Best Dupe File Remover

Discussion in 'PC' started by babybrown, Nov 19, 2013.

1. babybrown

babybrown Ultrasonic

Spent most of today trying to find the best program to nuke duplicate files so that I don't turn green when I am searching samples and synth presets - especially in Maschine 2.0.

There is so much garbage out there - the best looking one seems to be Smart Duplicate Finder but unfortunately I cannot find a full version anywhere on the net.

Any alternatives?

3. gargantuan

gargantuan Newbie

4. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

i dont know if is the best, but it´s the one i used

AllDup

5. crumpy

crumpy Newbie

Key Metric Duplicate File Detective.
    This app is boss.
    Nothing more advanced out there, nor with as many options (that I have ever seen)
    Ive tried them all, and everything else is cheaply coded, utter garbage in comparison.

duplicate-file-detective.com

With its hashing algorithms, and searching only by md5/sha1 etc, not by file name... you know with all those "preset collections" people post? LOL. You would be surprised, how unorganized and sloppy someone can be, when over 60-80% of the collection(s) is dupes.

6. babybrown

babybrown Ultrasonic

That's what I'm saying'!!! You should have seen my face when I pulled up Massive in Maschine 2.0... I started scrolling down the preset list on my hardware and there was like a hundred 1's followed by a patch name then thirty 2's... I dry puked a little bit.

Cheers for that tip mate. For sure will try it tomorrow!

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've been using this for years: http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

It's super fast. I've never seen a faster duplicate finder. However, I'm going to try AllDup, too. It's the one I haven't tried yet.

8. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

One which ignores file names but checks for CRC and/or binary matches and give a result list as matched files.
    So many presets and samples with different names bur identical content!

But as a second-level check after getting a result list, use your file/folder browser (file explorer in Windows) to compare the folder structures.
    Often some will have more or less files in different sub-folders with some matching, some not.

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

think twice before you download anything, sort everything you download, before you start.
    thats my dupe file remover method.

and the best file explorer is the total commander - dump the windows explorer - youll never use anything different after using it.

10. cruzmeyers

cruzmeyers Newbie

I have used a program called Similarity. Its probably the best one I have seen especially for audio files. It not only scans metadata and file names but analyzes the audio or image spectrum and sonogram to verify matches and can compare the quality of audio in the file i.e. clipping, actual bit rate, popping, noise etc. Very good advanced filter controls as well. As a DJ swapping music files and hard drives I found it very valuable. Only downside is it is subscription based software, $30 for 3 years. I recommend you check it out.