Benefits of Hackintosh?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by lordauricle, Jul 31, 2015.

1. lordauricle

lordauricle Member

thinking of switching from macbook air to a desktop pc because mba just too slow for what i wanna do :(

3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

If you do, make sure you get a really fast one, optimized for exactly what you want to accomplish.
    And one that is known to work well as a hacky.
    Also prepare for some work until the system runs well, it's not exactly a plug-and-play experience, I can tell you from my own experience.

4. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

It's very simple formula: Intel build = retail mac = no benefits. :like:

5. pimpdrop

pimpdrop Ultrasonic

Pros:
    Cheaper than retail equivalent
    Customizable - you can make it more specific to your needs than what Apple offers

Cons:
    Bugs/Crashes/Instability - some easy to fix, some unresolvable, some just time consuming to fix (searching forums, testing multiple fixes, etc...)
    OS Software updates can be dangerous

If you use recommended components/configurations to built a hackintosh you won't have as many issues. I've been on hackintosh since 2008 and don't regret it.

6. lordauricle

lordauricle Member

plugins wise? i wanna use both windows and mac plugins if that makes sense.

7. thegerman1220

thegerman1220 Member

I built a hackintosh some time ago on an AMD processor. Yes, it was a pain in the ass to get it all to work (had to get a special usb wifi adapter, an additional usb3 card to get access to my RAID array, and get a special Niresh kernel to work with the AMD processor....to name a few), but at the end of the day, it worked *perfectly*. Used it to produce music in Logic Pro X and it worked surprisingly well. There were some issues where my CPUs would get overloaded, but that was mostly because of the hacked kernel inefficiencies...but like I said, it ran everything very well.

If you're gonna go down this path, be sure your hardware matches compatibility with hackintosh builds. be prepared to do troubleshooting. get a piece of software that allows you to do partition/hard drive snapshots for easy recovery (i used Paragon).

I'm a big geek, so this was a fun project for me. if you're not technical, i would not recommend it.

either way, have fun & enjoy!!!

8. Riansky

Riansky Kapellmeister

I've tryed a macintosh on AMD cpu. Were struggling with few kernels but managed to get it working. But the thing is, the most important thing didnt work. Sound. There were constant crackles in ti, tryed several .kext's but no luck. So I reverted back to windows.

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i heard it prevents cancer.

on topic:
    yeah AMD is hard to get working with OSX. when you plan to setup a hackintosh, i would avoid AMD, because you have to set lots of flags and it takes ages to figure out (IF possible) to get the cpu working with OSX. i gave up on my AMD CPU long time ago. its a bit sad, because i wanted to reverse mac apps for fun.

alternative one could setup a Virtualbox and install OSx there, its easier and you cant destroy your windows, but its also problematic, because the VM doesnt emulate the CPU, so you will run in the same problem like with a normal install.

10. nikroma

nikroma Newbie

Ive been running a hackintosh for years, built a few in my experience and they have always been amazing. Sure you have to be a little technical inorder to get them working perfectly, but its fun and educational to learn. I love my hackintosh and am building 3 for people as we speak! Fuck apple!

11. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

At the same time? That would make no sense whatsoever.

Written on an osx workstation, I presume?

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i guess he means AU only plugins and there are also OSX only apps for audio.

13. pimpdrop

pimpdrop Ultrasonic

Windows plugins don't work natively in Mac OS, PERIOD, hackintosh or real mac. The same is true vice versa.

You can install Windows and Mac OS, then keep switching between both, but still the Mac only plugins won't work in Windows and Windows only won't work in Mac OS. This is a waste of time and disk space IMO.

Lastly, there is a this clever setup that makes it possible to use Windows plugins on a Mac, BUT it is complicated, has latency issues, and can't be saved/loaded in your daw.

My advice is choose one, Windows or Mac. Each have plenty plugins available, but none worth the hassle trying to use both. And if making music is what you care about, then having access to every available plugin shouldn't be important.

14. lordauricle

lordauricle Member

its just that i want a faster rig for production and dont wanna buy a pricey mac desktop :( but if i switch to windows i cant use mac plugins </3 and kinda tempted/curios bout the audio benefits in windows 10
    edit: dude that was dumb lmao im so stupid thats the point of hackintosh right? thanks for the repliesss<3

15. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

well as a guitarist or keyboard player if they only need one instrument?
    Hackintosh is great and we can also boot in windows an linux.
    OSs is just one more tool to learn.
    There are a lot of projects easy to build and if can also transform what you have with OS X.
    I really love OS X and logic, so no doubt for me!

16. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Producer

If you go the hacktosh route i would search up "Niresh hackintosh" as it makes it a lot easier do it his way. Be prepared for a lot of frustration and troubleshooting though if you don't have a custom built pc with all the correct parts.

17. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

already builded like 10 hackintosh for myself and some friends and never a single problem,in my recent hackintosh build i spend around $1.500 dollars,my new hackintosh is working like a beast.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Nightwalker

Fuck apple!?and you are using apple software

19. lordauricle

lordauricle Member

can i know what your rigs like?

20. Nightwalker

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA 1150

INTEL CORE I7-4790K

CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 300R CASE

CORSAIR RM750 FM 80+G ATX PSU

SAMSUNG E 250GB 850 EVO SSD

CRUCIAL 32GB 8X4 D3 1600

LG 16X SATA BD BURNER

SEAGATE 2TB

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5

Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

21. xsze

xsze Guest

If you aren't using Logic, than there's no benefits at all, majority of DAW's perform better on Windows and you have more plugins on your disposal, also backwards compatibility is good.

I were using hackintosh wiht Logic, which is my favorite DAW, but without Logic, I wouldn't even bother sincerely, maybe that's just me :unsure:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List