Best analogue synth emulations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, Feb 6, 2016.

1. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Best hardware vs. VA comparison video I've ever seen. That's how you do it. I must buy this! Too bad I have -$34 in my bank account this week. :rofl:

Yeah, I spent a long time trying to find a satisfactory plugin instrument or sample instrument to replace my stolen D50 but ended up just buying another one because nothing currently out there sounds like it.

Binary Music released their LA-50 (Roland D-50 tribute) Kontakt instrument for about 10 minutes before Roland and/or Persing flexed their muscle and had it pulled. I wanted to purchase it from Binary Music but I wasn't quick enough. Looked like they did a really nice job.

You can read Persing's comments in this old Synthtopia Facebook post about the "instrument":
    www.facebook.com/Synthtopia/posts/10151989534401956

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

like the gforce stuff: impOSCar, MiniMonsta, Oddity (best effect per cpu cycle i'd say), the Roland Plug-Out System-100 is lovely ...
    the OP-X Pro <3
    _ but a proper DAC in first place to get that gooseback sound

3. erminardi

erminardi Kapellmeister

4. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Speaking of vintage emulations, for those who enjoy DX-style FM, check out DEXED. It's free, open-source, can load DX7 sysex patches and banks, and you can even use it as an editor for your hardware DX7 should you have one. I've only just started playing with it today but so far I like what I hear.

http://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

@erminardi, not all of us are currently living in Japan. Okay for moving DLL's, it's very user friendly!

6. Tealla

Tealla Kapellmeister

Well you either put up with that shit, or you buy yourself one of the worst pieces of shit ever to come from software. It's no secret that the early Arturia synths, particularly the ARP sound pathetic in comparison to a real analog synthesizer, especially the ones they purport to emulate.

You are far better of with any of the modern subtractives if that is the synthesis type you want to use, because the Arturia ARP cannot offer you anything worth noting. If however you want something much closer to an ARP emulation, still not perfect of course, then try the TimewARP2600. It has a very alive sound, that creates unexpected results and inspires experimentation.

- The glitches in the YT video came from it being CPU hungry on older processors, prior to about 2008. Doesn't happen nowadays.

- The Air versions have no copy protection.

- Yeah it is expensive, it always was. Back when it came out, each Arturia synth cost even more, for the pieces of shit that they really are.

Btw, only the latest Arturia synths, like Sem, Matrix, Vox, Wul, Solina are worth being called emulations. The previous stuff is a far cry, embarrassingly dead and plastic sounding, especially their filter, they have some of the worst filters on the planet.

Try the TimewARP, you won't be disappointed at all. ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

wobble bass sound from my ass, nigh time and early morning ^^

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. MozartEstLa

I'm unemployed guy, no job (except temporary, but rare and short periods), I'm not rich, often -200 euros on my account bank every end of month (during ten days), I'm not a professional about music/C.M. but assuming I'm a "geek" and mainly C.M. enthusiast hobbyist, playing keyboard only at home, no published prods (=sh*ts) live performance only from my old (robust) MIDI controller... I'm testing ton of softwares, plugins, banks etc, mainly for knownledge, I'm curious by nature, also for sharing or help other members here (when I can do it, when my knowledge is enough strong about related product), but for regular usage, I'm using legit products and freeware (all are described in my signature). BTW I don't have any problem with my conscience. Sure C.M. is very expensive in particular for simple hobbyist like many of us here (expensive like flight simulation - FSX addons, arcade/pinball cabinets, motocycle, car collection, and so on).

9. MozartEstLa

Unique by Sugar Bytes (thanks to my friend OhmStudyo member :mates:) I've forgot this synth! Very cool YT videos (links from Unique page)

10. MozartEstLa

Okay, following your advice, thanks... I've said maybe an alternative.

What's exactly the Air versions? found them on "sister" site, but x86 unfortunately (must be bridged), old 2010 version (same 1.4.1 found on audion*ws trackr)... but okay, I'll try it because I'm curious guy, I can use it in sandbox Win7 x64 OS (see my signature, even TLTR sorry), assuming only douchebags never change their opinion (it's a French expression, translated "as is" to English).

Thanks Tealla because you permit me to discover this synth (they're ton of synths, impossible to know about all of them, hope you'll share my opinion).

About Arturia synths and Yamaha CS-80 emulation (CS-80V) really I prefer shareware ME80v2.2 by Memorymoon (40 euros) instead. By using Arturia VSTi, I can't play Vangelis themes what I'd like, but I can do it easily with ME80v2.2 => surely you're right!

11. MozartEstLa

Maybe an interessing tip about recent update concerning OP-X PRO-II (for x64 Windows and MacOS X), the new version (current is v1.2.2) is build around VST3 SDK: by this way, "Program Change" MIDI events are ignored (VST3 specification - thanks again Steinberg - as explained in PDF manual).

However the developer have added a feature who permit to assign a CC (MIDI Learn) to set related program number in plugin eg by using knob. It's a very rare feature (many VST2 synths dont support Program Change or by using "complex techniques" like u-he dedicated folder).

Also changing program (now from your assigned knob) have a short delay (0.5 s) before to be effective in synth (to avoid change flood), and program is really changed as soon as silence is detected (it's useful to avoid nasty noises), really it's a brillant feature implementation, IMO!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

GForce Oddity 2 does sound very analog too, I wonder why still so many claim that digital instruments couldn't come close enough to analog hardware in terms of sound (not feel!)
    There are a few blind tests that prove that we're there today!
    I own analog synths because they're sexy, not because virtual instruments wouldn't sound good enough.
    The listener wouldn't care in the end, but I'd have so much more fun playing them :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

Dev is looking to change gui after listening to feedback

14. Actually two because beside the Gefell UMT 70S I bought an m930 as it was a really good price. Had to send the 70 back to the factory to get the black one instead and it will be here by the end of the month. Sharing is caring time in April:excl: :speaker:

15. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Hey, I'm totally cool with everything you've said - we're very much in the same boat it seems. I hope I didn't say anything earlier that read to the contrary.
    Not that I can complain. My bank account might be in the red this week, and I might be behind on a couple of bills, but at the end of the day I'm living a middle-class Canadian lifestyle so I know I'm a very lucky guy.
    I too enjoy "trying out" a lot of software, but have slowly made an effort to purchase the things I depend on. Luckily for me I use a lot of SKnote and Airwindows plugins so they aren't too difficult to buy one-by-one, now and then. The big one I'm still saving for (poorly) is Equilibrium. I wish I could find another EQ I like as much, but so far I haven't. I have a clear conscience about using it in the meantime because I know I'll buy it when I can afford it. Equilibrium is a perfect example of a plugin that I would never have purchased had it not been cracked first, thus giving me a very long time to get to know it and fall in love with it.

And getting back on topic ... I think the TAL Bassline 101 is a very good emulation of the SH101 for only $60, and I gotta give props to Roland for the sound of their System100 plugin (I refuse to call it a plugout). I was very sad the day I had to sell my hardware System 100-101 to pay some vet bills. It had the ballsiest raw oscillator tone of anything I've ever owned. The Roland System 100 plugin actually comes close, which is itself a treat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. returnal

returnal Rock Star

That's good. To be honest I judged a book by its cover and didn't bother to investigate ArcSyn at all after one look at the GUI.

17. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

ArcSyn does actually sound really good to me. And I am not too bothered about the GUI either. Monark seems pretty good too.

With so many soft synths out there now though, I am surprised no company have made a controller that can save different mappings for different synths etc that is affordable. Novation tried with their Nocturnal plugin controller but seems a tad restrictive and need more knobs and a better layout. The Nektar P1 is probably what's come the closest so far though.

Surely someone is going to be releasing something soon as playing with soft synths on hardware making them feel more 'real' would be pretty awesome!

18. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Thanks for the tip! I had never heard of Memorymoon products before but I'm going to checkout the ME80v2.1. I've never gotten along with the Arturia CS80v, so it would be great to find an enjoyable CS80 emu. If I like it they'll get my $40 ... eventually.

19. MozartEstLa

I'll try it! really I don't like GUI, but...

This topic permits to discover two another excellent VA synths: Dagger and Sunrizer (both from BeepStreet)

20. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

Dagger is the shit. I like beeper too