Best analogue synth emulations?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Calmond

Calmond Ultrasonic

I absolutely adore Diva, OP-X Pro II, FM8, Minimonsta and Polysix.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus Producer

As someone who owns a whole lot of real analog synths, the biggest difference for me is the filter sweeps on the analog gear are infinite,
    they glide uniformly, on soft synths you get the inevitable stairstep effect, no matter how small, it is noticeable. Other than that, they sound pretty awesome. ( and they do not weigh 50 pounds)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Tealla

Tealla Kapellmeister

All those mentioned so far by everyone else, but definitely excluding the early Arturia stuff, which is very bad - let alone as an emulation.

One synth not mentioned so far though, that sounded real good when it came out and still does to this day, is TimewARP2600.

There are a few others, like VAZ Modular, VAZ 2010, ABL Pro, SugarBytes Unique...

4. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Huh, didn't realize that OP-X Pro II had finally become available as AU! Finally I can check out what all the fuss is about!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. OP-X Pro-II. It really is that good to me tired old ears.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

It was my last bought, two days ago! (for x64 Windows 7) -
    It's fantastic Oberheim OX-B emulation, simulates also the Roland Jupiter-8
    BBCode problems in your message, Calibre... :yes: (you'll can edit it)
    Agree 100%, using OP-X Pro-II (v1.2.2 - x64) since couple of days, I'm enjoyed about this fuc... incredible synth (Oberheim OB-X, Jupiter-8). Tested other listed also are excellent choices. Perhaps Monark too, but Reaktor-dependent (CPU doesn't like), Vacuum Pro, PolySix, Ultra Analog VA-2. Considering u-he Bazille and BeepStreet Dagger. Using... freeware Kamiooka by g200kg (to explain to friends how VA synthesis & modular synths are working, and I like his sounds). Finally, I love DUNE 2 VA oscillators & filters (+ differential unison).

7. MozartEstLa

Yes, Sir! Actually costs -50% until end of month (85 euros, instead of 170), btw I've bought it couple of days ago, without hesitation! I'm enjoyed! Confirm existing now for x64 Windows (my platform) and MacOS X.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. MozartEstLa

Take a look here (hope you'll edit your post later - signed Kenobi ;)

If you can notice some difference between plugin and original hardware (OB-X), I'll vote: LIKE + AGREE + WINNER + INTERESSING + LOVING + USEFUL + CREATIVE... hardware modelling are near perfection (99.999999%). Same principle about retro arcade games emulations (MAME), it's "very close" perfection, but...

Now we're in 21st century, MS-DOS (and AdLib soundcards) are dead! most 20-30 years old electronic components are perfectly simulated on modern computers (you'll can trash your IBM PC-XT) :dunno:

The only "old hardware" (in date) can't be reproduced by algos remains the Roland D-50, because samples (located in ROMs) mostly used for attack remain licensed/property to Eric Persing, inventor of LAS concept (Linear Arithmetic Synthesis) - now he's Spectrasonics chairman - and he never want to publish (or sell) it, even to Roland (he's the patent owner)!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love it! x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  9. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Sometimes back I was also looking into this matter. Until now (to my ears) Arturia Oberheim sounds best analog-ish to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. iluvhiphop

iluvhiphop Guest

I fucking love TimewARP2600. One of my favs. Unique is super cool as well. Very very funky. I never saw the two others you mentioned. I'll check them out :)

11. MozartEstLa

Playing Vangelis themes such Blade Runner (End Titles) & Chariots of Fire (Titles, 5 Circles), Arturia's CS-80V2 is very good Yamaha CS-80 emulation, but strangely, I prefer Memorymoon's ME80v2.1 (v2.2 BIG).

12. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Who cares? The emulations are often more powerful/creative due to more flexibility.

Maybe I'm 'new-school' or whatever, but I sold most of my hardware and would rather use the likes of Diva, or even Omnisphere and Spire.

13. alexbart

alexbart Producer

The dsp based stuff from Sonic Core(former Creamware and Cw Audio) is now unpopular, but worth to be used.
    The modular synth has endless possibilities, real emulation of analogue hardware, also possible to interface with analogue and send and receive real cv signals and create hybrid synths, also the emulations of arp odyssey, prophet one, prophet 5, minimoog, the synths made by John Bowen(Solaris first version was made for this platform before the hardware release which is also based on the same dsp's).
    The latest dsp hardware(Xite-1) is a bit expensive, but you can run the synths even with used and cheap pci cards such as pulsar 2 and scope.
    This is difficult to understand for most of today modern producers, but if you can't afford real analogue synths and you want something with analogue character that sounds different from vst counterparts, then this is a good choice.
    I have 2 10 years old pc's equipped with the older pci cards, just to run the synths and the latest Xite-1 as my main audio card and lot of dsp power, it can only perform in real time, no accelerated render available, it's like using real hardware, also it has great effects such as compressors, eq's, etc. and interfaces with every asio compatible DAW, also can process in real time any audio source.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. m9cao

m9cao Producer

Developers doesnt know how to emulate real analog environment, no matter physic modeling, circuit emulation, none of them authentic
    Some day U-he Bazille released, a Digital modular synthesis,
    SO why we need analog emulate, back to digital world.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

hang in there old boy... I jez know dem ears is a gonna make big comeback... :guru:

what with that Gefell standing so proudly and all.... :winker:

16. MozartEstLa

Very interessing synth, but:

- Crackling sounds from YT demos, ok YT isn't perfect about audio quality, but it's not serious.
    - Seems to use iLok/PACE protection (SONiVOX) => for me, cleary it's NO, NON, NEIN, NIET (even for free!) - excepted AudioUTOPiA "remix" :rofl:- I don't want this piece of sh1t on my PC.
    - 199 bucks = too expensive for specific synth recreation, IMO, even alone aproved by blablabla...

Perhaps ARP2600V by Arturia may be a (good) alternative (for 99 euros) for same synth.

17. MozartEstLa

I don't agree (I mean - I don't share your opinion), sorry (but I don't vote "Disagree" however, it a discussion, an exchange place, IMO), digital sounds are too cold (it's the main reason I don't like Spire VSTi), many users are using old analog-style synths for warm & fat sounds, digital can't do it. Many argumentations about digital are welcome! don't forget analog are produced by "0 & 1" into your computer, it's digital world, arent?

18. erminardi

erminardi Kapellmeister

Roland "plugout" plugins, expecially the System-100
    +1 for Creamware/SonicCore systems

19. MozartEstLa

...Japanese installers (second button for English but it's caption is in... katakana/Jap! instead of "English")... I like experiment with synths, but not fight against installers!

Again about installers (all from Roland), the worse, inacceptable: you'll cannot select your VST plugin folder (even if declared in Registry keys), forced to install to C:\Program Files\VstPlugins, really I hate this! Roland = excellent hardware + crappy software (PLUG-OUTs are good, however). Roland's packager must be fired!

20. m9cao

m9cao Producer

digital can't do analog synth warm, that's right.
    In my opinion, if someone link the audio output to outer hardware effect, digital synth can produce analog sound too.

digital sound cold, not mean that sound bad.

at DAC process, everything converted to digital, yes,
    and more, before the process, there much more thing happened when you press a note on hardware synth(or any wave through hardware line).
    all sound effect got extreme low latency, all working in parallel, and more quantum physics happened?wtf, digital cannot do that.

To produce a soft, you should know real worlds logic, make them happen in digital, nobody can.
    That's what i mean, do what you really can.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List