Best Dangerous BAX EQ Plugin

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by GoldenEar, Mar 23, 2018.

1. GoldenEar

GoldenEar Ultrasonic

Can anybody recommend a good dangerous BAX EQ plugin? I already tested The BAX EQ of Variety of Sounds, Plugin Alliance and Analog Obsessions. Any other ones out there?

Also, does anybody knows the Q or Bandwith of a Dangerous Bax EQ shelf/shelving band/boost?

3. Jayster

Jayster Kapellmeister

Analog Obsession

4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
  5. playtime

playtime Rock Star

UAD's BAX EQ Collection for sure. The sound of this emulation is just amazing. Subtle, smooth, but solves EQ problems like no other :like:

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I think that's it for the software. But I would be interested to know if there is a difference between the plugs and which one you like best.

7. GoldenEar

GoldenEar Ultrasonic

I tested UAD/Plugin Alliance (since its the same), Variety of Sounds and Analog Obsessions.

I must say:

Plugin Alliance - sounds smooth and well rounded but not exactly like the hardware (but hey its closest I guess)
    Variety of Sounds - is a second
    Analog Obsession is a third cause I cant link it (that's the only thing that I can complain about)

So for now I like Variety of Sound - Bax EQ more. Since it's free and does the job.

Does anybody knows the Q or Bandwith of this EQ curves particularly the high and low shelving/shelf band??

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Are you looking at Baxandall tone circuits or an emulation of Dangerous music's BAX hardware EQ?

If you want the sound of DM'S BAX I think you've pretty much nailed it on the head and answered you own question the UAD/BrainWorx stuff is about as close as you get on a set it and and forget it emu.

9. Daz

Daz Guest

If you have or want to try Acustica Nebula, check out CD Soundmaster BXQ Baxandall EQ.

10. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

according to the description there is a ' link mode '.
    http://analogobsession.com/product/bxq/

11. GoldenEar

GoldenEar Ultrasonic

There's none. Trust me. I have the plugin lol

The description is all fake news lol. or maybe I cant see it? maybe a ghost link mode or somethin lol

12. Baxandall Curves are shelf EQs with extremely wide Q. The design has been most widely used in consumer Bass and Treble Knobs found on most domestic hi-fis.

The Dangerous Music BAX EQ is, essentially, a very, very expensive bass and treble knob.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I found this:

upload_2018-3-24_13-32-58.png

"...in the figure above some plots are showing some basic characteristics of the recently appeared Dangerous Music BAX EQ. The device features low and high frequency shelving filters based on a Baxandall design. Note that they do not gain any higher or lower than a 6dB change in magnitude. Instead of the high shelf cutting the lowpass filter of the device is shown in the diagram (it also has a highpass filter which is omitted here) which offers a 12dB per octave curve with Butterworth characteristics."

Here: https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/those-sexy-curves-again/

15. Blorg

Blorg Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List