Best choice in drummachines

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by bwem, Nov 26, 2012.

1. bwem

bwem Newbie

The question on my mind:
    Which one should I buy:
    Yamaha
    or
    Roland
    It's to ad to an acoustic kit so I should be able to play with sticks on it, that's why I came up with these two.

Anyone experience with these? :bow:

3. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

why you want a hardware one? i personally go with drum racks in ableton and its quite forward when traveling or just changing your place for a few days.

ok i see you wanna play with sticks on it - well then the 2nd one because it looks more fresh imo.

4. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

Roland

5. m9cao

m9cao Producer

ableton, maschine

6. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I have used Both Roland and Yama Hammers as banks for external triggers in live situations and the studio, and they both do just fine. Figure which one is easiest and most intuitive for you to control in a stage environment, and responds best to your trigger pads, and go with that. Because after you have access to a few thousand sounds to trigger, what difference does it make? You can always find more sounds to put in there. As far as brand or type of pads to use as a trigger, my ultimate goal would be a MalletKat. After that, for a more basic pad set, I always had a personal preference for Roland. But as drummer I would still rather hit an acoustic drum and put a MIDI trigger on that, because like sex without a condom, it just feels better.

7. bwem

bwem Newbie

Awesome stuff that MalletKat, pretty proper ultimate goal Algae, a cheaper alternative to that one is Xylosynth and that one has a more acoustic feel to it.
    I think I'll go save up for that one :wink:
    Still, it would indeed be a little cumbersome to put next to a big kit like mine, so in this instance it wouldn't do the trick.

I want to trigger my own sounds and songs to be able perform my electronic productions together with my own live drums.
    It needs to be able to combine a proper standalone sampler functionality as well as just a trigger for Live.
    I work a lot in a studio with lots of Roland gear and I just love the brand but the SPD-SX seems to have limited editing on external samples.
    The DTX-m12 seems capable of multi layered editing of imported samples and the like but I've heard reports of it being tricky to handle and program.
    So both have some restrictions, thats's why I asked for a user experience check :)

I'll indeed just try these and will post my findings.