Best DAW For CPU Performance Question

Discussion in 'DAW' started by mrrnr, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Blorg

Blorg Producer

^Running with just 16gig, not a pro, my audio projects must be really small (compared to what people talk about in this thread). Just impressed with how cheap 8700 is (still didn't buy, would need new mobo etc., but tempted, for video stuff).
    Sorry for OT.

2. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

and when you want to upgrade you screwed, because intel comes with new socket like usual. :)
    ohh and you thought about the security bug intel has now? its an old intel cpu, it has the bug for sure. so cut 5-30% performance :D

3. Sorry Bro, but AMD Ryzen has it too.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/05/spectre_flaws_explained/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/06/amd_cpu_psp_flaw/

It's a really wierd question, which DAW is fastest, because you can only know the answer, properly, if you've tried them all, and I don't know anybody who has. I'd have thought it has to Saw Studio, as the last time I looked, it was written entirely in assembler. I wouldn't use Saw Studio for any reason other than sheer insanity, but hey, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2018
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Might as well, get a 32bit amd athlon cpu for banking, ebay, paypal ,etc.. :cool:

"The good news is that hackers would first need to install malicious software on your computer in order to take advantage of these flaws. That means they need to select their targets and hack each one of them before running a sophisticated attack to steal a computer's sensitive information."

So basically no more dangerous than any other similar hacking tool, if they break in its over any way. 99% of viruses and malware is a result people doing stupid shit, visiting shady sites, etc.
    I think servers and companies like Amazon are at bigger risk than the average consumer.

5. Blorg

Blorg Producer

True.
    Patch installed, no noticeable/measurable hit for me. But you know who really got slammed by that patch (it gets applied to all x86/AMD64 systems)? Hapless AMD users
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/intel-cpus-suffering-serious-unfixable-issue.33118/page-5#post-306245
    [​IMG]
    Sincerely,
    Team Blue

6. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

How's DP9? Heard they got this.. any DP9-ers here?

Next-gen Pre-gen™ engine
    Run more plug-ins and VI's than ever before
    DP9's enhanced pre-rendering engine delivers an incredible jump in your computer's CPU performance. Run more plug-ins and virtual instruments than ever before, with seamless transition between pre-gen and real-time operation. You won't believe how many plug-ins you can run in DP version 9!

[​IMG]

7. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

sorry double post

8. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

You're taking my comment out of context.

Ableton is a great production tool and unique in its live performance aspect (other than Bitwig).

But its very straining to mix a hundred track session in it, and its tedious to record and comp layers of vocals. This is why many Ableton (and FL) users opt to record vocals and mix in another DAW like Pro Tools, Studio One, Cubase, or Logic etc.

Theres a right tool for every job and if you're a multi-faceted studio and had to pick only one DAW, Ableton wouldn't be the one.

9. loCurnus

loCurnus Ultrasonic

ableton....

1 track - 1 used core... you got 18 tracks you need 18 cores to do max perf