Best Drum VST instrument

Discussion in 'Rock, Metal' started by Nima, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

I have Tested these as real Drum Vst Instrument:

1. Superior Drummer
    2. Addictive Drum
    3. Studio Drummer (NI)
    4. MDrummer (Melda production)

and I think the Superior is the best under these 4. The sample Quality was the best. but addictive has the better and easier mixing and mastering GUI

if You Know other VST,i Please comment about it.

I would like to Know Your opinion

3. Jessycd

Jessycd Noisemaker

Steven Slate

Ocean Way

BFD2

My top 3

4. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

I have them all and by Far the most realistic best sounding is Toontrack Superior, but lacks alot of stuff oppose to Addictive drums and steven slate
    and the worst cluster one out there is !!!!!! BFD Big Fuckin Depression

5. svmiller

svmiller Newbie

I don't really know much about that sort of vst.
    But I worked once with some guy who used Nerve, and it seems quite nice to me...

6. Nima

Nima Noisemaker

I checked the demo sounds of Steven slate drums. It,s very similar to Superior but for less money you become more drum kits. I don't know how the Interface works. Its important how many layers are used in the sounds. Do you know How big is the Library?

I think Nerve is a Drum Machine and sequenser for Electronic (Dance) Style, not real drum sounds.

7. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Haven't used Superior because its so huge. Ezdrummer is not my cup of tea for acoustic drums because it lacks in customization, an earlier version of BFD that I tried was just bad because it didn't have Round Robins (or so I thought at that time).

Addictive Drums works best for me because its amazing array of features, adequate realism and an affordable size that I can run on my modest PC.

8. Nawhak

Nawhak Ultrasonic

Addictive Drums really is my fav.
    Great sound from the start (which is can be bad too as it can turn you lazy to customize your set)
    ;-)
    It's also very light on your hard drive compared to stuff like BFD and SDrummer

Superior Drummer is great with many, maybe too many, add-ons.
    A little bit less "plug and play" than Ad Drums and I think it requires a little bit more of sound engineering knowledges to make the sound big but once it's okay it can be very impressive.

Actually both are amazing because they really allow you to make your track sound like it's a real drummer who performed it.
    If you know the basics of a real drummer playing, everything is possible.
    Articulations and settings are way far from each other so, finally, it's only a question of feeling.

9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

I typically dig on Addictive and Beatstation, as well as Live's Drum Racks... the latter two mostly for their ability to layer any sounds together easily, then tweak them.

10. Jessycd

Jessycd Noisemaker

I not agree ! It really fits well in the mix ! And has a good dynamics ! BUT it's sometimes over rated, that's true...

Steven Salte 3.5 Platinum is 8Go

Slate 4 is 10Go

The version 3.5 runs with Kontakt, the version 4 has its own interface to go really deep in editing

Yep of course Nerve is not real drum sounds ! But it's not only dance/technoish stuff, it's really more than this ! I use some samples from Nerve (Too expensive and crack doesn't work well) for rock/industrial stuff and it does the job well !

11. stensax

stensax Newbie

I think that Abbey Road Drummer and Studio Drummer sounds the best, most realistic sounding in my opinion.
    But Superior Drummer is good too, i use it even more.
    very lightweight for the cpu compared to abbey road drummer.

:)

12. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

Of course Superior Drummer 2.3 is king beast. The only problem is it takes training and fundamentals to create your own kits properly which many don't have. I have every kit and can close to perfectly emulate any drum kit I hear on a cd in a matter of hours. Ever more than that I can make it sound better than 90% of cd's [because recording real drums is painful...] But yeah, hands down SD2.3 is best it just takes a lot of learning. I had to get Groove 3's video tutorials to learn it well enough to use it effectively.

I just wish they would put a good Pork Pie kit or do a Morgan Rose EZX or something.

Only gripe I have with SDX kits is the presets. Even the "purchased" presets are just crap. I'd say out of EVERY SDX kit there is only 3 "ready to go" presets. Or the Bulb presets that were just garbage. It was like he was trying to make the Avatar kit sound bad.

Steven Slate sounds decent. I like the "American Metal" kit quite a bit as well as a few others. All SSDrums are all "Ready to Go". But in the end they still come out sounding thin. The cymbals leave much to be desired in terms of "real" sounding, and the Snares are all rather thin.

NI Studio Drummer is kinda like Steven Slate Drums. It sounds decent, and several of the presets are "Ready to Go" but several things either don't sound right or just not something the works for the genre's I work with which are maining rock/metal. Same problem with Cymbals as SSD they just aren't convincing especially in heavier music where Cymbals ultimately set the mood and pace of the music. Granted I have never had a copy of "Modern Drummer" or the update from Modern Drums but so far NI has never made a drum kit that I would put in a master.

Addictive Drums are just horrible. They don't sound real even a little bit. And even with the "metal" upgrade it was still crap. I mean I like "In Flames" but those drum kits where crap. I would have returned it and got my money back if I hadn't been dumb and registered it before I used it... Personally I don't think it's suitable for anything. EzDrummer is far better, sounds better more options.

13. Jessycd

Jessycd Noisemaker

Yep I forgot that one ! And all NI drums too. They are good products too !

Yes, "Ready to go" is a good definition for SSDrums and Studio Drummer ! (More for SSD !)

14. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Xoso, considering AD drums are real, sampled, drums, I don't see any reason to say that they dont sound like real drums.

Never really understood why people like to hate on AD, Excellent UI, lots of kits, tons of midi, on board effects, bus effects, decent mixer, and lastly, a nice light fingerprint.

:thumbsup:

15. xoso

xoso Kapellmeister

They may be recorded real drums but it doesn't mean they sound any better. I spent the past 2 years collecting/testing every drum library out there to find the perfect industry quality sets, and this isn't one of them. I'd say that AD Drums sounds more like a kit from NI Battery than a real sample library. At very best these drums could be used in video game music. But if your trying to fool people into thinking your using real recorded high quality drums then it just doesn't work. So maybe they sound real and I mean to say they sound like crap. Eitherway AD was a huge waste of money for me and isn't worth the time compared to EzDrummer [low end] or Superior Drummer [high end].

I'm not hating on AD, just telling like it is when it comes to sounding real. I mean AD would be good for like Industrial or NIN type stuff.

16. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

a whole 2 years? :rofl:

I jest. :grooves:

17. loscolorados

loscolorados Newbie

i think superior is worst of all, and bfd is far the best

18. stensax

stensax Newbie

Naaa, Addictive Drums are good too, the are very processed, like ready to go drums. They work on some types of music. and i have got nice sound from them in a mix. very punchy and shiny sounding.
    but yes i prefer superior drummer. even if the gui sucks. looks like it was made for windows 97 or something. :wow:
    I really like superior drummer.

Honestly i haven't used the studio drummer that much but when i've used them they sounds very convincing. I have used abbey road drummer 60s and 70s all the time on my latest projects, they are really great! the best in my opinion!
    works great for my indie music ;D

19. Menigguh

Menigguh Newbie

Depends on application

SSD 4.0 for modern metal all day

20. Nawhak

Nawhak Ultrasonic

It's maybe good to mention that the new Drummer Series for Kontakt 5+ can be set on the classic VSTi's maps (AD, SD, etc..)
    Options \ Midi Mapping panel \ Preset

Also, it would be great that AD finally releases the x64 version of their plug just like I'd be curious to try the Indie Pack as well.
    This leads me to a question, does anyone know if, using the 1.5.2 version by AiR, so a cracked one, we can use legal expansions?
    The indie pack for instance.
    ;-)

@xoso
    To have AD sounding less NIN or general industrial, you really have to care about the strength of your MIDI hits.
    Play them in between 45 and 95 then you have great realistic things coming from.

Have a good day all!
    :D

NWK

21. xsze

xsze Guest

Nice thread :thumbsup: