Best Drum Sounds Ever

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rasputin, May 19, 2016.

1. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

This can be either someone's acoustic kit in a specific context (John Bonham's kit on Immigrant Song, ?uestlove on Erykah Badu's Booty, etc.), a particular drum machine, a favorite combination of samples or 'signature' kit, etc.

Please no mention of the 808/909/Linn/DMX unless they're combined with a special treatment/technique or other magic. Just because I feel they're played out and I don't want to flood this thread with 50 posts of blatantly obvious responses.

Discuss.

3. jamzprod

jamzprod Noisemaker

My own drum sounds.

4. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Which consists of?

Unless you're Rahzel then I'm assuming your amazing drum sounds aren't the result of your human instrument.

5. ash1

ash1 Ultrasonic

what about Thomas Penton Complete Essential Series

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  6. Lean

Lean Producer

Very Subjective and impossible to give a definitive answer.

For example great acoustic sounds can vary immensley depended upon the acoustics of the room, skill of the engineer what kit is used.

Of course things like the DBX-160 always going to be a favourite with drum techs. For Rap well some might say Akai and some would just sample whatever they could.

It doesn't come down to the kit as kits are standard.

It's all down to the whole processing chain, enginneer mics used modifications to kit and the way the drummer actually hits the drums i.e skill level.

So really an impossible question to give a definitive answer. For me personally acoustically I love the sound of Gretsch Kits but again is genre specific.

For vintage well Ludwig always gonna be there and for metal maybe Tama Starclassic Bubinga etc.

Every drummer probably has a favourite kit but a smart drum has several kits that he adapts to suit his specific needs and suitability for genre.

If you want example of albums personally I loved the sound of Vinnie Pauls Pearl kit yet he used a customized Sonar snare and it was the way in which it was adapted and engineered that made it stand out.

So all in all I think an impossible question to answer outside personal favourites.

As for electronic Kits I don't really like them or know enough about them to give a fair answer :bow:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Wurlie Rocker

Wurlie Rocker Producer

I've always liked Nick Mason drum sound from 70's, that punchy, dampened Ludwig kit. Still can't find anything in software drums that could get close to that sound. It either sounds like Ringo's kit or Bonham's kit, not Mason's. It took Alan Parsons and Nick Mason to do it themselves and record Nick's black custom Ludwig kit for BFD engine. Yet, while it sounds reminiscent, that particular sound is still not there. I guess, Nick built his custom black kit closer to The Wall recordings or even after that. What was before that was Silver Sparkle kit and probably Tequila Sunrise Vistalite. Parsons recorded two more Ludwig kits for BFD, would be interesting to check them out.

• List
  8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've always loved the drums on this. Simple, but the beat and sound of them make the song.

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I like the late 70's, early 80's drum sounds .. Stephen Morris, Boris Williams, Stewart Copeland, Roger Taylor (DD), Topper Headon. The combination of the recent punk, disco and krautrock influence seems to have freshened things up, and of course it was the time when electronic sounds first started to hit the mainstream. It seems to me that during this period the sole purpose of the drummer was to drive the music without being self-indulgent. This era was a major influence on all the bands that followed, even continuing until this day.

Go Boris! ..

Stephen Morris warming up at a sound-check :woot:

Topper was tops!

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  10. Dread_J

Dread_J Kapellmeister

carlton barrett in uprising
    lars ulrich in justice
    christian vander in üdü wudu
    ralph molina in ragged glory
    billy cobham in spectrum

edit :
    boris williams is awesome in Live in Orange

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yeah, Live in Orange was a great gig to see what they were all about, and well worth hunting down :wink:

12. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

hmmm...I keep hearing this name...and this kit. gotta check it out.