Best DAW For CPU Performance Question

Discussion in 'DAW' started by mrrnr, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

can You link a page where to read about it and how to best use these features in Reaper please :mates:

2. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

Again, this seems to be the un-winable debate of whats the best DAW. The Best DAW is the one that works best for individual user. if what ever your using fills your need and are comfortable with it then thats the one for you. I recently test drove S1v3 and was well impressed lot of improvement over the first version i tried, But i must say i could hear the difference between it and my current DAW. although id like to see some of what is in S1 in my current DAW there wasn't enough to pull me away. I will admit my DAW is a finicky Bitch but when she gets what she wants( its all down to the set up really) there is nothing better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

this isn't the full picture, Cubase for example hardly can be used as creative DAW by default, but if u add third-party VSTs like Nora, PatchWork, Reaktor etc. to it (and begin to use the tightly integrated ones like Halion 5, Groove Agent etc.), it will be a brilliant mind blowing one, so quite important how you can integrate the different workflow elmenets/fragments of a DAW into your music creating process

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

if you are looking for a particular outcome or quality you will achieve by the means available to you. if you do not have any solid goal you will end up spending your time playing about and end up with nothing satisfactory, jack of all trades, master of none as it were. i for one am secretly glad that i am limited, it means i actually get to settle on an end result and not be tormented by the infinity of options that are always howling for attention. all the daws i use are potentially creative. i also know that at some point in the future i still have a huger number of options because digital music by it's nature remains malleable and so, if the music i make is good enough MUSICALLY then i always have the option in future of remixing on more professional circumstances. for now, i am happy enough that all the DAWs mentioned are all equal to the task of creating great musical ideas. and the technology is always developing at a pretty frantic pace, what you are unable to do today you certainly will tomorrow. the one thing that remains constant is music itself. Melody, structure, this is the fundamental where discussions of merit and quality are useful, perhaps. i was listening to some elvis costello yesterday and was aware of a certain rawness in the sound quality,but the songs, they are glorious in and of themselves. the technology used to realize them may be crude but it no way detracts from the quality of the writing. so i get tired very quickly of these arguments about what is the best DAW. as some people have already said, it is likely to be the one you are using, i for one think fl studio is a great piece of software for WRITING music if not of a certain standard in quality in sonic terms.
    i am waffling now, just my 2pence worth..

5. muaB

muaB Producer

OK; MY experiment here: loaded a random combination of high quality sophisticated plugins on a channel and then duplicated it as many times as possible. tried this with cubase 5 and live 9. result: guess what? cubase handled significantly more tracks and cpu was still not peaking. live was on its limit fast. so anyone who tells yeah live is the best just try that- intel i7 quad here.
    was really astonished but still dont use pain in the ass cubase 5 heh :DD live is cool!

6. FerdinandIIIDeMedicis

FerdinandIIIDeMedicis Kapellmeister

Reaper is the best as far as performance goes. S1 is also great, it takes a bit more ressources than Reaper but it's still very light on CPU.

7. northcuttbeatz

northcuttbeatz Ultrasonic

This doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to say that I think it's safe to say that for what its worth, that putting money into upgrading cpu, ram, drive, ect. is well worth it in the long run to avoid problems with your daw. at least in my experience its been worth every penny because I don't have to worry about cpu/ram/drive problems which often occur when mixing with many plug in instances and multiple tracks. The only problems I have in my daw are cpu related because I am running on a laptop w/an intel i5 dual processor, in the future i will upgrade to intel i7 quad core laptop which will can take a bigger load in the cpu... pricey but worth it imo

8. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

...And the "debate" rages on and on and on and on... ad infinitum ad nauseam...

9. miuro

miuro Noisemaker

For cpu efficiency Reaper is far the best daw on the market. It is as if you had a PC or Mac 3 or 4 times more powerful.

10. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

reaper, end of story

11. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

More and more professionals lately start to recognize reaper qualities. Games, movies, mastering, mixing, i see reaper everywhere, more and more. Sure low price help, but i don't se any of those will be using it if it was unstable, uncapable of large projects, not resource efficient and rigorously tested before they take it and trust Reaper as main platform, as they do pretty large projects. It is sure more spread among professionals these days, than many people think.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  12. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

Fl is a CPU Hog.. I have top of the line hardware and middle end of projects I cannot even finish without major latency everytime.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. MarkSlater

MarkSlater Producer

Guys, is it only me that thinks Cubase is not "rock solid" at all? It crashes for stupid reasons and that's the story since the first version till the newer one. It crashes on Mac, it crashes on PC, legit or not legit. Otherwise it is a great DAW. I use it sometimes for finishing the songs. But for CPU management I think Reaper is the best, especially for mixing. For production, I use the "unserious DAW" FL Studio, because I prefer fast workflow and made hits with it.

14. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

I hope you leaved the audio on those channels on while testing, muted channels may be unloaded even if you see activity on the meters. (Logic really saves alot of cpu when muting a channel, and then even more when turning off a track).

Try to identify those "stupid reasons" and avoid provoking them: uninstall faulty plugs, stop feeding exotic file types etc. If you discover specific bugs, you can report them. You can really have a rock solid daw these days.
    PS: The latest "not legit" Cubase version is how many years old? :)

15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I really think that every daw have ups and downs and it's really up to what you do with it (Prod ? Mix ? Mastering), in what genre (number of tracks, vstis, routing plans, modulation needs), your experience, your expectations, etc.
    I use both Reaper and Samplitude, each has it's place in my workflow, the things I do in Reaper there's no way I could do it in Samplitude, and reverse is true too ! I would use ONE daw if one was doing it all very well but it's not the case (and any one with a bit of experiences with several DAWS can find flaws in any, no problem, none is perfect).
    What sucks ? You gotta try them all, work a bit with them in a real project situation, and then only will you find the glove that fits the hand...
    And the ressource handling, it really depends What you do...

16. ingehai

ingehai Noisemaker

Nuendo 4,3 alltheway!

17. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I'm not aware of any webpage of that sort, but here's what you can do:
    [​IMG]
    1 - I always set thread buffering manually to usually 1-4 threads. When working with VSTi only, setting it to 0 (no buffering) gave me better latencies, but was unusable once I added media items.

2 - Anticipative processing, it's best to keep this on, although it may not work with all VSTis.

3 - Live multiprocessing - much better CPU allocation than Kontakt's default, but tends to be buggy when "Feedback routing" is enabled in your project settings.

4 - Worker thread scheduling option - this is mainly for Windows 8 and above. Best to keep this unticked unless problems arise.

[​IMG]
    5 - Offline rendering state sensing should be always on, especially for Kontakt and 2CAudio plugins, which apply more CPU intensive, but higher quality processing. With v4, this used to be disabled by default.

[​IMG]

6 - This has nothing to do with buffering, but setting 32bit WavPack for Apply FX makes your freezes and stems a lot smaller, with still great benefits of floating point operation (no clipping)

[​IMG]

7 - Setting this to 32bit floating point with -120dB floor generates 20bit accurate recordings. 20bit has more than enough headroom for any sort of processing, even when working at -18dBFS. Your 16bit renders will still sound perfect (just as with 24bit), only your stems and projects in general will be much smaller (under 1GB in my case with 50 tracks).

Hope this helps.
    And sorry it took me this long to reply. :thumbsup:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  18. Einander

Einander Noisemaker

If you talk real mixing, your CPU should run every DAW without problem, my champion though is still PT & Cubase.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Reaper - Not only an Ultimate DAW but an Ultimate piece of Programming.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

...and it's affordable for everybody, obviously! -- calling my banker, then:suicide:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016