Being Creative With Sampling

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Trevor Gordon, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

Thought I'd share some of the tireless trial and errors tied with experimenting when it comes to samples:

So I've been working on another Deep House genre track, and I wanted to delve into a little guitar, but I really didn't want it sounding too diverse and melodic. I was looking to create something more atmospheric/rhythmic like-more of an FX. Well, 2 hours later-cutting parts I wanted and placing it into a riff I liked, I finally managed to come up with the sound I wanted. It was fun to create! (Guitar riff courtesy of my buddy in Denmark)

Original Guitar:
    https://clyp.it/vtpa5wls

Revised Guitar:
    https://clyp.it/nv30v233

3. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I don't know if it counts as sampling, but this is what I did to make some atmospheric pads and background and make the sounds change throughout the whole track (it's pretty basic techniques but maybe some newbies like me don't know). I just want to share some of the things I did in exchange for the forum's help I received.

First off I took a background sample of some sort, it was a field recording I think. Applied lots of processing and some other layering, and especially lots of reverb. So I ended up with a 15-20 seconds background sound in the key of G.
    Then I duplicated it throughout the whole track (with crossfading to smooth it out, it's pretty easy to do in FL Studio, you just overlap them and select Cut Itself and then apply one of the options: bleeding, transients, etc).
    I wasn't really happy because, even though it's a background thing, it was still static because after those 20 seconds it repeated: there was no change in frequencies or sound or timbre. I set up some send channels and routed the basic sound into them and applied different effects: one of them had pitch shifting, another had a pitch-delay, another one distortion and so on. Throughout the whole track I assigned the send parameters to my controllers on my Impact LX 49 (professional quality keyboard right here ;) and started playing around, making changes when needed or just at random. When I played it back it sounded more like a long drone evolving, opening and closing at times, with more fluidity.

Short version: to make a background sound more dynamic I automated the send amount on various effects; end.

:speaker: