Best Compressor

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by nikonos83, Jan 8, 2015.

1. nikonos83

nikonos83 Newbie

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for a good Software compressor for Symphonic Music, some tips about it?
    Which is the better?

Thanks

3. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Its really a personal taste, but its essencial that you use soft and clean settings.
    Ozone, fabfilter or l3 from waves :wink:

4. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

There are a lots of.. and i have some mixer presets too for strings but unfortunately people are not interested in my topic.

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/15933-presets-and-setups-sharing-area/page__p__105463__fromsearch__1#entry105463

5. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

I would go for optos. :)

6. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

how much do you want to spend or if not grab anything and try them all, you'll want something clean so find a opto compressor, google it and you'll find which are opto emulation's
    Best software compressors not due to be released untill a few weeks time and there's no option but to stick your hand in your pocket for this baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lqDwJbjtm8#t=21

use 2-1 ratio at most and don't set the threshold too low , you only want to catch the top 2db or so of your signal. its will be very transparent and the ear shouldn't hear that there's any noticable compression going on

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Symphonic music doesn't really want compression.

8. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Nimonos83,

I'll certainly make me some enemies out here :( ...but for 'real' Symphonic Music, I'll don't use any Compression, or maybe just a few (minimum) on the whole Project/Song (if really necessary !).
    'Symphonic Music' ('Symphonic Orchestra') may certainly be the style of Music that I'll compress the less, to keep the full dynamics/nuances,... of all the Instruments included in the Orchestra... *yes*

BUT that's my own opinion !!! *yes*

9. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

Waves JPP Strings is very cool, if he/she is looking for a good plug-in (to enhance sound) for strings.

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Ableton Compressor, well integrated in Ableton and does what i need. nothing to complex for me.

11. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

i used to play in orchestra (school daze). don't recall anyone in the back tweaking compressors to 'get the sound tight'...lol

Symphonic music should not be compressed b/c u want the PURE sound of all the instruments involved...but there are no rules in music, and working ITB changed a lot of standards.

but if it works for you, then i'd go with any comp that doesn't color the sound...unless that's what u want, of course.

good luck!
    :wink:

12. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

You shouldn't use compression on standard orchestral music, or very little of it. Only if you're going for that hardcore hybrid trailer sound with lots of synths and heavy percussions, then pushing the limiter into the red for the heaviest parts can be nice :thumbsup:

13. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

elysia mpressor

14. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Your mixer presets are DAW specific, so that may be an answer why you catch only few people attention. If you share a vst compressor preset, then everyone who's got this compressor could be interested.

Beside, sharing compressor presets, may only give a clue, because compression depends so much about the source.

About classical music, it can be compressed at the mastering stage, only the minimum necessary to adapt to the targeted support.
    Obviously, if your doing say, neo-classical music for action movie, this is a different situation, and you may compress how ever you like.

I've been told that many classical records are mastered using Magix Sequoia, so you may try Magix compressors plugins.

15. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I don't see why not to use compression,I know its all about dynamic range in that particular style but eve do I don't do orchestral music,

if I did I think I can not resist to us it, ratios of 1.2 1.3 are not very uncommon,

remember no musician is perfect everybody makes mistakes, even we, the technicians make mistakes! Yes we do! *yes*
    think about Mic positioning, artist positioning, environmental influences, coughing, breathing ticking

which leads me to another thing, well the same thing but the other way around: Expending!

and last but not least add some gates to while your at it :rofl:

16. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

DensitymkIII freeware....very transparent
    why no fet compressor?what means opto actual?

17. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

i kno twq comps one after the other is nonsense in technician sight but i have a masterchain in some project:
    glue live9 then ssl channel and another waves and some other stuff and it sounds great.....hehe i kno what you thinking...this dumb noob..lol isn it

18. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

Symphonic Music in cinematic style or real music, lol?
    Opto compressor as mentioned is a good choice, Aquamarine from Acustica must be nice I guess ... (IK Multimedia T-Racks has one, but can`t say anything about it`s quality ... r2r release available). I would experiment with parallel & mb compression as well, just because experimenting is the way ... Defenitly keeping it transparent & subtle on the mixing stage, rather leave it to mastering and outboard gear (if possible) to give it the desired impact & loudness.

19. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Opto means optical. This type of compressors are very smooth and do not color the sound compared to FET. Given that you want an invisible touch in classical music, they're probably the best choice after the classical fader automation.

20. cs2014

cs2014 Noisemaker

I already know know they are DAW specific but it doesn't matter as i said there, you can even share your own NI Kontakt patches, your custom setups etc. I usually change default settings of the VST presets while making mixer presets :)

21. nikonos83

nikonos83 Newbie

The problem is that i'm a conductor and sometimes I record my execution with a little digital stereo recorder. I cannot leave the recorder in correct position for recording and sometimes I need to put it near orchestra or on a side of the stage. In this way some instruments are louder and i need something for equilibrate sound. With equalizer is impossible because a lot of instruments use the same pitch range.
    Thanks for response,
    If you have other tricks for that... answer plz :D
    good bye