Best free DVD to MP4 converter - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by phloopy, Apr 5, 2020.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Hi

Any suggestions? Win10 - 64bit

Thanks

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Given that "best" is a subjective term, I use a lot of DVD ripping sw.

However, I would give the "at least temporary best" prize to:
    https://handbrake.fr/
    (freeware)

Also, if DVD is encrypted you would probably need stuff like AnyDVD (paid).

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

5. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

You're welcome.

6. johnw

johnw Kapellmeister

VidCoder - still have the option to set target file, in case you need this option...

7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Thanks @johnw :like:

8. Sabrina

Sabrina Noisemaker

Try Handbrake.It supports Windows, Mac, and Linux and Converts video from nearly any format

9. Noksus

Noksus Newbie

Only in Handbrake, the interface is just terrible. It's very difficult to figure out how to convert videos without guides. Yes, it converts to many formats. But if you need a large list of formats to convert, it's better to find another software.

10. Nirimaro

Nirimaro Newbie

And what kind of converter do you use if you don't like the one that is offered here. It's just that there's not so much really high-quality paid software. Look at the reviews of different software, you should find something with a huge number of formats for conversion.

11. Noksus

Noksus Newbie

I used a couple of free converters, one had about 18 formats to convert. For the average user, this is enough and everything was intuitive in the interface. But for professionals who convert a lot of videos every day, this is not enough. Those who are engaged in video editing will understand me.

12. Nirimaro

Nirimaro Newbie

Well, you're right about something. The main thing is to look for the application that does not degrade the video quality during conversion. When you convert video, there may be quality losses, especially if you convert to old formats like 3gp. But if you convert avi to mp4, then there should be no loss in quality. Here is an excellent video converter movavi site as an option, it is just possible to convert avi to mp4 and other formats online. It speed converts quickly, there are no restrictions on the downloaded file, you can convert at big 10 hour videos. The service will cope with such task without any problems.

13. rossbarton035

rossbarton035 Newbie

I recommend that you use this link. Fastreel free video editor is pretty easy to use and has all the tools for that. You can try it out.

14. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

If you need a simple "many formats" to "many formats" converter then I recommend "Xmedia Recode" which is very fast and easy to work with. Works only on Windows, though. :sad: But hey, one can use a VM [VirtualBox, VMWare, Parallels] for this. :wink: I personally use Recode and good old VirtualDub which can cut out unwanted scenes from a video losslessly, and encode video easily [but when you know what you're doing] in a VBox VM Windows 7. There is a successor to this really popular video editor [with a ton of plugins] called VirtualDub2 here.

If you need a proper DVD to MP4 [h.264 or h.265] converter then Handbrake is the king regardless the GUI [do you prefer wooden panels? :)], and it's free, and multiplatform. :wink:

If you need a video editor, you don't have to look any further then Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve. Even the free version is absolutely usable, and it's a fully fledged, professional, multi-platform video editor. :wink:

A word of advice, though: MP4, MKV, MOV, Webm, and AVI are container video formats that can contain a different kind of multiplexed audio and video codecs. Especially AVI and MKV can be really complicated to make properly, because they can contain several kinds of different video and audio codecs. So watch out for that. MP4 should contain only h.26x video and aac or mp3 audio codecs [aac highly recommended for quality and compatibility] and it's the most recommendable AV format. Webm usually contains Ogg or Opus audio multiplexed with a VPx [8-9] video codec. Thankfully, Recode has presets, so you choose the final format and it does almost everything else for you. It's perfect for beginners who don't want to get into all this video/audio/codecs conundrum! :wink:

p.s. Watch out for interlacing, and to properly deinterlace video before encoding! Handbrake has a great deinterlacer, easy to set up. So does Recode, actually. Without deinterlacing original video, your encoded video will look like shit when there's something moving in the video, especially action scenes will look unwatchable.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

The best tool for DVD's in almost 2022?
    [​IMG]
    Given the fact that all monitors & TV's nowadays are FullHD minimal,
    lots have 4K resolution. Your DVD however is still @ 720 x 480 (also called SD).
    This means that to view a DVD Fullscreen, it's pixels will be blown up.
    2.5 times on a FullHD screen and 5 times on a 4K screen.
    No matter what software you choose, you can't change that.

[​IMG]

16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

17. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

DVDFab is really good and also DVD Converter from vso-software.fr these companies have been around since the early 90's and were easy to use. DVDFab can even upscale your 480p up to 1080p if you want.

18. yomav

yomav Newbie

I made DVDs from old Hi8 tapes a few years ago (in ISO format) and like to convert them back into mp4. I played around with VLC a little, but I cannot get it to work. Yes, I googled, but to no avail. It's either no video or no audio or just nothing. Any recommendations on alternatives to VLC? I'd like to play the converted video back on tablet or mobile. Thanks

19. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Don't try to open it with the Media->Open Disk, instead, double click on VIDEO_TS.IFO (and open it with VLC), it should load correctly.
    If not, d-click one by one all .VOB files and see if they work.
    If not again, probably DVD is damaged.

Last chance: convert it in mp4 with VidCoder or Handbrake (free). Vidcoder has some option more but basically it's same as Handbrake.
    But again, if DVD is damaged probably you won't access all or some files, no matter what the say about recovery sw.

I personally lost some precious clip because of (writable) DVD, very bad media to save important data.