Best AntiVirus Software 2024

Discussion in 'PC' started by olson, Jun 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

It seems you might be reading way between the lines? Or did I miss posts from other people? I brought it up but acknowledged it was a rumor, and that knowing it was just a rumor, I switched away from it. Why? It could be a false rumor, yes. However, there is no harm in me dropping it just in case the allegations are true. I am not locked into any AV software.. Theres no reason for me to maintain loyalty. Can change AV programs for whatever reason I see fit.

So that's what I did. I found a different av that works just as well for me. No harm in that. I'm not here advocating people need to drop Kaspersky. I'm not saying the allegations were 100% verifiably true. I just simply said I switched because I have no real reason to stick with Kaspersky and run the risk that employees there actually did overstep their bounds before the company applied safeguards.

I really could not care less if people want to stay with Kaspersky or not, or if they believe the rumor from then or not. Just pointing out what made me switch from Kaspersky to something different. Also, not everyone knows about that story around Kaspersky, so I figured I'd point it out, and let people make their own decision about it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  2. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Oh, quite the contrary, I wasn't talking about you but rather addressing other commentaries I read here (like Shirvami1 commentary) and other forums regarding the whole NSA drama. You're good, I think people should be aware of all those situations but I find the "this company is Russian, it's all made in some shady country, Kaspersky sells your info" type of commentary to be quite misleading. At least it took me a while to be curious enough to read about it instead of just parrot it and it's a deeper and fascinating subject.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Ahh OK, my mistake, thanks Djord :)

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Just in case, don't check "I want to participate in the Kaspersky User Experience Improvement program" :rofl:
    Well, you can change Kaspersky for almost all companies/programs: Windows, Google, Kontakt, iZotope plugins...

5. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

I used vpn set it to russia and got this, seems to be the truth of the problem lol

Attached Files:

6. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

Guys, you should really think of getting rid of AV apps and let your maschines to take a breath of fresh air.
    The virus/malware was a real threath back in the 90's because technology was still in its adolescence. Those days are gone. People getting a virus are very few compared to that period and it's not because AVs getting better. They are pretty much the same as they were.
    It's because a lot of bad guys lost interest in screwing up some regular dudes. Too much work for a pretty dissapointing return.
    I know how worrisome can be abandoning the "protection" idea cause I've been there. Back in the days the AV installation was the first thing after Win install. I felt I was totaly naked without AV on the internet. A feeling of near and certain cyber attack.
    I don't even know how long I'm without AV and the cyber attack never came. Never had a virus. I'm still checking once in a while with Autoruns Virus Total and offline Malwarebytes scan.
    Let me introduce my habbits.
    I'm torrenting since forever,
    Browsing any webpage (with uBlock) I want,
    Sistersite of course.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. droplet

droplet Rock Star

I use a disposable for internet, but if you're a subversive good guy you might want to keep a low profile. It would be nice to not have any identifiers, or to be able to provide identity when you need it. Identity Wall with coded Door.

I suspect that all my computer problems ( practicly zero) have been my own fault.

8. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

You brought up a very important issue because it is more likely that people going to be scammed by social engeneering than the virus itself.

9. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

I use kaspersky and i love it, previously i used eset internet security, i think they r on the same level .I use the paid version of kaspersky but the free version i s good too and both the aformetnioned antiviruses are way less annoying that avast or avg

10. Richard Y

Richard Y Noisemaker

IMHO (as a PC Tech) the best combo is Windows MS Defender and Paid Malwarebytes.

11. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I have a free copy of the paid version of Malwarebytes from my bank but I suspect Windows Defender is just as good and in fact it seems to bug me less (I'm aware this may be a good or bad thing). When you say a combo with the paid version of Malwarebytes do you mean for real-time monitoring? If so how do you set it up to work with Windows Defender?

12. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

If you have MalwareBytes premium, don't bother with Windows Defender (it should automatically turn off when MB is on, and automatically turn on when MB is shut off, however - THIS is good, and maybe what the OP meant). Choose one or the other. Personally, I have MalwareBytes premium and it works great for me. You don't really want to have more than one enabled though, as *sometimes* they can conflict with each other and give you some issues. As long as you have something that regularly updates, there isn't really going to be a need for more than one anyways.

Edit: I should clarify: I am saying don't have two different real-time scanners. Pick one. I personally use Windows' firewall + MB for real-time scanning.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  13. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I do have the Premium version.

There is a 'feature' in Windows 10 security settings where you can use Defender alongside a different AV but it doesn't actually say what it does. The one thing I would like to have is the context menu for Defender back so I can scan a file, that's removed when you use a different AV.

I still need to read the latest test results regarding which is currently better but I suspect Malwarebytes will have the edge.

14. Richard Y

Richard Y Noisemaker

You need both.

Windows Defender will still run as it also provides firewall, app/browser control and so on.
    Once you install Malwarebytes, that will become the main (rea-time live) scanner for the most critical of today's exploits which is ransomware - there are far few real viruses today.

15. dex saja

dex saja Newbie

16. boomoperators

boomoperators Kapellmeister

I've been using the same method for years now. NO active antivirus on the system + Tinywall/Simplewall firewall.
    When a scan is needed, i boot up a PE on an USB and use those various free scanners (sometimes it can be the manufacturer's ISO itself like Kaspersky Rescue Disk for exemple).
    Here is the list:

17. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

This is actually what I do, and I've clarified my point above. I use MalwareBytes for real-time scanning (NOTHING else on top of that), but use Windows Defender for its firewall. That's always enabled, but the real-time scanning of Defender is disabled while my MB's real-time scanning is enabled. I mistakenly focused on the real-time scanning piece in my original post above only as I thought that was more what this thread was regarding.

18. iw

iw Producer

I use Microsoft Defender and scan once a month with Malwarebytes and haven't had problems from 8 years, but only install R2R stuff. :wink::headbang:

19. Sacculus

Sacculus Kapellmeister

I only use Ubuntu Linux with MullvadVPN pay with XMR Monero for all internet related things, and on a second partion a Windows just for music production and eventually browsing the web just if I need a quick information audio related.
    Please stop thinking all theses tricks will help stay under radar or not leaking your data. MS is a nightmare but if you are not ready to take a Linux (even if it's pretty simple today when it's just for internet purposes) at least use a VM (virtual machine).

Just for the story I learn OpSec for other purposes and downloading warez is not priority for Law Enforcement (they have secret tools and zero day hack that none of any public programs will block)

Don't want to put a panick attack to my comorades but I think the purpose of AV is to analyse activity non stop just imagine the thread menace you get expose to when they have all your activity... sorry but sometimes Im asking to myself just for jocking if they are not already able to know what inside my mind even before Im myself aware and conscious of what comes to me??? predictive, deductive, neurological logical can put your ass on the floor... Everybody who what is IRM it detects activity in a brain without even need to touch your skin...

Pegasus was a good job the Mosad develop to infect any devices computer embedeb system without the victim having to clic anything or touch his device, just being connect on something with EM is vulnerable even a bluetooth, or any electro field like a phone near your other devices...

We must think about anti intelligence response :

LOOK THIS IS NOT SCI FI: it's anonymousplanet so that it like you can because it's really deep deep on security but don't trust AV (p.376)

https://anonymousplanet.org/

its legit even if we are not priorts targets at least open eyes is not to be blind

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  20. clone

clone Audiosexual

in the Mac thread we have a guy who can't break into a computer he has purchased and is sitting right in front of him physically.