Best AMD GPU for low DPC latency

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Kuuhaku, Mar 13, 2021.

1. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

i said nothing

2. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

I already disabled everything on audio options on this, but only unninstalling the nvidia driver works

Its strange because desabling Nvidia drivers goes away with the latency

3. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Since DPC latency is caused by drivers acting up, then that probably means your chipset drivers are fine in this regard. FWIW I've never seen chipset drivers cause DPC problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

So should I change for amd?

5. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Well, based on the previous thread, and this thread aswell, it looks like the Nvidia driver is the culprit. Especially since disabling the NV driver fixes the issue.

So if you have a chance to test a different card it is probably worth it. Can you get an AMD from a place that has a return policy?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Yeah, sure, I will get an rx 580 for $150 soon as I get more $20, after that I pretend to update the threads about the results, thanks for the help :)

7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Errr, good luck finding one at that price lol. Don't mean to sound ominous but currently the cheapest new RX 580 should be around 550 euros. And to think i got a RX580 Saphire Nitro+ hardly used just like brand new a year ago from a friend for 100 euros.
    But at the same time i rejected buying a RTX 3070 for my birthday a few months back (November 1st) for 780 euros and now it sells for 1400 cheapest, if you can find one that is :rofl:
    To those who are optimistic about prices falling in the summer, i can only say they won't, at least not this year, i would suggest grab anything you can find in a decent -for your wallet- price.
    Cheers

8. Jedi_Knight

Jedi_Knight Kapellmeister

Words of Truth right there! From yoda they are.

9. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@Kuuhaku Have you tried older Nvidia drivers? Test the different versions going back one at time.

10. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

For Nvidia you should be using a Quadro series card at a minimum. 1GB or 2GB model will suffice for music production. Drivers still being updated for older Quadro cards.

RX 580 would be the way to go for AMD. If you want an AMD workstation card (similar to Quadro), look at the Radeon Pro WX series.

• List
  11. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

I found myself on this situation, the best deal I could get rn is a r9 380 for 125U$D
    Found a new rx 580 for 350 U$D too, but I have only 200 now

12. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Im not looking for nvidia anymore because I dont think I can find an Quadro for a decent price (at least I think) but if you have any suggestions, please tell me haha

13. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Yaay! No solution yet, after 15min I get audio pops and glitches dont matter what buffersize I choose, they come in 16 and all up 2048, literally no way to getting rid of it, to stop the pops I just select another buffersize (bigger or smaller, again, ir dosent matter) and it acts like a "refresh" for god-knows-why

14. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

If you go to Dell or HP sites, you will see their branded version of workstation cards from AMD (Pro WX )& NVidia (Quadro).

A 1GB WX or Quadro can be found for less than $150 U.S. usually. Before the big price bump a Dell Radeon Pro WX 2100 could be found for $114 U.S. $159 CDN.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • List
  15. VroundS

VroundS Kapellmeister

DPC monitoring is like Cinebench. Run once, run twice. Reboot, and run.
    3 different scores.
    It's the same with DPC latency monitor. Sometimes gets higher, sometimes low. DPC is way to sensitive to any system momentary spikes which may never happen in your DAW's processing. It makes no sense because Windows will most likely do background maintenance when the activity threshold falls below certain level. You may easily fall in to a trap of a blunt monitoring tool not being aware of the system's workflow therefore giving wrong values. The whole premise of DPC monitor seems to be blunt and dumb for modern systems.
    This tool can be useful in extreme circumstances. Like, when a service gets stuck in loop using too much RAM or CPU cycles. But you don't need DPC tool for that. Task manager is good enough to figure these situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

Thats a nice point! Thanks for sharing it