Best DAW For CPU Performance Question

Discussion in 'DAW' started by mrrnr, Feb 7, 2016.

1. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

well like i said the Presonus unit made my system better as well and from what im told its pretty much the consensus that the firewire drivers for windows by Motu leave A LOT to be desired . but yeah i could imagine that when steinberg is building cubase they're using one of there own interfaces to work with so yeah the integration is there for sure, partly why i went that way. to be honest it was a test really , i didn't think id be happy with it as i am. But it was a good deal and i have 30 days to bring it back if im not completely satisfied . but i think ill be holding on to this one. nothing fancy but its doing the job nicely.

2. panspOrmia

panspOrmia Ultrasonic

I`ve tried Ableton, PT and Bitwig. I then tried REAPER... and have never looked back. Fast, efficient, stable. Bought it the same day I tried it out. Hard to believe it is only a 10mb file! Last time I checked, it was $60! (otherwise, it`s FREE to use as a demo, with full functionality!). REAPER... hands down!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

junkie xl (bless his name) makes boring generic h/bollwood muzzak nowaydas, same as zimmer, they should enjoy their millions and enjoy life in the tropics, let new guns try something new (no, i wouldn't/couldn't compete be one of those, not enough talent). and look at the bazllions guys workings for zimmer, is he even composing ANY notes nowadays himself?
    feel free to disagree

ps: cubase is stable

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  4. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

@flashback23
    "Bless his name"...lol

Orchestra film scoring in the 70s and 80s was at its peak,started dying of in the 90s.
    Yea,i agree the age of superb quality scoring from maisters like Williams,Goldsmith,Bill Conti,Morricone,Kamen,Horner,Silvestri etc.... those times are sadly gone.
    These people also devoted their lifes to music,were geniuses and lastly they are a result of certain time and place which used to be more humane than today.
    Though Hans has made some excelent work troughout his career,he is in a different league than those composers,not worse just different.
    He made a small revolution the way he records,huge private collection of samples 20 years before there were orchestral libraries,or software like Kontakt,the man was way ahead of time.
    He also revolutionized film scoring with heavy drums,synths you can feel in your gut yet at the same time he wrote stuff like "Time"...the guy knows what he`s doing.
    I agree though for one quality score he makes five generic scores,especially in the last years.

Junkie XL,he is still relatively fresh for a movie composer,though he is getting better and better and Mad Max Fury Road was imo brilliant.
    Saw it in the theater,it was superb,it made a great movie even better.
    I love that the drums weren`t over processed like typical modern Hollywood production,it felt very raw.
    You say too many people working for Hans.
    That has always been the case in Hollywood since the 50s.
    This is nothing new.
    You may write a piece or two all by yourself but after years of composing you want to spend more time with your familly.
    There is a whole team behind the process,ofcourse one man cant do 5 scores per year,its business.
    Morricone is one of the few that still does the job all by himself.
    Times have changed and in a way Zimmer popularized Orchestra film scoring,it didnt die out and for that im grateful.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Kapatron

Kapatron Member

Cubase indeed is hands down the best DAW for high track count. Version 6.5 (with the Nuendo 5 engine) on Windows is rock solid (assuming you don't use the 32 bit bridge which is an absolute mess, use jBridge instead). Higher versions of cubase sound fantastic but still have not optimized cpu usage as well as 6.5 build from 2013 unfortunately. Logic is excellent for fast arrangement, Pro Tools is an audio editor powerhouse and the mix engine has always been fantastic. Studio One is building a huge userbase considering how quickly they adapt, stay on top of software updates, and how fresh the software architecture is to today's API. If I were starting out right now, I'd jump on StudioOne 3 and never look back.

• List
  6. olivergrey

olivergrey Member

I honestly just wish Reaper could implement S1 V3's Media Browser, along with its VST / VSTi Drag and Drop features.

And when I say implement, I mean both in function and aesthetically...Even though I personally think FL Studios Media Browser is the most intuitive I've used thus far.

7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

What does S1,3 do with
    VST / VSTi Drag and Drop
    ?

8. olivergrey

olivergrey Member

s1's media browser has a vst drag and drop feature that i prefer, which is similar to FL Studios. Reaper has a browser, and you can select vst's through it, but not in the same manner. Reducing the number of clicks is essential, meaning its more work for me to access it in reaper than s1. It seems better, but when youre doing mass production ona time based system, speed is essential

9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Dunno, but Reaper's had VST(i) drag from browser onto clip, or track for a while. You can also drag to reorder FX, move, or copy between tracks using drag n drop.

10. bergamot

bergamot Member

:bleh::bleh::bleh:Magix Sequoia:bleh::bleh::bleh:

11. Caldera

Caldera Producer

For me is Presonus Studio One 3 the winner. Low on CPU and very flexible routing posibilities. The only thing that I really miss is a score editor. You can use Notation for that if you will, however I don't find this combination user friendly. I've also worked a lot with Cubase. Also a great daw with far more midi posibilities and...a score editor. Studio One, in my opinion though, has a faster and more convinient workflow structure with very handy and fast tools to work with. Cheers!

12. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Reaper is fast and stable. To have fastest workflow, you have to tweak tons of options to your needs. Reaper is a monster that always works the way you want it to. Not for those people who go confused by seeing lots of options.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Vagalume

Vagalume Newbie

:dont: No offense but STUDIO ONE is NOT low on cpu at all (one of the worst DAW about this).
    On the other side I also believe that STUDIO ONE is really cool on routing and workflow. Anyway. Too many bugs waiting to be solved ... I am sure that it might be the future but it is not definitely the present.

About CPU PERFORMANCE, the best I have ever tried, by far, is REAPER. Then it is the question if you like it or not ... I don't like it so much ...

14. olivergrey

olivergrey Member

I would seriously pay someone to make a Reaper 5 theme that mimicked studio one...I like S1's folder structure better, and bussing and setting up aux channels are straight forward. I know you can have any channel be anything in reaper, but sometimes It can be a bit of a task not accidentally routing something to the wrong place, making a folder on accident, discerning Bus tracks from regular tracks, etc.

• List
  15. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Reaper is the most efficient DAW around.
    That does not mean it's the best DAW, as that has to do with opinion and the job required.

FWIW, I'm a Studio One fan, but it is NOT very CPU efficient.

16. luki3

luki3 Member

Cubase VST 16 or 24. running 30+ years software on todays technology you should plenty of cpu left.

17. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

+1 on everything you just said.
    I LOVE studio one. Thankfully I have a mac pro, so i'm able to get away with more, but it def isn't cpu efficient. I would suspect reaper is the most efficient as well. It's just too nerdy for ME. You have to do everything manually. With that said, it seemed very good when i tried it. Just too advanced for me i think. I sit down to make music and reaper makes me think too hard lol. So I use S1 for its ease of use and quick workflow. I think in Studio one, it's the auto delay compensation that kinda sucks. I like to practice piano and playing through some effects for example.
    The same chain gives me crackles in S1. Even when you turn them off the latency is there. In Logic, hit the delay compensation button and it's smooth sailing even with the chain still there turned on. So i typically practice piano in Logic (my old daw), bounce my tracks and mix in studio one, though I am starting to enjoy producing in S1 as well. The transform to midi and back is AWESOME! Ps: Also weird that mac S1 and win S1 users report different cpu usages. If I could improve one thing about Studio One, it would be the cpu usage! Other than that, it's fantastic.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  18. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

You obviously don't know Reaper at all. With it's actions, custom actions and usermade scripts it can have the fastest workflow in a DAW you can ever imagine.It's customisation is extremely powerful.
    Example, have you ever seen this be done in a DAW, so extreme quick ?:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

Oh no I believe it. I've seen crazy stuff being done with it, like that video of yours. That's amazing. I KNOW it's one of the most powerful daws out there, and that's just from limited testing. But eventually I gave up on it. It was too much of going through (sub)menus for me, despite the nice templates. The fact you bring up "scripts" kinda proves my point. Reaper is too "brainy" for me. Not calling myself dumb, as I'm quite an educated man. Just saying when I sit down, I don't want to think too hard, deal with scripts, coding, or whatever else it may be lol. I just want to make music with a simple user friendly workflow. That's what Studio One provides ME so it fits my uses and tastes. Keep on rocking with Reaper. Love to hear that it's working great for you :wink:. They're just tools man. We make the hits. You won't catch me hating on what anybody uses. :no:

20. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

True words! Everyone will find the DAW that fits the needs. And therefore such threads can be really helpful, if people give insights to their experiences. For example, I am equipped with old hardware (very old), and therefore have to consider the CPU load of software. I found that Reaper was the most efficient in this regard. I would have loved to work with Harrison Mixbus for mixing purposes, because of the simplicity in the workflow. But when running it, I feel like 10 years back to the past. It loads in the range of minutes rather than seconds, and the whole time the GUI feels like in slow motion. That's one example, I tested a lot of other solutions, but so far Reaper is the only efficient software regarding cpu load.

If cpu power is not a concern, I can imagine quite a few DAWs that are friendlier towards people that try the workflow for the first time, than Reaper. On the other hand, while more difficult to understand the concepts (my first rewire setup with Reaper was a nightmare:crazy:), once used to them, it opens up possibilities you can't realize with any other DAW. That might also be a factor to count in.

This was my experience, so in the sense of your post, I'd also say it's all about finding the right DAW for YOU. There is no one DAW that fits all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List