Best Audio Editors x64?

Discussion in 'Software' started by fleschdnb, May 12, 2014.

1. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

I have used Sonci foundry/Sony Sound Forge for at least 10 years. I know it inside and out. I can only find SF11 the 32bit version cracked though, and it doesnt look like anyone is gonna crack SF11 x64, so I am looking for another one. Audition? Cant find it either. I used that a couple times when it was Cool Edit and didnt like it much..

Dont want a x86 editor, becuase I only install x64 versions of my plugins. I like to keep my computers organized and uncluttered I guess..

What Audio editors does everyone use?

I know I can edit audio straight in my DAW like S1 or whatever, but when I edit, I usually edit lots of files at once, like single snares, etc.. I like going to a completely different environment when I edit, like Soundforge, etc where I can really see the wave file with little effort, no clutter, etc.

I may just be oldschool, I dunno.

Needs to have VST and x64 support of course. Ive looked all around, and havnt really seen any new ones in the past few years which I find to be a little wierd, so I figure everyone is editing inside their DAWS.

I have tried Wavasaur, which is a free Soundforge clone, and it works well, but in my experience, it unrecoverably crashed too often, which is unnacceptable. If I spend 4 hours on a snare - I tend to cry and beat my children if I lose it.

Many thanks for any answers on this.

3. Teletoby

Teletoby Member

Adobe Audition, one of the best! :wink:

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I also like Wavosaur a lot because it's so small and fast, the ideal editor to launch from within a DAW.
    It hasn't crashed once for me but maybe it's because I don't use VSTs in the editor.
    Without knowing exactly what you want in an audio editor, it's hard to recommend a specific one.
    SoundForge, Audition, WaveLab - all are good choices, and like Toby, I got stuck with Audition.
    When it comes to editing many files, I don't do that manually at all, I like to automate things with sox and the like.

5. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

Well, I'll be damned. Soundforge has not even released a 64bit version yet. I guess that is why I could never find one. Thats what I get for assuming. I assumed that in 2014 a program geared at pro-audio would at least have a 64bit version so you dont have to install 32bit doubles of all of your VST plugins. That is crazy!

So now I am testing Audition, since Wavelab latest version x64 doesnt appear to be crackable (or at least its not on audioz or kat)

Thanks for the replies. If anyone else has any ideas, please give me a heads up, Thanks!

6. dadarkman

dadarkman Producer

Adobe Audition went x64 as of CC version. Both Mac and PC can be found on Audioz.
    My two cents: Besides Wavelab, there's no touching Audition and Sound Forge in the audio editing world. A bunch of names gonna come up but I've seen and compare them all. They have their strength and weakness obviously. However, Audition, Sound Forge and Wavelab are three kings on top of the hill :)

7. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Audition is great, only problem is with 3rd party plugins, some works some not, but it's pure x64

8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

RX3 beats all editors' asses in editing, restoration, cleaning! VST Support =)

9. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

If you were oldschool then you wouldn't mind a 32bit app.
    Anyway, audio editors are usually run as standalone, and shouldn't matter if 32 or 63bit.

Audacity: Look in the Download for Windows, mentions about 64-bit compatibility.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Others to consider:
    CWITEC - TX16Wx Software Sampler *64-bit
    Steinberg - Wavelab *64-bit
    Acon Digital - Acoustica
    FMJ-Software - Awave Studio
    Goldwave
    Sony - Sound Forge

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Goldwave 6.00 :guitarhero: :headbang:

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Wavelab

12. dadarkman

dadarkman Producer

RX3 beats what, who in editing?
    Let's get one simple FACT out: RX3 is NOT and audio editing program. Whether it is for mixing or broadcasting purposes, "editing" and "restoration" have clear different purposes. They can be combined for a job, but they are not meant to substitute each other. Izotope itself has never billed RX3 an "editing" program.
    RX3 can be a valuable add-on to an editing program but it CAN'T entirely replace an editing program like Sound Forge or Wavelab. As a matter of fact, Sony has a competing software to RX3 called Spectralayers Pro which becomes a sidekick for Sound Forge. RX3 and SpectraLayers Pro fall purely in the "Audio Restoration" category without ever mentioning "editing". A good portion of what RX3 can do, is already built in Audition and Wavelab by default. However, on the opposite, RX3 can ONLY do restoration and have no necessary "editing" features built in.
    So, if the OP's request is understood, he is asking first for an "editing" program; RX3 would only be able to do a third of the job. He would still need to call in another program for pure editing.

13. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Problems is at the vst side... when you move to x64 system and delete all x32 plugins (as I do, except some only x32) then you can't use x32 Editor :)
    I use Audition CC and only vst3 plugins, they are scanned correctly. All main mastering plugins have vst3 support (waves, izotope, etc...)

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Isn't SF 64 bit?

15. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

Unfortunately, No. SF is only 32 bit. As Nikon stated, once you go to a 64 bit system, you don't need nor want 32bit plugs cluttering your Program files x86 folder, so you don't install them. Since everything I use is x64. Unfortunately, x64 plugs dont show up on a x32 editor. That's why it makes no sense to try to stick with a x86 only editor like Soundforge. I would have to have 64 and 32 bit versions of every plug installed, and that makes for a mess, and a bunch of problems I don't have time to deal with.

However, I did find Audition 6 CC, and after configuring the way it looks graphically, I could not be more happy. Just the fade curves built into the wave editing window alone is heaps more intuitive than what I was doing with SF (graphic fades via SF Plugin).

My search is over. Thank you all so much for taking the time out of your days to give me some idea's!

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Am I missing something?

From the Sony website .. "Record up to 32 simultaneous channels of 64-bit/192 kHz audio for the ultimate in fidelity."

17. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

That is just the bitrate/sample depth of the audio it can record. You know, like 24bit/192 khz, or 16bit 44.1khz, etc.. It has nothing to do with the architecture of the program itself. You cannot run 64-bit plugins in soundforge because it is only x86.

18. ZypKode

ZypKode Newbie

Audition CS6 works for me.