best daw for midi composing?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by tzzsmk, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Kensmith

Kensmith Noisemaker

For midi Cubase.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

That's pretty cool, reminds me of a Rob Papen synth I used that had a similar feature but I forget what it's called right now. It also had an XY Pad to morph between presets. Bitwig sounds to me what Ableton was trying to be but fell short of it, I think Ableton users should switch over since it looks way more ideal for their workflow.

About the second Bitwig Operators video in the piano roll with the chopping and velocity events, Fl Studio was able to do that almost a decade back now.

3. softice

softice Producer

gfhg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  4. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Yes, and when it was Emagic's Logic, nobody wanted to use it -- it was clunky and terrible (and came with a user's manual the size of a phone book). They got super-lucky when Apple bought them out and retooled it a bit. That said, people rant and rave about Logic for the same reason they dig Cubase: it comes with a ton of plugs, it uses pictures instead of text to label things, so you don't have to bother with all that pesky reading, and, in response to Emagic's unnecessarily clunky interface, it basically allows you select pre-built channel strips and instrument setups so you guys can get back to what's really important: laying down bunches of loops (Logic comes with 70 GBs of nothing but) and one-finger arps and calling it "music".

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Cubase ofc!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Cubase on PC, Logic on Mac.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

The alternative to Emagic Logic Platinum at the time, was what Cubase SX or 3.7 still? The Logic Environment was already very nice, and many advanced users preferred it hands down over cubase. Apple would not buy such a company and then minor "retool it". They would take the name of the company and product, and the rest would cease to exist. At that time, they were very similar functionality from Mac/pc and either 3.7 or SX. It was a very good DAW for the time.
    And they probably got unlucky in their timing selling it. Apple was not the 3 Trillion dollar company it is now. That was just prior to success of iPhone 3g.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

At the time Emagic sold Logic, it was still just a MIDI sequencer -- there weren't really a lot of DAWs around. Apple didn't have a music app, and since Logic was really the only one around that was "Apple only" and willing to sell, I guess it made sense that they bought it. At the time, though, everybody hated it because of its unnecessary complexity (which may have been why they were so willing to unload it). Master Tracks Pro was the best cross-platform sequencer around, and for the early DAWs, it was either Cubase, Cakewalk, Opcode's Vision and Studio Vision, or MOTU's Performer (then, Digital Performer and Audio Desk). Plus, Pro Tools was around at the studio level, although I don't think they'd added MIDI to it at the time.

Like everybody else, I'm not a fan of the DAWs I don't use ... if you can make decent music in Logic, then that's all that really matters. It's good enough for John Carpenter, for Christ's sake.

9. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

To quickly track ideas I like Korg Gadget quite a bit. The limited environment with just enough sound sources and the fast and straightforward sequencer help me writing stuff in my head before it dissolves.
    After that, Logic and Live are my choices, I just got used to them. Might dive into Maschine one day (mainly because of the controller) but didn't have the time yet.

@Iggy When sold to Apple, Logic was a full-blown audio DAW as well with excellent effects already.