Best analyzer vsts + Eq, Dynamic... curves and models

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by metaller, Jul 26, 2017.

1. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Can you suggest best analyzer vsts that help you during the mix or mastering process.
    like frequency , panning , dynamics ,.... ( I know ear is the best but assume I'm deaf,lol)

And can you suggest best Eq , Dynamic ,... curves, models, model track, to get start the mixing or mastering process by cheating of them. And actually how to use them?

I have lots of reference tracks that basically I want to use ( lot's of metal and rock songs) to mix 5 main instruments : heavy guitars , clean guitars , bass , drums, keyboards or pads and rarely a vocal : I record my guitars , and I use vsti for drums or maybe bass if I hadn't a real one in that situation
    Which tools do you use to do this? Which parameters and with which tool do you see them to match them with your tracks?

I usually don't know my goal in mix and mastering. Actually , I usually just play with some vst to get a sound that is good or better. but I don't know where I reach my goal. I want some models to set as my goal for the process

I'm not a mix expert;just a songwriter that mix my own songs.
    My genre is metal, rock, instrumental and orchestral pieces.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  3. virusg

virusg Rock Star

well youshould definetely look for someone that does the same and master your own songs ...reference tracks of your genere is the best way to compare your sound ...best is subjective but in genereal if you have good monitoring, good room acustics, panels and stuff you shoud be okay to mix and master your own tracks, maybe not like a pro but you will be close ...

4. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

5. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Best is subjective, depends on what you like, what you want to do with a tone, and how comfortable you are with the interface. There is also the issue of what you can afford if anything different will yield results any different than what you would have gotten otherwise.

Voxengo Span, is free and is quite useful. Once you understand what you want, and how to get it there are many other metering and visualization suites (though if you know how to modify the settings one is all you need.) I myself am partial to DMG's Dualism for being able to change variables on the fly and the capability of having bendy loudness meters next to an analyzer.

6. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

In response to "best is subjective" : I have lots of reference tracks that basically I want to use ( lot's of metal and rock songs) to mix 5 main instruments : heavy guitars , clean guitars , bass , drums, keyboards or pads and rarely a vocal : I record my guitars , and I use vsti for drums or maybe bass if I hadn't a real one in that situation
    Which tools do you use to do this? Which parameters and with which tool do you see them to match them with your tracks?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Compressors plugin compressor I like and use 90% of the time:

Logic's compressor
    Emperical Lab's Arousor
    FabFilter Pro C2
    MOTU's MW Compressor
    DMG Compassion
    Lindell 7X-500

EQ

Hofa IQ-EQ
    FabFilter Pro Q2
    Sly-Fi Axis Eq
    PSP E27
    Lindell PEX-500
    Magg Eq4

Channel Strip

Bx_console
    Lindell 6X-500
    Dp9 Channel Strip plugins

I use a few external compressors and equalizers as well, some 500 series stuff and some old things that I like, am not certain any of that is relevant so am not going to list any of it. The above can cover any style, and genera that exists or that you can conceive of, but it is what I like, what you like can be very different. Outside Logic's and DP9 built in effects the above is list is all I have, I've never been a believer in having tons of stuff for different reasons. Stuff either works for me or doesn't. I like to demo some stuff here and there when it is possible to see if I get something from it, most of the time I pass and uninstall. The mojo is usually in the playing and capture part, if you need to force something in the mixing section and you are making your own music you are going to end up chasing you tail most of the time.

Cheers man.

MZ

8. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

Thanks every body I still appreciate more answers.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

I’m afraid there’s no simple answer to your request. Best equipment?
    - To each their own.
    - If you know how to use it, the equipment doesn’t matter much.

For Analysers: using them is not a solution if you don’t know how to mix.
    You can’t copy a waveform and expect it to sound the same as your reference track. It’s music, not a drawing.

I guess Andrew Scheps or Pensado also don’t know upfront where their mix will lead to, but they have the craft
    and knowledge of their tools to create what they want, plus lots of experience.

There are too many how-to tuts, just pick a few and start practising. And practising, and practising..
    I was impressed with a post from a while back where ‘guru’ Spencer Lee guided subGENRE mixing a rocktrack:
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/local-rock-band-im-recording.24129/
    By careful reading the thread & comparing the passes.. you will learn more than any Analyser will..

10. C7

C7 Member

Best Answer
    I really like the FabFilter's line of plugins. They have a really helpful analyzers and visuals built into all of their mixing plugins. From time to time I will also use several strictly analyzer plugins by Blue Cat Audio.

There is this freeware plugin I use called s(m)exoscope which is a handy waveform visualization plugin. I find it quite useful for seeing a visual of how much I am squashing a track or mix with compression.

Voxengo SPAN Plus is an intriguing plugin in that you can load it on multiple tracks and see all the individual frequency spectrums and how they all interact with each other, which may help you make some mixing choices.

If you use any plugins that simulate analog hardware then you should use a VU meter to insure you are feeding the proper levels to the plugins; I find myself using PSPaudioware PSP TripleMeter a lot for this purpose as well as for tracking to get the most out of my digital to analog convertors.

You could try using Fabfilter Pro-Q2 and using the EQ Match feature to create an equalizer curve that matches a reference track, that is similar to your track, to get you in the ball park. Then use some good vintage EQ simulation (Neve, API, SSL) to apply those boosts and cuts to your track.
    Code:
    https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-q/using/eqmatch
    If you are feeling really lazy just load up iZotope Ozone and slap some preset on your track. You will likely have to adjust several parameters though, mostly the dynamics, to get the most out of the preset though.

Reference tracks are your friend! And try not to get into the time wasting habit of blindly going into a mix not knowing what you want to accomplish. Try to form an image of what you want your song to sound like in your mind before you load any plugin or tweak any settings. You have likely listened to enough songs in your genre in your life time to know what makes a good and bad mix.

You should probably consider brushing up on your mixing skills also unless you want your mixes to sound amateurish. There are plenty of Groove3 courses out there that only take a few hours of your time.

There are these "Ultimate Guide to ..." books out there by a company called GTPS (Get That Pro Sound) as well which contain a wealth of information that would help the beginner mixer. Each are only about 30 pages and would only take an hour or so to read through. There is one for bass, compression, equalization, and reverb that I know of.