

Fourteen of London's best string players, recorded at Spitfire HQ by wise-beyond-his-years Harry Wilson. This ensemble was captured using a wide range of microphones including a vintage BBC AXB1. It's awesome.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    click here
    GETTING STARTED
    click here

6. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

https://www.igorski.nl/download/regrader--degenerative-delay-processor

Regrader - degenerative delay processor

[​IMG]

A VST effects plugin.

Regrader provides a delay effect in which the repeats degrade in various ways to provide a malevolent twist on the ears.

Echoes disintegrate, are decimated, piercingly oscillate and are finally mangled into a sound reminiscent of a jet engine processing gravel. Each of the modules within Regrader have different routing possibilities to finely tune your carefully sculpted noise. Think industrial or dark sound design to find a purpose for the plugin.

The delays repeats can be synced to the hosts tempo and time signature, and all properties of Regrader can be controlled and automated.

The archive contains VST2.4 and VST3.0 plugins for both macOS (10.10/Yosemite and higher) and Windows 10. Linux packages are currently not provided, though you can build from source. Installation instructions are provided inside the archive's README file.

Download file (9.37Mb)

7. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

https://www.flstudiomusic.com/2016/10/free-shaker-sample-pack-elphnt.html

Free shaker sample pack by Elphnt (+ free drones & noises and tons of other samples)

[​IMG]
    By Stephen Rich| October 24th, 2016|Free Sample Packs
    Elphnt has announced the release of Shake, a free shaker sample pack featuring loops and one-shots in high quality AIFF audio format.

Labeled “Shake – Loops & Samples of Things You Shake”, it brings a total of 95 shaker and tambourine loops and samples. The author has been slowly building up a collection of different shakers he uses in his own music and decided to share it with others. All the samples are recorded by Elphnt in his personal studio, not chopped or derived from other sounds.

There are 3 different types of shakers and 1 tambourine. The free shaker sample pack contains also several one-shot samples of each shaker so you can create your own patterns. The loops are an easy-to-use solution when you want to start a groove from somewhere. They’re recorded at 100 and 120 BPM, but with the time-stretch function from FL Studio, you can use them at close tempos too.

Audio demo of Shake – free shaker sample pack:

I recommend you to take also a look at Free Drones & Noises Sample Pack, another fresh release of Elphnt (October 11), featuring 35 drone and noise samples totalling 35 minutes of recordings. Demo available here.

But that’s not all. On Elphnt’s cool website there are also another three free packs with Roland TR-707, Drumcomputer MFB 522 and Roland SH-101 samples.

Shake is divided into two folders containing 48 loops, respectively 47 one-shot samples. In depth, you will get 12 hi seed shaker loops, 12 low seed shaker loops and another 12 mid seed shaker loops, plus 12 tambourine loops. The one-shot folder has 38 shaker samples (13 hi, 12 low and 13 mid seed) and 9 tambourine samples.

The free shaker sample pack is available via Gumroad on a pay-what-you-want pricing system. There’s no minimum price, so if you want to get it for free, simply insert “0” in the price field. On the next page, you will be prompted to insert your email address to receive the download links. If you like the samples and want to see more from this author, please consider making a small contribution (instead of “0” put any amount). Download size is 84MB compressed ZIP file.

More info:
    Shake free sample pack by Elphnt

8. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

i couldn't work with it. The output was terrible loud. Some one could give an advice?

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Loops and samples of things you shake??? Well... [​IMG]

10. No Avenger

But I really have to say, man (woman?) you are crazy (only in a good way, of course)! Are you doing anything else than providing us with links to free ware???
    :thanks:, :thanks:, :thanks:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  11. I haven't installed it yet.

12. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

i have read it has to do with Reaper. Maybe on other DAWs it works ok...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

https://www.forward-audio.de/sampledelay/

faSampleDelay

[​IMG]
    PRICE
    $0*
    Register

*you will need to enter your email and name to get a free license

Register for Download
    faSampleDelay will be your new favourite sample delay Plugin with an unrivaled intuitive GUI. You need a versatile and reliable tool for small phase alignment tasks in your guitar or drum recording? This is the ultimate choice.

But the best is yet to come: This Plugin is completely free! All you need to do is to register via your name and email and we will send you the download links and a license file via mail.

And if you need an even more powerful and professional phase alignment tool you should probably check out faSampleDelays big brother: faTimeAlign.

Features
    • Sample accurate time delay up to 100.000 Samples / approximately 2 seconds @ 48 kHz
    • Fully scalable GUI
    • A/B comparisons
    • 4 different input units (ms, foot, meter & Samples)
    • Intuitive delay knob with adjustable min and max values for narrow delay spans
    • Samplerate linkable to time delay
    • CPU saving algorithm
    • Supports Samplerates between 44.100 – 192.000 Hz

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. What a great educational video!! It covers all the bases. I highly reccomend it to people who both have an understanding and those that do not as yet. There are fantastic visual and audio examples that can easily be understood and can be retold to others if need be.

And, the free time shifting tool is wonderful too. When amping my acoustics I try to be as perfect as can be but there is always phasing issues which drive me crazy, and physically moving tracks is a pain. This is free and easy. I will possibly buy their paid version in the future.

15. No Avenger

You just need to calculate the delay in ms based on sonic speed and the different mic distances. That's in principle what this plug does. So, it should not be a problem with any other delay or with moving a track or am I missing something?

16. You aren"t missing anything...but my sometime simpleton way.

17. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

but on a rush in studio nobody is messing exactly with millimetre accuracy (shaking hands) :guru: ... the plugin faSampleDelay plugin can be a great aid :winker:

18. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

https://www.musicradar.com/news/sampleradar-271-free-malfunctioning-synth-samples

SampleRadar: 271 free malfunctioning synth samples

By The MusicRadar team a day agoTech

Sounds that are so wrong they're right

[​IMG]

It's easy to lose hours programming that perfect synth patch, but sonic fails can sometimes be turned into big wins.

This collection of malfunctioning synth sounds includes random and glitched noises that can still be creatively useful, so download them and start exploring.

What you need to know
    The malfunctioning synth samples are divided into four folders, each of which is named to give an indication of the sounds contained within it.

All the samples are supplied as WAV files so can be imported directly into your DAW or sampler of choice. Because they're royalty-free, you're welcome to use the samples in your music in any way you like - all we ask is that you don't re-distribute them.

The malfunctioning synth samples are supplied in a zip file, so you'll need to extract them before you can see them. Enjoy!

Example sounds
    Malfunctioning synth samples: click to download

Malfunctioning synth samples (323MB)

These samples originally appeared on Computer Music magazine's cover DVD. Check out the latest issue for many more.

19. That's what I was getting at...:wink:

20. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

http://www.bigtickaudio.com/zen/about-zen

[​IMG]

Zen is a universal presets manager.
    [​IMG]It loads in any host as a vsti, and acts as a loader for other vstis. So with Zen, you can search for “Rhodes piano” and get a list of all matching presets – regardless of the final vsti (Rhino, Zebra, Absynth… whatever). When you select one of the presets in Zen, the corresponding vsti is automatically loaded to play the requested preset.

Most popular vstis are supported, and new ones are added daily. Eventually Zen aims to categorize all available presets, for all vstis.

Zen is online.
    Zen constantly synchronizes his own local database of presets with a master online database hosted at www.bigtickaudio.com – users get new presets daily, delivered right into their sequencer, already categorized.

Zen works following a social model, where the online database is constantly updated by the users themselves.

Zen for commercial presets designers
    Commercial presets designers can use Zen to send demo version of their presets to all potential customers.
    Users can preview the presets in Zen, directly in the context of their track, and buy the presets they like with just one click. Presets can be bought individually, as opposed to purchasing a full bank of presets.

Zen is free
    Yes. I am giving it for free.

If you are a Vsti developer and want to integrate it into your products – please contact me.

DOWNLOADS
    • Zen 1.7.1 Universal preset manager for VST – 32/64 bits, VST/Standalone
      Run this installer to install (or update to) the latest version.
    • Zen 1.7.2 beta1 Universal preset manager for VST – 32/64 bits, VST/Standalone
      Run this installer to install (or update to) the latest version.
    • Zen 1.7.1 Universal preset manager for VST – 32/64 bits, VST/AU/Standalone
      This version requires Intel-based Mac computer with Mac OS X v. 10.6 or later. Use this installer to install (or update to) the latest version.
    • Zen 1.7.2 beta1 Universal preset manager for VST – 32/64 bits, VST/AU/Standalone
      This version requires Intel-based Mac computer with Mac OS X v. 10.6 or later. Use this installer to install (or update to) the latest version.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List