Best Free Software for Making Music

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oysters, Nov 4, 2014.

1. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

2. ehrwaldt kunzlich

ehrwaldt kunzlich Rock Star

oh yes, smartelectronix. many really nice plugins...
    most of them are in my 32bit graveyard folder tho.

while we're at smartelectronix, i also always liked taurus and foorius.
    and i dunno if it was already mentioned in this thread but s(m)exoscope was recently ported to 64bit.

it's here: http://armandomontanez.com/smexoscope/

3. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

I'm not an Apple person but plenty of friend's, people that I have and some that I still do work with along with when I'm for example doing something where I rent at a proper studio such as tracking a full, multi-mic'd acoustic drum kit as I haven't the space to do such at my home setup I become an Apple person. I've not used the plugins extensively but I did like quite a few of them, I was fumbling around earlier and happened upon the AirWindows audio processing and effect plug-ins webpage only to see that many are now available in VST format on Windows which was really cool, Then just because I like quality freeware as much as commercial licensed software, I checked out what Chris has for gratis, It turns out quite a damned a lot, In case you hadn't heard already then have fun/fill your boots good people http://www.airwindows.com/category/free/
    Hope that is useful to others, I can't name just a few as there are many, The best way is to checkout the video('s) that are on each plugin page to get a good idea. I'm still envious of Five12 Numerology along with the way it is so simple to route audio and MIDI between applications on MAC OSX plus the aggregating of devices, However it isn't enough to pull me over or to go for a Hackintosh system for those few mentioned reasons.

All the best to all as always :wink:

Dean

4. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

6. ehrwaldt kunzlich

ehrwaldt kunzlich Rock Star

i picked this up from another thread:
    Sonic Anomaly has some nice plugins worth a look.

and a lot lot more...

7. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

What about this?

http://non.tuxfamily.org/

[​IMG]

Non reinvents the DAW.
    Powerful enough to form a complete studio, fast and light enough to run on low-end hardware like the eeePC or Raspberry Pi, and so responsive and reliable that it can be used live, the Non DAW Studio is a modular system composed of four main parts: Non Timeline, a non-destructive, non-linear audio recorder and arranger. Non Mixer, a live mixer with effects plugin hosting and advanced Ambisonics spatialization control. Non Sequencer, a live, pattern based MIDI sequencer, and finally, the Non Session Manager to tie together these applications and more into cohesive song-level units.

Non is the result of one man's desire to build a complete free-software Digital Audio Workstation on GNU/Linux that really works--on accessible hardware.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Copyright 2007-2013 Jonathan Moore Liles

(locked)

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License

8. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

and this OPEN SOURCE FRAMEWORK FOR SAMPLED INSTRUMENTS:
    http://hise.audio/index.php

HISE
    [​IMG]
    Features
    Sampler
    [​IMG]

Fast streaming engine optimized for SSD drives.

Native multimic handling with purging of channels.

Sample start modulation, dynamic crossfade modulation.

Hotswap samples for different instruments

Scripting
    [​IMG]
    Customized and real time safe Javascript Engine.

Advanced IDE features (Breakpoints, Autocomplete, Live watch, REPL).

Create custom interface elements with the powerful Graphics API.

Build interfaces with a drag 'n drop editor.

Modulators
    [​IMG]
    Flexible modulation architecture with nested modulation.

LFOs, Envelopes & MIDI modulators.

Global Modulator System for multiple modulation targets.

Create custom modulators with scripting.

Audio FX
    [​IMG]
    Filters, reverbs, effects & fast convolution engine.

Internal multichannel system with send FX.

Extendable via C++ API.

Dynamically add / remove effects via scripting.

9. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Wavesfactory SK10 Subkick Generator

[​IMG]

SK10
    is (hopefully by the time you’re reading this) available for free download via Wavesfactory SK10 (32-bit & 64-bit VST/AU/AAX plugin format for Windows & Mac OS).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  10. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

Couple of new freebies here:
    9000-British Series Channel Strip and a simple compressor

https://smacklabs.wordpress.com/

They are 32bit Windows only for now.

11. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

For now free

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix/neutrino.html

[​IMG]
    GET IT FREE

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Neutrino

Add that final polish to your mix with Neutrino, a free spectral shaping plug-in based on the new mixing technology featured in Neutron. Insert Neutrino on multiple tracks across your session to reveal a subtle amount of detail that can help elevate great mixes to a new level of refinement.

See system requirements GET IT FREE
    A smarter way to mix is now available! Learn more about iZotope’s Neutron mixing plug-in.

[​IMG]
    FOUR MODES OF NEUTRINO
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Add clarity and detail
    that helps vocals sit on top of
    the mix without becoming
    harsh or strident.

Smooth resonances while preserving the authentic character of the instrument.

Add punch and weight
    to electric, acoustic,
    and synth basses.

Emphasize transient detail across the spectrum to minimize “muddy” or “flabby” sounds.

Learn More About Neutrino
    Neutrino is ultra efficient and designed to add balance and focus to a mix when applied to every track, conceptually similar to analog summing or console emulations. With simple controls and low-CPU usage, you can achieve better balanced mixes without sacrificing dynamics and sonic integrity. Best of all, it's free to download, and easy to use.

• [​IMG]
        Spectral Shaping
        Learn more about spectral shaping

READ MORE
      • [​IMG]
        Neutron
        Learn about our newest mixing plug-in

LEARN MORE

[​IMG]
    Learn how to get started with Neutrino

READ MORE
    Get Support

12. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

Reaper Template

http://store.storyteller.im/product/a-storyteller-multi-tempo-reaper-project/

A Storyteller Multi-Tempo Reaper Project
    Free!

A Reaper project demonstration of using two separate tempos in a project simultaneously.

Categories: Reaper Project Demo Freebies, Software
    Product Description
    This project was created as a demonstration for users searching out how to create a project using two separate tempos simultaneously in a track. This is distinctly different than having a project that changes two tempos over the course of the song. This project allows both tempos to play back simultaneously – like a DJ would do when aligning two tempos between different songs. In this demonstration project, you will find 2 separate subprojects with different tempos – each with 32 stereo channels of audio (64 total channels). There is also a master project included that includes both subprojects and also has the audio from the subprojects routed as separate tracks for mixing.

To use this project, simply click on the Master Project file included in the zip file. Once loaded, you can open the separate subprojects by simply clicking on the rendered audio clip of each respective subproject. This will open a new tab in Reaper.

Please note that Reaper 5.x is required for use.

13. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

Now for free

https://www.izotope.com/en/products...ium=Retargeting&utm_campaign=2017.02+Vinyl+FB
    GET IT FREE

Vinyl
    The return of the ultimate lo-fi weapon
    Back just in time for its 15th anniversary, Vinyl is a plug-in that lets you simulate the dust, scratches, and warp of a worn record and the electrical and mechanical noise of the turntable it’s on. Give fresh recordings and instrument tracks the dirty, dusty feel of an earlier decade. Apply Vinyl to any source audio to make it sound as if it’s being played from a record and dial in exactly the right character to suit your tune. Plus, it’s now updated to 64-bit!

See all the system requirements

Get the new version of Vinyl now, for free.

Want even more power to trash and mangle your tracks?
    Check out Trash 2, our distortion and convolution plug-in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Key Features
    • Warp: Choose the amount of warping and the warp shape for the record—from no warp to totally melted and warped edges.
    • Dust: Simulates the amount of dust that has settled on the surface of the record.
    • Year: Models record players from different decades using filter responses.
    • Wear: Simulates the effect of a record that's been played too many times, from brand new to a few thousand spins.
    • Mechanical Noise: Adds turntable rumble and motor noise.
    • Spin Down: Simulate the sound of slowly stopping playback of a record, modulating both playback speed and frequency.
    Vinyl
    [​IMG]
    What makes Vinyl unique?
    Go beyond a straight emulation of the basic characteristics of aged vinyl for full customization of all of the artifacts of a vinyl listening experience. Dial in as much or as little of each of those elements as you need — add only an old hissy noise floor or just crackle, clicks, and pops. It’s up to you, and you get the flexibility with Vinyl’s digital emulation to introduce exactly the right combination.

Hear how Vinyl sounds

[​IMG]
    Use Vinyl musically or as an effect
    To get the full vinyl experience, add a little bit of each of the artifacts that give vinyl its characteristic sound. With Vinyl’s digital emulation of the real thing, you can dial in as much or as little as you want for a level of flexibility that’s impossible with hardware. Get an old radio sound that’s still musically accurate by adding hiss, crackle, and saturation without adding warble to it. Or, add just a warble effect without introducing a high noise floor. Vinyl allows you to be selective about what lo-fi elements you want to add to your mix.

[​IMG]
    The best lo-fi sound for any situation
    The lo-fi sound of Vinyl can be used to create a section of your mix that sounds like it’s from a different era. It’s useful both in music production and in audio for film or television. Treat the audio for your picture to make it sound as if it’s coming from an authentic on screen old-fashioned source. In a musical context, use Vinyl to shape your mix, to create an effective counterpoint that plays against another huge or wide section of your arrangement.

Listen to the sounds of Vinyl

Get Support
    Have questions? Browse our educational materials online.

CONTACT SUPPORT
    Testimonial
    [​IMG]
    “Vinyl has become the ultimate lo-fi tool for adding character to tracks. I’ve used it on projects for The Strokes, The Shins, My Morning Jacket, and Morrissey. I’ve used it on acoustic guitar, strings, and drums. My favorite is the year control — I loved dialing an orchestral string sound back to the 1930s.”

Joe Chiccarelli

Producer
    The Strokes, The Killers, My Morning Jacket, Jason Mraz, Morrissey

ARTIST STORIES

14. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

http://www.wildfrontear.co.uk/standalones.html

Standalones
    Spig is a small but useful utility that enables you to do 3 things:
    1. Play whatever is currently going to Sound Manager (or from QuickTime) through your sound card (Digi 001 etc.)
    2. Record the above directly to your hard drive.
    3. Play audio CD's (and record them) via a digital connection to your sound card.
    This means that amongst other things, you can use older audio software which has no ASIO support, monitor it through your 001 (or whatever) and record the output to disc. You can play QuickTime movies through your sound card, and for the less scrupulous of you, you can also record from record-disabled demo's and Real Audio streams.

VSTi shell allows you to use VST compatible soft synths without having to open Cubase etc. The main benefit of this is that it allows you to use VST instruments in Pro Tools . The latest version also includes it's own arpeggiator..

MultiVST Shell is a four-part multitimbral version of the above, with a number of other improvements, such as assignable midi input and audio output and a 4 way matrix of VST plug-ins. The latest version also sports a built-in arpeggiator and external input. OS X version here.
    Seq16 is back as a standalone application. Seq16 is a versatile 16 step sequencer and arpeggiator, that can be used to create midi sequences or to drive any of my softsynths (Spectrum, Ephemeris & PolyIII, so far). This version does much more than previous versions and does it all in one window. It also contains a single VSTi slot, so it can be used to drive a VST compatible soft synth/sampler/drum machine directly.
    Arpeg is the arpeggiator bit of Seq16 with a few improvements. It can also be used to play any of my standalone soft synths. .
    Elephoids (previously LFOids) will shortly be making an appearence here. Elephoids is my attempt at algorithmic composition; it makes music by simply counting in a number of different ways and combining the results. It can actually produce music that is pleasant to listen to, (but it can do nasty too, if that's your bag). The background music on this page was created with an old version of Elephoids - this one is much more sophisticated.
    Spectrum, PolyIII and Ephemeris will also be available a standalones. and collectives.
    Drum16 is a 6 voice, 16 step drum machine with a host of groovy features, including:

• 2 state variable filters, with envelope following
    • pitch modulation of voices and filters
    • delay and comb filter
    • 2 VSTplug-in slots
    • variable speed roll
    • individual randomisation of each voice
    • groove & accent
    • bassline generator
    • built-in percussion synth/sampler
      The output of Drum16 can be recorded to disc or output into Pro Tools. Download the drum samples used in the example presets here. Dowload example synth sounds (used in presets 19 & 20) here.

[​IMG]

15. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

http://www.wildfrontear.co.uk/plugs.html

Pluggo's
    '19', a simple digital stutterer, for spooling simulation, sampler tomfoolery & glitchification

.The Mods (beta) are a modular fx plug-in and a modulator plug-in designed to work together and to eventually supercede the Mr.Mods plugs

Freeverb Pluggo. A wrapper for Olaf Mathes Freeverb~ object, with added gating functions

Rezdelay (beta) - it delays, it resonates, it blows up; use with care.

GateDelay a delay line with gates in the feedback path.

The first two of the new Mr.Mods are here; introducing, Mr.Shifter and Mr.Comber....

And in order to make them work under RTAS, if you are using the Free Runtime Pluggo, you will need this little RTASplugsyncer plug.

Curver. a bouncing delay - sort of..(with thanks to Richard Dudas for the curve part).

Poly IV is an emulation of the Korg Poly 800 mk,II. This version uses the new non-aliasing oscillators from Max 4.5 and now supports full parameter automation. Requires Pluggo Runtime v. 3.2.2

2D Panner is, er a 2D panning/tremelo plug - it has a nice 'scope for viewing the pretty lissajou's figures too.

[​IMG]

Old Versions (Pluggo 2 for macOS 8 ->)
    NOTE - third party objects. Many of the plugs use third party objects which are not included in the standard Max/MSP library for Pluggo; if you get an error message saying that Pluggo cannot find a certain object, you need to locate the object(s) and copy it to your 'externals' folder.I have attempted to catalogue all the third party objects I have used and make them available here (most of them are also included with the latest version of the Mr. Mods). For any I may have missed, the best place to start a search is cycling74's resource guide. A good clue as to who makes what object will be found in the 'with thanks to' section at the end of any 'read Me' files, and/or in the messages window of the plugs themselves

The Mr.Modulators are seven audio plugs that do filtering,pitch-shifting, ring modulation, comb filtering, resonation, time-stretching and delay effects. They use a common interface that contains two envelopes and two step modulators ('stepulators') which are automatically synced to the host to enable you to create continuously variable or discrete modulations; You can make some very interesting noises with these.

Hi Rez is a four part resonator module that can be used on it's own or controlled via midi. It's a bit like the resonator effect on the Quadraverb Plus and it can be used to do nasty things to drum loops or make sort-of vocoder effects.

Midigate is an audio gate which is triggered by midi note-on/off events; use it to create classic dance cliches such as 'The Chopped-up Vocal', 'The Rythmic String Pad' etc.

Boom-Shakka is a three part percussion synth; it makes nasty industrial noises, either via midi or triggered by Drum16......

Loafer is a midi LFO (low frequency oscillator) which enables you to create repeating patterns of midi controller data for panning effects, filter sweeps, volume fades etc. etc.; this version also does things with aftertouch & pitchbend, and can also be used to modulate other Pluggo plug-in parameters..

Drum16 is a six-part drum machine which allows you to make drum patterns in the old simple intuitive way. It has it's own delay line and filters, and the samples can be tuned, reversed, panned etc.to make some pretty interesting drum patterns. The drum sounds can also be plyed via midi, so you can just use it as a drum sampler.The new version also allows pich modulation of the drum samples.

Beat16, is a midi version of Drum16, ie. a midi drum sequencer.

Seq16 is a sequencer within a sequencer! It's a 16 step sequencer which emulates to old analogue sequencers and includes the ability to modulate midi controllers.If you make dance music, you'll find this a useful tool. Sadly, due to the way Pluggo/Cubase works, a couple of the original Max Seq16's best features for real-time doodling (the Key and Arpeggiator modes) cannot be implemented, as yet, but the rest of it works just dandy. There is also a non-Pluggo version available which works well with softsynths like Absynth; because it's not dependant on a host sequencer, it can do the full-blown arpeggiator stuff.

Boogaloopa creates wacky rhythmic loops from just about any kind of sample; it's a great composition tool if you like your music on the wild side....

Spectrum, 'analogue' monosynth extraordinaire; new documentation available and a number of performance improvements; it should also sound a lot more 'analogue' now. If you like modulation, you'll love this....It has it's own arpeggiator and can be used to process audio files too.

S3 is a Sixteen Step Sequencer with a Sample player and Synth; a kind of one-part Drum16 with a bit of a Rebirth tacked on (no docs yet).

Poly III is an emulation of the Korg Poly 800 II; sorry there's no docs yet, but it's pretty straightforward, and it makes some lovely noises, just hit the presets and play...(warning; a bit CPU intensive, this one; G4 reccomended) Note: a Pluggo3 version is is now available (see below), which is much more CPU-efficient.

16. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

17. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

18. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

19. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual