Best DAW

Discussion in 'DAW' started by GoldenEar, Apr 6, 2018.

?

What DAW do you love the most?

1. Reaper

63 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Samplitude

9 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. FL Studio

45 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Protools

11 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Studio One

80 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. Sonar

20 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. Ableton Live

61 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. Mixbuss

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. Cubase

60 vote(s)
    14.7%
  10. Bitwig

18 vote(s)
    4.4%
  11. Others (comment below)

9 vote(s)
    2.2%
  12. Logic

14 vote(s)
    3.4%
  13. Digital Performer

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  14. Reason

5 vote(s)
    1.2%
  15. Mixcraft

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  16. Acid Pro

3 vote(s)
    0.7%
  17. Adobe Audition

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Nuendo

6 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. hausland

hausland Member

And to add lastly: not a DAW per se, but I recently got an Elektron Digitakt to mess around with on the go and by now have it hooked up to all of my external gear as well as Ableton Live (Live in slave mode). That little thing is deceptively chill in its feature set but in fact is quite powerful and I currently use it as my central studio piece for pattern based compositions. I just love the immediacy of interacting with it, means I can translate ideas into sounds without much lag.

Ah, good times we live in in terms of music making :)

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. vkris

vkris Ultrasonic

Thank you for adding Acid pro :)

3. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

DAW's are like titties !!! some are Big... some are Small... But in Audio>>>sex we like em ALL !!! :cheers:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Dvus I

Dvus I Kapellmeister

Fl studio & Protools HD 12.5 A.U
    :wink:

5. fritzm

fritzm Producer

joke

6. Hamudi2000

Hamudi2000 Ultrasonic

I think Cubase has big balls but I kinda like it :D

7. Sinnistar7

Sinnistar7 Ultrasonic

HAAAAAHA...
    Just as Magix announces Acid Pro 8 this feed comes back.

I just have to say that it is funny, after reading all these posts and comments it just brings what I have always thought to the forefront. With soooooo many DAWs out there, it is funny to see that all of use that have commented on here (me as well) have more then one DAW we use in our day to day. Just goes to show that there is not "One to rule them all" but in fact ones that we wished did what the others didnt or do better. I use several DAWs on the daily (at work and at home) and there is often a time I wished that one had features the other had or did things better. It makes me laugh though, that in the age of the internet and feedback and all that that one company (the list of those provided above) have yet to improve on those features that are so many of use complain about or yet add to feature list.

Look, I know I am opening up a can of worms but lets look at the big picture here. Many of these companies bite off of one another. Some do things a hell of a lot better then others adn others wished they could do things better or in fact improve on what they have. Some we wished did things better so we dont have to depend on others to get the job done. This is all spurred from the fact that after almost 20 years Maigx is releasing Acid Pro 8. This is a huge risk simple because after 20 they are going up against almost 20 different DAWs. It is funny to see how many features Acid originally had and how many of these features came in a lot of these daws.

I see Pro Tools being geared toward engineers, Ableton geared toward live musicians and the sort, Nuendo for content creators, and so on. Everything in between is a version of one of these that has a tool set or features that the other doesnt have or does better or different. But all in all, we all dont have just one but several. In the line of work we are in, we have many tools to go with cause well everything is different and each does something better then the other or what not.

But why do DAWs have to be sooooo damn different???:dunno:

8. Hennessey

Hennessey Platinum Record

after couple days working in another studio with STUDIO ONE i have realized how CUBASE is powerful,simple to use and FL STUDIO also. My vote goes to Cubase ,even if thought few years ago that is complicated ,now after i am forced to use S1 i just regret so much ,because it is a poor wannabe copy of cubase but is too complicated not user friendly UI ,but still it is a personal prefrence . IMO, Cabase and FL Studio are winner combo!

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. Anix Kani

Anix Kani Newbie

Man. It's too obvious. Reaper is the one. Just try it and you will understand

10. GoldenEar

GoldenEar Ultrasonic

Because people prefer different workflows. Some find some DAWS difficult to work with and some DAWS easy to work with. I guess it all boils down to taste and preference. Whatever works for you can sometime not work for another person.

11. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

The term "BEST" is so ambiguous. It has no real answer.
    How many DAW's can handle a single track for every instrument in a 128 piece Orchestra with inserts on each? Or a 20 piece ensemble miked in stereo on each instrument - Not many.
    Many were not designed for this task and many people would not do or want to do a task like that.
    Some are designed for specific types of music creation, some are for all music styles, types and genres.
    Each one has something to offer, some for similar reasons and others for different reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. kday

kday Member

Sonar is the best!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

When I think best DAW, some of the main points I'm thinking are - small footprint, cpu management, snappiness, stability under load, bloated add-ins, vst management, flexibility, feature set, and of course the piano roll.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  14. powerplay

powerplay Ultrasonic

music for Studio one and Cubase, film for Pro tools. mastering for Sequoia. Period!

15. p4V3l

p4V3l Noisemaker

this but by gut feeling instead of research

16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Not a traditional 'DAW' but for me Maschine Studio. I love the hybrid (perfect coupled hardware+ software) workflow

17. fritzm

fritzm Producer

"I don't think I will ever need something other than FL Studio".

I rest my case. lol

18. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

Yeah, it's like I have more important things to worry about than which DAW I use, like being creative which is always a challenge itself. FL was also the first and only DAW I ever used, so naturally I kinda know it like the back of my hand. But even from LOOKING at other DAWs I don't see how that would improve my workflow so I see no need in even trying out other DAWs. A lot of people probably feel the same way about their own DAW of choice.

19. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Interesting Question. heard many times around the world Well here is my answer.. The Best DAW is the one I am paid to use, The one in my face right here and right now. They can change ,depending on the client. I highly suggest that ya'll ask about the worse DAW and then learn the fuck out of it and move on up, You never know what DAW you may have to deal with, Today I am dealing with Nuendo , trying to put together a post WWE Wrestlmania DVD together, Next week it could be a local friend that has Ableton and likes to Rap, best to always be prepared for all any situation NOT just your
    personal choice

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  20. Master Q

Master Q Producer