Best analogue synth emulations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, Feb 6, 2016.

1. clownothorns

clownothorns Noisemaker

Read through the comments and didn't see any mention of UVI Ultramini.. The filters on that thing are absolutely gorgeous. Diva is lovely as well.

2. Windows97

Windows97 Ultrasonic

The UVI plugins

3. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

actually the new update has a few different skins ( including a lovely blue one which looks very good). my only criticism is that it fills the screen completely , i wish it was a bit smaller. still, great synth..

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

the thing is, with analog you are talking hands on, hence nuance, expression, spontaneity.. to me it's a bit like the difference between a vinyl record and a DVD. one is tactile, dynamic with some grit or instability, the other is flawless and sort of flatter somehow... the record is an 'artifact' , the DVD not so much... that being said, i used to own a roland compuphonic synth and an sh101 and must confess the roland 'plugouts' sound fantastic.

5. Soft_Ice

Soft_Ice Ultrasonic

G-Force Oddity 2 http://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/oddity2

It's on sale at the moment. Expensive, I know, but reachable and more than worth the money.

I've been using it since the first version, probably about a decade ago actually.

It is killer for bass. It does sub bass, it does wub wub bass, it just does bass, better than almost everything else. It also does some very nice spacey weird stuff due to its sample and hold feature. Plus the new version can modulate this with that to a silly extent. Plus the new version is polyphonic as opposed to duophonic like the original.

I can honestly say that this little monster does pads that would make any analog synth feel ashamed. It's opened up a whole new world. Take advantage of this deal if you can, coz they don't do sales very often.

There is smoothness in this plugin, there is grit, there is randomness, there is beauty. In a way, I like it even more than my Imposcar 1 and 2.

I liked them all so much, I bought them. In fact, I plan on buying a couple more from Dave and the boys. You get good no nonsense customer support. NO bullshit from these lads at all. They are direct and to the point, and you know where you stand. If they can help you out they will. If they can't, they will say. I respect them for that. No song and dance with these lads. Just the way I like it.

This is a truly astounding plugin. The preset management is a bit 'idiosyncratic' shall we say. But the fact you have a truly massive library of basses/leads/pads/fx to choose from, kind of makes up for it.

Really, if you can only afford one analog synth emu, than snap this beauty up (make sure you got good eyesight though, coz it's a bit small).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. To me analogue is more fun because I tend to think less when I am playing and seem to use intuition as the draw of my creativity. Even if I tie up knobs and sliders with my controller my mind keeps my eyes continually drifting back to the monitor and drawing resources away from the moment. The same holds true for me when it comes to outboard gear. I listen more, think less, hit that sweet spot and then I'm done. With plug-ins I am thinking, thinking maybe it isn't perfect and if I just tweak it 1 millisecond slower...I never seem satisfied and keep thinking. I don't wanna think, I want to react. I cannot seem to find the same flow.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

My opinion is, that soft synths on average that were made before like 2010, 2009 or say at the begining, when software synths really start to show off, simply sound more authentic, to me better. It seems there is a lot less processing going on back then, just raw sound, like you expect from real analog gear. The newest toys are just great with posssibilities they have, but are just so lifeles and sound so compressed out of the box, compared to old boys, which have that natural 3d roughnes and openes of sound textures itself and are more dynamic.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

Oh dear, that analog warmth and roughness of vintage... soft synths... :hahaha:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Tealla

Tealla Kapellmeister

10. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Will that do or i need to call him personally?:rofl:
    [​IMG]

Now seriously what i can hear from some older soft synths is simply closer to hardware for me than most new stuff.

11. Mladbambuk

Mladbambuk Noisemaker

Eh, all synths can sound analogue, if you detune and add some noise... There is some guy on youtube that it's kind of renown as the best preset programmer for realistic sounds on synths. He has some nice remakes of tracks by Vangelis and Jarre only using FM8. It doesn't matter what synth do you use, if the end result is good.

12. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Thought id offer a different approach >>>Superwave Tarkus has quite a genuine kinda overall tone to it all in my book....As does much of the superwave stuff...
    But lacking in the fx department, That said idve thought the purists amongst you guys would quite like the superwave series ..
    Well they must be good if jm,jarre Supposedely used em before...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  13. Tealla

Tealla Kapellmeister

Do you have a link?

14. Tealla

Tealla Kapellmeister

Jarre uses Superwaves stuff? That's the first I've heard of it!

15. Mladbambuk

Mladbambuk Noisemaker

Check also his other videos.

16. IllBert

IllBert Producer

I love the old impOSCar.

17. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

btw I SaId about jarre using or having used em coz of both an article on vsts down to this sort of topic in an old sound on sound or something similar....And also the info and sales shpeil for the vst bundle itself made a point to mention it or something along those lines....so i thought id offer a different option than the norm " I think it was for only a certain 3 or so vsts out of the bundle ,and im certainly not saying that those vsts he uses on a regular basis or anything ,Thought id clarify that its just a thing i read.." .. ......I also found myself quite liking V statiion too actually ,Looks like the old nova but weather the aeshetics and sound were to mimic it im unsure but expect so ...And as mentioned imposcars really good too , I use that quite alot for pads/atmos ....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016