best DAW controller ?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by lovebeats, May 16, 2020.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

The X-Touch is 411 euros in Europe's largest retailer.
    The X-Touch Compact is 289 euros (in the same row in the link)
    https://www.thomann.de/gr/search_dir.html?sw=Behringer+X-Touch&smcs=0
    Mind you those prices include a 24% VAT. In US you won't have to pay that but i haven't the slightest what gives with import taxes :dunno:

2. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I've found an X-Touch Compact used (allegedly excellent condition) for $250, I may get it! Can't decide if I want more faders and less buttons or 1 fader and more buttons...

3. Slapdash

Slapdash Kapellmeister

The best DAW controller EVER created are the ICON Dcommand And DControl for ProTools only. Nothing comes close, they aren’t mere giant mouses but convert protools into a medium format console with dedicated everything, including eq and compressor controls, gain reduction leds, touch sensitive knobs mot just faders, solid steel construction, spaced out ergonomics, built like a tank, cusotm faders, vca spill, real meter bridge and so much more that even the newer S6 doesn’t compare and feels compromised ergonomically. But yeah, the smaller dcommand cost 20 grand new But aat used prices is more than worth it.
    Nothing competes and I mean nothing. Not nuage not S6 and certainly not all the low end 8 fader bank generic midi controllers with nerfed ergonomics and more compromising than it helps, only on dcommand or control can you mix without mouse or screen and nail a mix

you did ask... but pro tools only, ftr they do work with 12.5 hd on the sister site. I’ve used all DAWs, and many sub par controllers, nothing has ever come close to that experience or Avid Icon with PT which is why many big name mixers use them, garay, tchad blake, fillipetti, maserati... the closest to a virtual ssl with all the beneifts of itb and digital plugins

now, getting to your actual question in context... houston for cubase which i owned , and fader port 8 for studio one i also owned, I sent the latter back fast as it was total crap. Bad layout bad feel and tiny. There’s very few decent controllers out there unless you pony up for something FULLY integrated like ICON for pt.. closest you’ll come is studiolive 32 for studio one and even that’s a toy vs dcommand and PT.

So.. honestly, forget it. If you cantor wont move to pt and use 24 -40 (main plus 2 extensions) fader dcommand that feels like a real mixer then just stick to a single fader faderport which isnt bad for the cost. Everything inbetween thise two extremes is a compromised mess that you’ll get sick of. just giving you the straight talk here.

pt even without a dcommand is much better for mixing than cubase, s1 and logic and he others I’ve used that it would still beat cubase with a houston or beringer for fast results.
    Forget it. Go big or go home. 24 fader dcommands can be had for under 2grand. Worht 20k just a few years back and if you ever have the luxurty of using one, you’ll see why they cost so much.

they also use ethernet connections not sloppy, slow midi. The two way integration is fast, deep and fully empowering. MIDI couldn’t even cope with the amount of data dcommand and PT shares between each other, that is the key to good controllers. Full integration, fast operation and proper full sized spacing. My 24 fader dcommand is the centre of my studio, not sat on a desk under a monitor but on its own table frame. The space it takes up is worth it, when i mix on it I don’t even look at screens or touch the mouse. It’s fuckin beautiful. And basically free if you use aus 12.5 pt hd release which makes the dcommand pay for itself.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Yes, you can even combine just two Extenders, if you don't need the other controls on the right side.

5. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Nektar Panorama P1

Around 285.00 Euro on Amazon. Maybe less elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The Behringer D Touch is $411 American, but if you buy it here in Switzerland and ship it to The States they throw in three bars of chocolate and a dime of (good but not great) weed.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Yeah and this one comes with pre-mapped hundreds of plugins, so it is good for the money.

8. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

I picked that one up a few weeks ago for exact 200 Euro from a german webshop. Today they sell it for 209,20 Euro >> https://www.musicstore.com/en_OT/EUR/Nektar-Panorama-P1-USB-MIDI-Control-Surface/art-PCM0012129-000

Those pre-mappings are a bit mediocre though. Often not the parameters I'd like to have. But that might just be a matter of taste/workflow, and of course you can edit those.
    And the P1 comes with a plugin host called "Nektarine". It's a VST that hosts (and combines, if you wish) VST-Instruments. And with Nektarine you're able to assign everything exactly how you'd love to.

Overall a very nice and useful Controller with really tight DAW integration, in my case Studio One mainly.
    The P1 also has a quality display which is quite handy.
    So, after a few weeks of usage I could really recommend the P1.

9. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I bought a used Icon Qcon Pro off of ebay-kleinanzeigen once to use with Logic. Overall I liked it, but one of the motorized faders was acting funny. I tried to find someone to fix it. And repairing it would have cost me just as much as what I've paid for it for finding the error, getting parts and servicing it. So I got rid of it after it sat around for a year or two.

My Point is: if you want to get a DAW controller don't cheap out and look for something by a reputable brand that provides great customer and maintainance services. Getting through to some Qcon rep to find help was a nightmare. And the guy I got on the phone was just some middleman sales rep from a company reliable for distributing Qcon products in Germany. Very disappointing. So therefor I'd say stay away from Qcon stuff.

The rest is all hands-on testing and recommendations I'd say.

10. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I placed an order for several units. Still waiting for confirmation.

11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Errr... most of them here are actually home... :hahaha:
    And wtf, screw PT man.

12. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

hello superliquidsunshine:cheers::hillbilly::hillbilly:

13. Gyro Gearloose

:winker:
    no hamster purchase's at moment only usual household quantity...
    i apologize in name of
    tower of babel EU parlament:dunno:

14. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

They just confirmed my order. for 5 at $371.35 each INCLUDING shipping. :headbang:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Gyro Gearloose

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

DAW controllers are overrated,
    with only 2 hands it's impossible to precisely drive more than about 4 faders simultaneously,
    on the other hand touch screens and tablets are about equally bad because there is no physical feedback from finger actions
    :chilling:

damn I can't even focus on what I'm typing seeing that profile pic of Pirate..

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Gyro Gearloose

but '''good''' to kno whats up in upper price segment

EDIT yes total unnecessary need to kno for me but i like to kno anyway

18. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

This is true, no doubt, but with hardware you're faster and I dare to say more creative too. Be it with a console, a synth or a separate controller.

19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

[​IMG]

Logitech MX518 ladies and gentleman. Bought it when it came out in 2006, still working like a champ and looking pretty good. :wink:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Gyro Gearloose

i am sure when i buy from there and its much cheaper list price over here i need to pay tax...dunno but i wouldnt wonder if atlantic bridge just worx one way