best cracked kontakt right now and external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by peshti, Jun 11, 2017.

1. peshti

peshti Member

What's the best cracked kontakt right now?

Also should I store all my libraries on an external drive?

I have all my libraries on the hard drive off my laptop right now, so some libraries play like really buggy/noisy (same after export too) and yes I have a sound interface focusrite 2i2 gen 2.

I don't know if my computer is just too slow for kontakt libraries or if I just need to store everything on an external drive.

By the way the computer I have is asus rog 501jw.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

3. AB69

AB69 Newbie

4. peshti

peshti Member

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@peshti yes indeed.. you should put your Kontakt libraries on an external drive... preferably at 7200 rpm
    or if you are a rich man get a large SSD....

I have one of these.. and it made things work much more smoothly using Kontant libs in my DAW...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876,{creative},{keyword}&gclid=CjwKEAjwse7JBRCJ576SqoD7lCkSJABF-bKuRhkgEpWMqajvfpUJQ-YtSzpkAnJ2esKHEdeoMemTqBoCvK7w_wcB&is=REG&sku=1213021

there are different configurations at different price points for your needs

6. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

5.6.6 Symlink No Install version

7. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

5.6.6 + 5.6.8 Version side by side, both symlink.
    The newest Libs (e.g. NI's Thrill) require version 5.6.8, but you can't load the libraries when you use an UETV ("unofficial extended testing version"). So you need version 5.6.6 to load a lib and 5.6.8 to play (the newest at this point of time).
    But this is not a problem, as both types can coexist. You only need to rename the .exe (standalone). At least in Ableton, this doesn't work for the VST version as Ableteon selects the first ocurring .dll even if you put them into another subdirectory. But you can use the standalone 5.6.6 to add a lib and just play with the 5.6.8 as VST.
    (But for the Thrill Lib all this isn't really necessary, as the lib only contains one Instrument which you can load nice and easy via Quickload in v5.6.8)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  8. peshti

peshti Member

I don't know how to make symlink work :/. I have 5.2.2 and the installation was so smooth. Do you know a tutorial or something. Also I tried 5.6.8 but the libraries I had to create with library maker didn't work anymore. Is this a problem with 5.6.6?

Also I didn't find 5.6.6 anywhere except for mac.

9. peshti

peshti Member

Cool, I looked at it and it's 5400rpm though, don't I need 7200rpm? :)

10. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

11. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

The easiest way is to use a current R2R release (I think it's a 5.6.5) and then taking the symlink release from the sister site and copy the .exe file to the Kontakt intall directory (for x64 it's: C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5\x64\ and for x86 with \x86\ at the end). Rename it prior to copying if you plan to use old and new one side by side. Copy the respective .dll to your VST directory.

12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@Herr Durr: I've had a lot of problems with external HDDs getting too hot. So I switched completely to the more elegant, more transportable and mor efficient external SSDs.
    If you don't need THAT much place, most of the time, a 250 GB type will do it. And you don't need to be rich ;)
    ATM Amazon has an offer for Samsung T3 portable for $99:
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T3-P...=1497189398&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+ssd+250gb

Even the 500GB Model isn't too expensive ($179) and I LOVE them. They're so tiny, they fit in the little money pocket in my Jeans ;)

If I'm not at home, I copy the Libs I would need from my desktop or NAS to the Samsung T3 and there we go.
    And all of my libs won't even fit on a 2GB disk.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

agree.. and I did suggest he check SSD's... but as you are probably well aware.. some Kontakt libs are quite HUGE...
    and only getting HUGE-ER ER... it seems to me 1TB would be a minimum at this point.. and it is quite enough..
    then you can load samples, tuts, etc on the other one 1TB.. if you get a 2TB... at $148

unless you have that much self control to keep your available libs at just 500GB ? :no:

I am very happy with my choice as well... and I never plan to carry liberated Kontakt libs
    in my pocket... what if the police stopped me? :bleh:

14. peshti

peshti Member

I got kontakt 5.6.6 portable from audioz and it works fine until I load up a library and it crashes. I can't even reopen it, any sugesstions?

15. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Im not that self controlled. I let my computer manage my self control :yes:

I do it this way: I've a built in HDD in my desktop and one of the same size Samsung T3. When I use a lib I copy it from my NAS to the built in on the desktop. Prior to leaving my home for some days, I copy all of the in-use libs from the desktop to the T3. The same I do for work in progress on another T3. This way I always can start where I left, even when I'm not at home but on my laptop. The synchronisation tasks are done automatically (with Goodsync) when I plugin the T3's to the desktop.

But you are totally right. The libs go up in size literally on a monthly basis. Using only SSDs would get too pricey.
    And as long as you are comfortable with HHDs there's no need for a change.:wink:

But in my case, I had two bigger HDDs dead within one week (oh, I was really angry), so I had to decide.

16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Really?
    I don't like portables much. They tend to almost work :yes:

17. peshti

peshti Member

Oh so there's a real 5.6.6. crack? I didn't find any except for mac :), hmmm i feel so close. Is there like a video tutorial for how to install symlink?

18. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

There's a 5.6.5 R2R and a 5.6.6 and a 5.6.8 symlink on the sister site. You can update to 5.6.5 with the R2R setup release and then copy the symlinks as described before. Good luck :)

19. peshti

peshti Member

I feel so stupid but what's the sister site? :)

Also is there any problems with created libraries with 5.6.6 ? I tried 5.6.8 and the libraries I had to create didn't work, the activate button came up.

20. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

You're right and have found the sister site ;), but they don't really like us to link uetv ("unofficial extended testing version") ;) so you better edit your post and delete the link, please :wink:

21. peshti

peshti Member

Ah sorry, I didn't find r2r though, just a symlink installer, I guess that's the wrong one?